Re: Mass Effect 1 Will not launch on Windows 7 64 bit

by Leotrak

Original Post

Mass Effect 1 Will not launch on Windows 7 64 bit

★★★ Newbie

Before april 15 I had a working copy of Mass Effect 1 from the Mass effect Trilogy box set. While my computer had a working copy of the the game the specs were as follows; AMD 7770, 8GBS 1333MHZ RAM, AMD FX-4100, and 20 gbs of space free. Around the 15th day of that month i received a new video card, an MSI AMD R7970 3gb graphics card, and a new phantom 410 gaming case. Before i migrated cases I uninstalled mass effect 1 and, reinstalled windows 7 professional 64 bit. On my new OS After plenty of updates to the OS and Hardware i reinstalled Mass effect 1 A total of 4 times. Once downloading and installing. Then 3 times uninstalling and Reinstalling it with the hard copy with no luck. The game displays no type of error message. It just fails to launch after "synching my cloud files". I have tried running origin and Mass effect in compatability mode. and i have also tried to run programs as administrator with no luck. Please help EA / Helpful people.... I was almost finished...:mansad:

Message 1 of 6 (14,043 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Did you follow the instructions found in this topic: "[Information] Mass Effect 1 and Windows 7 - You need patch 1.02 to play", which is pinned to the top of the forum?

Message 2 of 6 (13,966 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Seems rather obvious that he had V1.02, since he said he almost finished the game...

Regardless, I currently have the same problem. Mass Effect simply refuses to start. The only change to my system is new drivers for my NVidia GeForce 250 GTS card...

Other info: bought the game in the trilogy pack offered on Origin, finished the game twice, imported one of those to ME2 to continue, and later ME3, which I finished this week. Now I want to play again starting from ME1, and suddenly, game says no T_T

And yes, my ME1 is V1.02, so more serious answers would be appreciated...

Addition: I had Origin check over the game files as well, and Origin told me there were zero errors to fix.

Message 3 of 6 (13,961 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok, so, I looked around a little more on here, and found this:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect/Mass-Effect-won-t-start/m-p/282278

I follow the offered solution, and suddenly, magically, ME1 works fine. Even after shutting Origin down and starting it up again normally.

Why is this even necessary at all?

Seriously, what the fudge is up with this? T_T"

Message 4 of 6 (13,958 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Leotrak wrote:

Seems rather obvious that he had V1.02, since he said he almost finished the game...

No, he didn't "almost finish the game" on his current rig,

I quote: "... uninstalled mass effect 1 and, reinstalled windows 7 professional 64 bit. On my new OS..."

Which is why I asked the question.

Message 5 of 6 (13,952 Views)

★★ Novice

... Oh. Right. Overlooked that tidbit, my apologies T_T"

Regardless, running Origin as Administrator worked on my end, so maybe that's the solution for the OP as well, in case he does have V1.02 installed properly... Him and the dozen other people who've made threads about not being able to run ME1 ">_>

Message 6 of 6 (13,944 Views)