The Kings Day Out: A Tutorial

by realitysquared

Original Post

Re: The Kings Day Out: A Tutorial

★★★★★ Expert

Feel your pain. Corn guy who drink slurpee suddenly doing husk hop while we're doing sun beam and pea gattling, leave us dumb founded. Total idiot.

Another time, the slurpee fall into the beaver lake, and when we jump to drink it, we died.

I tried all kind of Rose. It is good in survival on ice environment. But for some reason, her primary weapon (charged or regular attack) was struggling to knock down the snow man quickly.  Is this a defect?

Message 11 of 24 (2,212 Views)

@asukojo wrote:

Another time, the slurpee fall into the beaver lake, and when we jump to drink it, we died.

I kept wondering if that was going to happen, or even if the king's fool might fall off into it himself.  He sure seemed to like chilling out there, as far away from the yeti king as possible.  People reported the Sasquatch falling off the map for an instant win.

Message 12 of 24 (2,201 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Iron_Guard8

I played hours and hours of this Boss Hunt because my regular group couldn't get our schedules to line up to do more than a game or two together and that meant having to take whatever I was given in random games. I managed to only get up to the Diamond Yeti Crown and that was literally at the last session on the last day of the Hunt.

What I've noticed more than anything else is that your team mates had a huge impact on how "easy" or "hard" this particular Boss Hunt seemed to be while you played. A group of good players who knew how to use their characters, especially and preferably the two Stuffy Sunflower players, and Normal difficulty was essentially a paint-by-number walk through. The time restraint was tight on this one so messing up even one Spring's Radiance when you had the Super Sunshine Power would be enough delay for you to run out of time and I had a couple of Hard difficulty games messed up by Peashooters or Citrons drinking the slurpie and then rocketing off with their Hyper movement boost to get killed in seconds.

The thing which tripped up most of the teams I randomly got assigned to was simple inexperience due to brand new players, many of which were children, who were experiencing Boss Hunt for the very first time and many of which were probably facing off against what is essentially a Yeti Super Boss Wave for the first time as well.

It was definitely a tough one, but in my opinion more due to the make up of the teams more than what was required in the Hunt.

Message 13 of 24 (2,192 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Team makeup and skill/experience are most certainly the main issues but we had several times where the king would constantly move around the terrainm blocking LoS, and we would lose valuable time from the slushee buff. Between that and the often great distances between the fool and the king we lost a lot of time, causing us to lose even with solid teams.

The rainbow flower pot was immensely useful as it constantly broke the freezing that we were bombarded with. I really found the vampire flower was a great character for this boss hunt, even more than the Sasquatch hunt, my 2nd choice would likely be the Stuffy Flower with her heal bursts, but the vampire flower's life drain makes her very self-sufficient.

One of the wins on normal we had I was on the torchwood. The flame cone attack of his is huge against the hordes of imp yetis and it has a fairly fast recharge.

Message 14 of 24 (2,186 Views)

Hero (Retired)

In past Boss Hunts the Vampire Flower was my go-to, but for this one I found the Stuffy to be more useful as I could give healing to a distant teammate by simply shooting Browncoats or Yeti Imps which were harassing them and causing them to explode into healing drops and I just did better with her this time around. Initially I had hoped that the Vampire Flower would cure/prevent her own freezing with her self-healing ability by doing damage but that was sadly not the case.

I agree that the Rainbow Heal Flower with the constant dropping of Healing Drops was a lifesaver, as were the many roofed or covered areas which would protect us  from the Yeti calling down ice from the sky which was one of our biggest threats when we had multiple Yetis scampering around all at once.

I noticed that the game deliberately spawned the King's Fool on the opposite side of the map but we were usually able to lure him a bit close because when you shoot him he heads in your direction for payback, but we didn't waste a lot of time on that.

The Yeti King luckily wouldn't scamper as much as the normal Yeti does once you started really unloading on him during Spring's Radiance but if the player carrying it didn't position themselves properly we did sometimes have a problem with all of us getting a good line of sight while remaining in the damage buffing zone.

Despite my frustrations with team makeup I'm still looking forward to the next Boss Hunt. 

Message 15 of 24 (2,183 Views)

Hero (Retired)

The Kings Day Out has come around again so I'm giving this thread a bump.

Message 16 of 24 (2,002 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EA_Andy  could you please switch this out for spooky squash in the sticky topics if you get a chance?

edit - On second thought, maybe it might e best to just put all four boss hunt guides there, if they're going to cycle (as they clearly are).  This subform is not very cluttered and could handle four sticky topics, I think.

Message 17 of 24 (1,996 Views)

[ Edited ]

As noted in a current thread on reddit, the boss damage phase is called "Spring's Radiance."   Where did Super Sunshine Power come from, @realitysquared?  I'm figuring you noticed something I missed.

Message 18 of 24 (1,945 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Is there any real incentive to completing any boss hunt other than coins?

I've never been able to finish any boss hunt with random players Devil

Message 19 of 24 (1,935 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@pandareno1999

"Super Sunshine Power" is what flashes up on the screen briefly when you drink the King's Zhlurpee; but if you look up at the timer in the upper right corner it says "Springs Radiance". I don't know if both were supposed to be called the same thing or if the two different titles were intentional to indicate that the Plants have Super Sunshine Power during Springs Radiance.

Message 20 of 24 (1,928 Views)