Re: 5.1 surround on Win7 with ASUS Xonar DSX

by Harbinger-HU

Original Post

Accepted Solution

5.1 surround on Win7 with ASUS Xonar DSX

★★★★ Novice

I've read forums and threads here and there, but so far I don't find a solution or an answer. I can or I can't get 5.1 sound for Mass Effect iwth a ASUS Xonar DSX soundcard. I really done everything, edited ini file, disable other sound output, etc. The soundcard has an GX 2.5 function, which provide a support for older DirectSound/OpenAL games. So far there's many games, even pretty old - like AVP 2000, System Shock 2 - which has proper surround sound with this function. But Mass Effect only split the sound on Left, Right and Center speaker, the surround just... Well, they have sound but mostyl dialogs comes from it or music.

My hardware support it, I know 128 channels aduio, 7.1 chanels, 192 KHz Hi-Fi, sound, you name it.

My PC specs:

Win7 Home Premium 32 bit

Pentium E5300

2 GB RAM

GT 440 1 GB

ASUS Xonar DSX (PCIe)

Genius SW-HF5.1 4500

Message 1 of 5 (1,793 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice

I finally managed to get an almost perfect sound for ME1. The issue lies beneath the config.exe. If you nor I checked the Sound tab it's said Speaker_Unknown or similar, if I use the default 5.1 speaker setting in Windows Control Panel -since I have a 5.1 system. So, I've tried just for fun ,what if I choose Quadrophonice or 7.1. Both worked and recognized via config.exe! But since ME1 use EAX I need to turn on the GX function, that's simple button activates DirectSound/OpenAL support under Vista/7. I should say it's emulates the SoundBlaster cards EAX support.

So what I did:

- choose 7.1 speakers in Windows Control Panel

- set 8 channels mixing with my ASUS soundcard control panel

- turn on GX function

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (1,940 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

This is what I have in the BioEngine.ini:

[ISACTAudio.ISACTAudioDevice]
MaxChannels=128
TimeBetweenHWUpdates=15.000000
MinOggVorbisDurationGame=20
MinOggVorbisDurationEditor=4
TotalAvailableChannels=128
DeviceName=
UseEffectsProcessing=True
ReserveChannels=2

There's some other lines as well, but those are automatically generated. This works on a Creative SoundBlaster Xtreme Audio.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 5 (1,786 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I finally managed to get an almost perfect sound for ME1. The issue lies beneath the config.exe. If you nor I checked the Sound tab it's said Speaker_Unknown or similar, if I use the default 5.1 speaker setting in Windows Control Panel -since I have a 5.1 system. So, I've tried just for fun ,what if I choose Quadrophonice or 7.1. Both worked and recognized via config.exe! But since ME1 use EAX I need to turn on the GX function, that's simple button activates DirectSound/OpenAL support under Vista/7. I should say it's emulates the SoundBlaster cards EAX support.

So what I did:

- choose 7.1 speakers in Windows Control Panel

- set 8 channels mixing with my ASUS soundcard control panel

- turn on GX function

Message 3 of 5 (1,941 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Do mark your solution post as the solution so that people can find it more easily!

Message 4 of 5 (1,702 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Funny, that solution doesn't work it anymore for me. :D However using 64 bit Win7 and a few newer hardware, but soundcard is the same.

Message 5 of 5 (1,131 Views)