Installing from disk fails with no visible error

by rmdan23

Original Post

Re: Installing from disk fails with no visible error

★★★ Newbie

Im trying to do the install from the Disks. I have not tried the download due to an unreliable internet conection.

Message 11 of 25 (678 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I understand that.  Do the disks give you the option of only installing one of the three games?  (Probably a custom install option)

Message 12 of 25 (676 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Each game comes with 2 disks(total 6). There is one activation code that allows for individual download/install of each game. I have not tried installing the other two games yet.

Message 13 of 25 (674 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Ah, ok.  I haven't tried a disk-based install and wasn't sure how they packaged it.  So I guess that's what you're already doing, then.

Message 14 of 25 (670 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Just a thought.  You might be able to install the game in compatibility mode.  That is, right click on the installer, go to properties, compatibility tab, then set to Windows XP SP3 and check Run as Administrator then try the install again.

Message 15 of 25 (669 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I dont think it is a system problem, but a problem with origin itself. System problems would have raised an error message.

Message 16 of 25 (666 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Mass Effect 1 has compatibility issues with anything above Windows XP.  I'm not sure if it matters for installing.  It didn't for me, but I installed via Origin and not the disks.  

It may not help you, but the compatibility issues with later versions of Windows are well known.  It would not hurt to try, and it might help.  Assuming, of course, that the current install fails.

Message 17 of 25 (663 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I ended up bypasssing origin for the install.

I extracted the zip files from both disks, copied them into the correct directory, then started the download. This then only had to download the 2-3 corrupted files plus patch data only. After that origin finished the install without further issue.

Message 18 of 25 (1,067 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Kudos!  I clearly underestimated you.    So can you now play the game?

Message 19 of 25 (655 Views)

★★★ Newbie

With some minor graphical issues I am able to play. Nothing I did not expect or impacts playability. 

Message 20 of 25 (650 Views)