Re: Importing Mass Effect 1 saves [PS3]

by gameboy383

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Has it been confirmed that the versions are region locked? I have ME1 on UK PSN, and ME2 US disc and can't import. I'm assuming this is a region thing (yes despite it not being a problem for ME2 to ME3) and am looking at getting a UK disc version of ME2, but looking to see if this has been the solution for others in my position.

Message 81 of 129 (5,615 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@kotiro

I had your setup, EU ME1 and US ME2, didn't work. I bought the EU ME2 disc and it worked right away.
Message 82 of 129 (5,607 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Does anyone know what exact information is transferred over from ME1 to ME2?  When I look to transfer my character info from ME1 to ME2 it gives me:Name, Rank, Military Specialization, Psychological Profile, Status of Wrex, Missing In Action and Council History.

There seems to be some choices I made missing from ME1 like Rachni Queen, Love interest and who I picked to join the council.  Is this normal or something wrong with my save file?

Message 83 of 129 (5,582 Views)

★★ Novice

Dear @eaursula,

Do we really have to use same region disks? 

There's an issue here because I can use UK ME2 characters into US ME3.

Still hoping for a fix... :manfrustrated:

Message 84 of 129 (5,571 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@thedoctor39

For some reason it only defines those as the important decisions, but those SHOULD still be in the game. Those don't get mentioned a whole lot, at least not as often as the others. Also the one you will have to select the person you picked for the Council again, not sure why but everyone I've talked to has said the same. I was confused on that as well. (If you are a Doctor Who fan, I will just say you are awesome)

Message 85 of 129 (5,563 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am playing on the North American versions of this game, I purchased the trilogy for PS3 when it was first released.

After beating Mass Effect 1 I encountered the same problems that many of us in this thread have also faced. I scouted the internet for several days trying numerous possible solutions. After deleting and reinstalling the patch, game data for both ME1 and 2, I tried what another user on this forum had stated, and that was to upload my data to Playstation Plus, and unfortunately paying $18 to do so.

I had only one completed playthrough, and one playthrough total saved. I uploaded my ME1 data (Profile, Character, and Game) saves to the Plus Cloud. I then deleted both my game data and profile data, keeping only my playthrough records. After starting up ME2 I was then able to import my game data to start a new game.

I don't believe that in order for this to work you HAVE to join playstation plus, although I was very hesitant to just up and delete my level 50 character with 42 hours played, knowing I wouldn't have a back-up plan.

I hope this clears up some confusion for those who were wondering whether or not it worked -- hopefully this will be patched very soon, as I hope I don't run into the same problems when I begin playing the third installment. Standard smile

Message 86 of 129 (5,538 Views)

★★ Novice

Rafa, I'm a brazilian too. Same situation here: ME1 from PSN (Brazil) and ME2 Disc (Region 2: Europe).

Did you have any progress in the resolution of this problem?

Message 87 of 129 (5,451 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hey guys, I'm having the same problem as a lot of people in this thread.  I'm going to reiterate my problem, although I know it's been said before by other people. I own ME2 as a standalone as well as the Collector's Edition of ME3.  But I bought the trilogy when it was released because I wanted to own a physical copy of ME1.  I played through ME1 and had no problems importing my first Shepard straight to ME2 and then to ME3.  I decided, however, to play through with a different Shepard.  After I defeated Saren, it took me back to the start screen.  It had been a couple of months since my first playthrough and I couldn't remember if the game takes you back to the start screen or the Normandy.  I assumed it had been the start screen so I quit the game and immediately popped in ME2.  After selecting New, it gave me the option to do an ME1 import, but when I clicked on the link, it was empty.  A little concerned, I put in ME1 again, thinking it hadn't saved after my battle correctly.  I immediately noticed there was no option for a New+ game.  Confused, I hit Resume and it took me back to the battle with Saren.  I defeated him again and repeated what I said before.

The main reason I'm posting here, however, is not to simply state that I have a problem but a few questions regarding some of the possible "fixes" people have been mentioning.  I'm very concerned about losing all my data, so I'm going to ask if someone is kind enough to walk me through the possible solutions step-by-step.  I don't tend to mess with data on my system (aside form deleting a game I know I'm not going to play again).  However, since ME can be so time-consuming, losing all my data would be a bit more...devistating than some other games.  I'm going to bold the most important aspects of my questions for tl:dr.

Okay, here's my questions:

These questions are about deleting Mass Effect 1 files specifically for the possible "fix"

1) When people say they copy their save games to the Cloud (yes, I have PS+), are you talking about the information in the Saved Data Utility (PS3) folder?  And do you mean the specific character data for each character created (ex. Mass Effect: San - Vanguard - Creation Date - Location) or do you mean the Mass Effect Profile: Game Progress/Settings file and Mass Effect Playthrough Records: Character replay file? If I upload the specific, individual character saves to the cloud but not the Progress/Settings and Playthrough Records, what happens?  Or vice versa?  Is the the information needed on my individual characters saved in their individual saves or are they saved in the Playthrough Records file, too?  In other words, I'm asking if I upload my individual character data to the cloud, but not the game specific files (Progress/Settings and Playthrough Records), do my saves still exist?  Can I still access them when I redownload from the cloud and reinstall the game?  Can I then hit Load in the menu screen and play those files or do I need all the files to play those characters again?

2) So the first question is about the information stored in the Saved Data Utility (PS3) folder.  Now I want to know about the information in the Game Data Utility.  Do I have to delete the Mass Effect Game Data file there, too?  If I delete that first does all the other data simply disappear?

Okay, these questions deal with deleting files for ME2 as a possible "fix".

3) Pretty much the same question as Soccer ball above, except with ME2.  I know that these files are not locked and I can simply download them onto another system account or a USB, so there is less fear of losing the information.  My concern here, however, is about the DLC and Patches file in my Game Data Utility folder.  When I delete the Mass Effect 2 Game Data file, do I also have to delete the DLC and Patches file?  Will I be able to redownload the patches and files when I reinstall?  I know the DLCs are actually linked to my EA Account, so I suppose it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm still concerned.  Mostly I'm concerned about the Cerberus Network, I suppose.  I won't have to re-enter my product key for that, will I?  It should be in my EA Account, too, correct?  And do patches automatically reinstall when I start the game up and download it?

TL;DR I'm very concerned with losing all my data, and I'm hoping someone will walk me step-by-step through the suggested fix(es) (either the ME1 or ME2 game deletions, as I've seen both mentioned) concerning uploading to the PS+ Cloud and then redownloading.  I know these may seem like silly questions, but all the "fixes" replies on here say slightly different things about what to delete, or they omit all data that needs deleting.  Saying "game data" means a lot of different things to me (Game Data Utility vs.. Saved Game Utility or specifically, individual character information vs.. Profile Game Progress/Settings vs.. Playthrough Records).

I appreciate anyone who actually takes the time to read my post let alone do as it asks.  I tend to get carried away when I write.  Also, if any of this doesn't make sense, let me know that, too.  I'm writing this in a hurry while a bit agitated.

Message 88 of 129 (5,442 Views)

★★★★ Novice

If it makes you feel better, I saved every single bit of saved data to my Cloud (playthrough data and my character data), becauseI had no idea what was important. Everything you install on the cloud is still there you won't lose any of it or somehow not be able to use it. Then delete the data on the PS3. Also go ahead and delete the game data ( not saved data) for Mass Effect 2, along with the patches Then, after you have waited the ridiculous 24 hours, download only the playthrough data on the PS3(go ahead and keep the rest on the cloud) Then install Mass Effect 2 again. The patches will install as the did the first time. Yes, you will have to enter in all of you EA data again and the promotional code. Then when the main  menu loads choose new and it should say "Import ME character" if not post another comment.

Message 89 of 129 (5,422 Views)

★★★ Novice

Uploading my data to the Cloud and then deleting all game data/dlc/patches from my system did not fix the issue.  The option for a New+ game did became available in ME1 when it was not previously available, but the Import ME1 Character option in Me2 is still empty when I choose it.  Obviously this fix does not work for everyone.  Hopefully EA is working on a solution.

Message 90 of 129 (5,397 Views)