Re: ME1 PS3 version, decryption minigames way too fast (possibly bugged)

by overthedge

Original Post

★ Guide

I am going to have to agree with those that think it's bugged, because I'm trying the downloaded version on my Xbox 360 and I am trying to do manual bypass on the probes and it won't work. I hit all the buttons, but it keeps telling me I fail. I really hope there is not one of these mini game coming up that is essential to the game because I won't be able to finish then

Message 21 of 36 (3,430 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just started my first playthrough on this in the XBox version of this game. I ran into a similar problem with being unable to get a single hit on these decrypts, I mean I could barely get one let alone the minimum of three a row. After some thought, and a few brews I started to think about how I had the system hooked up to the television. Sure enought I passed the HDMI through the XBox One and to the TV. By disconnecting the XBox from the XBox one and running it straight to the TV I noticed a drastic decrease in the amount of time that the key procs to when I have to hit it. I'm getting close to every one I run into now. So heres a heads up: this can be possible for any case where you pass your HDMI through the reciever, XBox One or any other device that has HDMI pass through. It has a chance of reducing the speed at which the game knows you see the button light up to when you actually see it light up on the screen.

Message 22 of 36 (2,879 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I had trouble at first, but figured it out.  If you hit each button prompt and hold it for just a split second longer, then it registers.  Do that for all 3 button presses and it should work. Took me about 10 tries to figure it out, but after I realized what to do, got it on first try.

PS3 digital download, TV in game mode.

Example: Triangle comes up, press triangle then hold it for a split second, Square comes up, press square, then hold it for a split second, X comes up, press X, then hold it for a split second. 

Message 23 of 36 (2,535 Views)

★★ Novice

I found these annoying too.

It felt like there was some 'special' way to press the buttons...which I mostly didn't do.

On one hard decyrption, I was flying along getting them right and then...I failed.

It really feels like the game is cheating you by saying "You didn't say 'Simon says' when you pressed that last button...FAIL!".

Not a fan of this 'game'.

Message 24 of 36 (2,487 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Turning on my TV's "game mode" fixed this issue for me. The mini-games are still hard, but I went from failing on the first button 95% of the time to being able to solve 5-long sequences 90% of the time. It was clearly the main culprit. Thanks to Quantheory for the idea.

Message 25 of 36 (1,779 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I had the same problem. For me it was the tv. I had to turn game mode on to get the picture on the tv moving fast enough. A lot of smart tv's introduce a lag so as to put up the best picture. This is bad for gaming lol!
Message 26 of 36 (1,764 Views)

Hero

@jehufham wrote:
I had the same problem. For me it was the tv. I had to turn game mode on to get the picture on the tv moving fast enough. A lot of smart tv's introduce a lag so as to put up the best picture. This is bad for gaming lol!

I'm glad that worked for you. Frame interpolation does indeed cause some lag, which is especially bad in fast-paced games. My PC has it as well and I always disable this feature when I play games on it.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 27 of 36 (1,756 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Alas the game mode didn't fix it on my Vizio (2015 M-class).  While perhaps my TV's game mode may still not be up to snuff, I still put most of the fault on the game. I've never had this issue with the solos in Brutal Legend.

Message 28 of 36 (1,410 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@Archangel022016 wrote:

Alas the game mode didn't fix it on my Vizio (2015 M-class).  While perhaps my TV's game mode may still not be up to snuff, I still put most of the fault on the game. I've never had this issue with the solos in Brutal Legend.

Update:

In case anyone is still playing this, what FINALLY fixed for me was using a new controller.  In my case it's a cheap off-brand PS3 controller that I picked up a few months ago as a spare.

It appears I now have a full second to press each button in sequence, whereas before it would immediately fail after pressing the first button. My guess is that the old controllers, while

they work everywhere else, are worn out just enough to not register the key presses fast enough.

Message 29 of 36 (1,382 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I'm using two different Sony DS controllers and I find these 'key hit' puzzles to be SUPER frustrating. I'm wondering if the key presses can register as double hits due to an overly sensitive controller?

At any rate. I totally understand that some people do develop a knack for doing them. However, they are a minor part of the game and should be much much easier (at least the Quest ones). I have literally spent a half hour or more trying to salvage a satellite. It's a silly little quest that I won't complete due to frustration.

My first ME game was Andromeda. I've always wanted to play the ME series but didn't start gaming again until around ME3. Not wanting to start at the end, I avoided the series until last month. I fully expected an older game to have seem a little dated, but not this frustrating. 

I loved the glyph puzzles in ME:A and the block puzzle in ME1 is neat.... but a have not got a loot locker without omni-gel yet. 

Message 30 of 36 (1,257 Views)