Mass Effect 1-2 Import Character Failure (PS3)

by quarianpirate

Original Post

Highlighted

Mass Effect 1-2 Import Character Failure (PS3)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

A few months ago, I purchased Mass Effect 2 from the online PS3 store and played it. I recently bought the first of the trilogy from the online store, and now I'd like to import my character from the first game into the second. However, whenever I open Mass effect 2 and choose the "New Game - Import ME1 Character" option, it checks for saves and then does not display them. It just shows an empty box and gives me no other option than to exit the screen. I know a lot of people have been having troubles with this, but most of the people I've read about have had issues with regions blocks due to having disc sets from different countries. I bought both ME1 and ME2 from the US PS3 online store, just in case that makes a difference. Should I re-download the game? Should I wait for a new patch? What should I do?

Message 1 of 10 (12,258 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1-2 Import Character Failure (PS3)

Community Manager

Hi immadragon13,

Please read here:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect/Importing-Profile-from-Mass-Effect-To-Mass-Effect-2-PS3/m-p/320...

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 2 of 10 (12,138 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for getting back to me, but I had already downloaded the patch 1.04 when this problem occurred. The patch gives the "Import ME1 Character" option when I click "New Game," but it does not display any of my saves from Mass Effect 1. It just shows me a blank screen after "searching for save files." 

Message 3 of 10 (12,047 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

the problem for me is that when i exit out of ME1 the enter existing ID option for a new game disappears, which obviously means ME2 will not be able to see it when i ask to import a ME1 character.

i have the game patched,

i have removed game data for both ME and ME2 and reinstalled both

the final save after defeating Saren is not 'staying saved'

check to see if you can still 'enter existing ID' when starting a new game in ME1

Message 4 of 10 (11,702 Views)

★★ Novice

I've had this exact same problem, as have many of my friends.
I am almost ashamed of EA for this. Mass Effect is such a great series, but this problem has not been rectified ruining it. It's horrendous  .

Message 5 of 10 (10,011 Views)

★★★ Newbie
EA please fix this issue. I bought Mass Effect online and now can't continue my awesome story into ME2. What is this?
Message 6 of 10 (9,955 Views)

★★★ Newbie

yep... also having this problem. my  ME1 character "imports" but only the name, everything else resets as if I were starting a brand new game in ME2. tried importing a couple times to see if it was a fluke and it wasn't... this really sucks! was looking forward to playing through the entire series with one character.

Message 7 of 10 (9,944 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Whoever's genius idea it was to port me2 to ps3 first pretty much effed up the whole thing for ps3. Can't they just make another patch???

Message 8 of 10 (9,704 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have the trilogy edition for ps3 and though the option to import character is there, it is not showing up on my me2. I have all the patches. What I don't understand is that my daughter was able to import her character and I wasn't. Do you think it's due to the fact that I already had a character saved on me2? She used a different profile for her trilogy games? I am so upset that my perfectly paragon character is not saved! I guess I'll have to play it all over again on a different profile. This really stinks.... I felt like flying the Normandy up.... oh never mind. Please help!
Message 9 of 10 (7,923 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello!  I am also having this problem on the PS/3.  I complete Mass Effect, and there is a saved game; if I then, staying in Mass Effect, start a new career, I can use the existing id to start at new game (at level 50, same class, et al).

However, if I exit Mass Effect, then reload it, I cannot start a new game with the same character.

If I load up Mass Effect 2, the option to import a character exists, but it lists no importable characters.  We have the 1.04 patch installed; and this works for my wife's account, just not for mine!

It really seems like Mass Effect is not flushing something to the hard drive, because the fact that it fails to find its own completed game profile suggests the problem is not with Mass Effect 2.

I really enjoyed ME2/3 and the character continuity; I was looking forward to repeating the experience with all three games, please let me know if this is possible!

(updatedStandard smile If it helps at all, the version of Mass Effect is the single-title, downloaded from the PSN, Mass Effect 2 is the disk version, and was the one that came with a host of extra stuff.  Any other details can be furnished as required.

(another update)  playing through the endgame again, I didn't see anywhere that it saved, after we successfully beat Saren.  Shouldn't it?

Thanks!

ANNND... this worked for me; hopefully it works for you!  I didn't bother backing up the data, so the deletion was kind of nerve-wracking (will I lose my lvl 51 character?  WE SHALL SEE) but the import worked out ok, all the data seems to have come across, so yay!

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-1/Importing-Mass-Effect-1-saves-PS3/m-p/560114#M1494

Message 10 of 10 (7,359 Views)