Mass Effect 1 Crashing Windows 10

by Razgriz096

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 1 Crashing Windows 10

★★★ Novice

Alright, I am just going to get straight to the point here. I bought Mass Effect trilogy in November. I had no issues running it at all up until now. Today the game has been crashing every time I start the game. The message I am constantly getting is as follows:

General protection fault!

History: GMatrix2D::Swap() Address = 0x10bb5c66 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe] Address = 0x153c3de4 (filename not found)

As mentioned in the title I use windows 10. Now I have already tried a few fixes but nothing worked. My previous attempts include: 

Trying to uninstall and install twice, troubleshooting compatibility, and running as administrator. 

I am honestly quite frustrated. I would appreciate some help to resolve this issue.

Message 1 of 4 (2,638 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 1 Crashing Windows 10

Hero

General protection fault is usually caused by incompatible hardware or drivers. It can also be caused by file corruption (repairing often works when reinstalling doesn't) and/or if you have mods installed.

Could you post a detailed overview of your computer hardware and driver versions? The easiest way to do this is by posting a dxdiag report. Follow the instructions here, then paste the contents of the text file in http://www.hastebin.com and share the link here.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (2,886 Views)

All Replies

Hero

General protection fault is usually caused by incompatible hardware or drivers. It can also be caused by file corruption (repairing often works when reinstalling doesn't) and/or if you have mods installed.

Could you post a detailed overview of your computer hardware and driver versions? The easiest way to do this is by posting a dxdiag report. Follow the instructions here, then paste the contents of the text file in http://www.hastebin.com and share the link here.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 4 (2,887 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thank you. Because you mentioned the drivers, it gave me a idea. Which is something I should have done first was check on my drivers. Well that was were the problem lay. If you are familiar with Code 43 that was the issue. Windows had turned off my drivers. It was a simple fix from there. Thank you for the help.
Message 3 of 4 (2,616 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I updated the GPU driver and it fixed the issue for me.

I am using Nvidia GTX 1080

Message 4 of 4 (2,610 Views)