Re: How do I import my Mass Effect 1 character into Mass Effect 2, and 3?

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

How do I import my Mass Effect 1 character into Mass Effect 2, and 3?

★★★ Novice

I have bought the Triology-pack on CD. I launch the game via Origin. When I try to import my character from ME 1 into Me2 it doesn't find anything. How do I solve this?

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 44 (126,702 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Did you completely finish ME1 before attempting to import into ME2?  The game doesn't create the final import character until you have beaten Saren and finished the following dialogue.  Same deal with ME2 -> ME3.  The import character isn't created until you have finished the Suicide Mission and have survived.

Once ME1 is finished, open ME2, create New Character and then choose Import ME1 Character.

EDIT: I should mention that my experience is with X-Box 360 and PS3.  It seems you're running on PC, so I may have part of the import instructions wrong.

Message 2 of 44 (126,234 Views)

Hero

On PC you have to open the configuration utility and manually locate the save folder. This step is not necessary in ME3.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 44 (126,233 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ah, problem solved (after some file-hunting and a great deal of words I wouldn't use in front of my mother). Thanks guys! 

Message 4 of 44 (126,179 Views)

★ Novice

Could you tell me how you did it? Im having the same issue. Dont know how to open that configuration tool. Thanks!

Message 5 of 44 (125,784 Views)

Hero

@iliad07 wrote:

Could you tell me how you did it? Im having the same issue. Dont know how to open that configuration tool. Thanks!

If you version of Mass Effect 2 doesn't launch with a splash screen, then you have to locate the config utility manually. Locate the folder where Mass Effect is installed. Then go to Binaries and open 'MassEffect2Config'. There's a button on the left about save games. After clicking it, a button appears called 'copy Mass Effect 1 saves' that allows you to browse to the folder containing your save files. The folder is usually Documents - BioWare - Mass Effect - Save. Once you're there, simply click OK. There's no fancy message or anything, but it should be fine now.

Message 6 of 44 (125,757 Views)

★★ Novice

I downloaded Mass Effect from Origin and can't find any save files (are they in the cloud). I finished the game completely. I'm trying to also import my character into ME2, which I installed from a disc. The steps indicated here don't work. How do I get my ME 1 character into ME2?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 44 (125,614 Views)
Highlighted

Hero

I think that even if you allow cloud saving, your saves are stored locally as well. There has to be a BioWare folder under documents since it contains your config files. Are you able to locate that?

Message 8 of 44 (125,581 Views)

★★ Novice

Ha! You're right, I seem to have 2 folders with ME files in them, one was in a different location and I found the save files. I will give that a shot. Thank you so much!!!

Message 9 of 44 (125,558 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I still can't find any of the save files do you know where they are

Message 10 of 44 (124,654 Views)