ME1 PS3 version, decryption minigames way too fast (possibly bugged)

by FenrisWolf1976

Original Post

Re: ME1 PS3 version, decryption minigames way too fast (possibly bugged)

★★★★★ Novice

Not complaining about ME1, in general, just the silly mini-game.  I love the game, the whole trilogy, but elevators, driving endlessly looking for unmapped items and this mini-game make ME1 the least played of the three.  While I've played ME2 & ME3 each about 8 times, I've only played ME1 4 times (I've got the whole trilogy on X-Box 360 as well as PS3).

As for the thread, I don't believe there is actually a timer.  I've deliberately let it fail looking for a timer, but all I see are alternating lines that shrink completely random and have no specific timing to them.  I don't believe those are timers, so much as just decoration.  When starting off, the timing is ridiculously fast.  I generally max out Tali's Electronics and Decryption skills and bring her along everywhere.  Once maxed out, the games are usually bearable.

Message 11 of 36 (7,464 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Timer is on upper part of that minigame window. It's horizontal bar that runs out really fast. On background there are vertical lines that keep going up and down and they are just for decoration. 

I have ME1 for PC and I have played it through for at least 10 times, but since minigame is different in pc (and I don't have xbox) i can't really compare

Message 12 of 36 (7,458 Views)

★ Novice

Are the people who are saying that there is no bug playing the disc or the downloaded version?  My friend has the disc version and says hers is fine, so I suspect the problem may just be with the PSN download version.

Do the EA help people read these posts?

Does anyone know how do we get them to address the problem?

Message 13 of 36 (7,428 Views)

★ Novice
As EA specifies this page is now supposed to be the help center - they do not answer to any question in social.bioware.com
Message 14 of 36 (7,408 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I went ahead and took video to compare with a metronome. The time you have to push the right button is significantly under 1/2 second on my game. Average human "choice" reaction time is at least 1/3 second under more favorable conditions than a console game can usually give you (due to four different buttons and various types of lag), so it's pretty safe to say that this is near (or past) the limit of what most people can pull off most of the time, even with practice. On a personal note, I've tried about a dozen times, 4 of which I got one button on, none of which I got two on. I'm trying to figure out if I can reduce the lag in my TV enough to help.

(New game, hard core, 4 points in decryption on Shepard, the first one on Eden Prime, download, not disk)
Message 15 of 36 (7,328 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Aha! My TV has a game mode that shaved off a tenth of a second. It's quite doable with that on. Odd that it wasn't even noticeable when I was shooting things, but made it impossible to do the minigame...
Message 16 of 36 (7,327 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I was having the same problem with the disc version. quantheory 's method of switching the tv's display setting to game fixed the issue!!!  I played half the game having to open every SINGLE decryption crate with omnigel, now I have beaten the last 5 decryption minigames!

Message 17 of 36 (7,318 Views)

★★ Novice

It's definitely harder than it was on the XBOX. I just save before doing it. Sometimes i'd hit the button and it wouldn't register. If you get too pissed off by it there's plenty of useless items to melt down into omnigel

Message 18 of 36 (7,313 Views)

★★★ Newbie

same for me.

i have psn download version from store region 3, playing on veteran difficulty.

i only complete first challange, with 20x retries. the second and the third pissed me off,  quit the game. and try some googling(mass effect decrypting ps3) and voila, im not alone

I've been running my tv set in game mode.

...maybe i will try lower the resolution (to increase respond times??)

Message 19 of 36 (6,785 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@pmansveld wrote:

Are the people who are saying that there is no bug playing the disc or the downloaded version?  My friend has the disc version and says hers is fine, so I suspect the problem may just be with the PSN download version.

Do the EA help people read these posts?

Does anyone know how do we get them to address the problem?

a)  No, the EA Help people do NOT read these forums.  These are for "player-to-player" self-help.  We're just fellow gamers, doin' the best we can. Confusedmileywink:

b)  You can post "suggestions" regarding your issue at the Support Community Idea Exchange, (explanation and link on the main AHQ page) but that's really designed more for thoughts on how to organize these forums.

c)  The only way to reach the "official" EA Support Staff is at http://help.ea.com, and use the "Contact Us - Get back in the game" link.

Message 20 of 36 (6,781 Views)