Re: simcity.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

by S1th1c4s

Original Post

simcity.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

★★★ Newbie

I know this isn't specifically related to SimCity but it is the only game I own that is having this issue.

It plays splendidly for a while then black screen and nothing. Once I am able to end task on the game I see notifications of 'simcity.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware". I am running Windows 10 with an Intel i7 and GTX980.

Yes I am the administrator on this machine.

Message 1 of 5 (1,363 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Your power supply must have plenty of reserve amperage to support a high demand video graphics card such as yours.  Power supplies and printers are the two shortest- lived of PC hardware.  The capacitors used in power supplies have a finite lifetime that means the PSUs lose output power by about 10% a year, with steady use, so you should also look for a receipt, or another method of determining how long you have had it in use. 

Your video card is currently shutting itself off when the PSU warms up, at which time, its already lowered (or just plain low all its life) power drops further. 

Message 2 of 5 (1,358 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My power supply is a "Rosewill Quark-1200, Quark Series 1200W Full Modular Power Supply with LED Indicator, 80Plus Platinu..." and I am able to run World of Warcraft, StarWars the Old Republic, WildStar, and DC Universe Online on their highest settings (ususally 2560x1080 if they support ultra wide screen) with no issues at all. This was just purchased a couple weeks ago along with the rest of the new computer build.

I am trying to discover if there is some weird compatability issue with Windows 10 and I need to add a command in the launcher, or if there is a permissions thing I am missing somewhere (which I doubt since I am running as admin).

Message 3 of 5 (1,343 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Rosewill got started as a Newegg house brand, and their PSUs were subcontracted out to a wide variety of Taiwanese and mainland Chinese factories.  By virtue of the poor reputation that sort of careless production reveals, I have no confidence that a Rosewill "40,000 Watt" could regularly and dependably provide even 200 Watts, and I wouldn't have one of them in a machine of mine if I got it for free. 

There are no more than about ten to a dozen PSU brand names worthy of trust.  Rosewill isn't close to a tenth as good as the worst of that dozen. 

If you wish to make game comparisons, you named nothing but a string of MMOs, which simply do not belong in the same ranks as anything running this game engine, sorry, try again. 

Message 4 of 5 (1,339 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Wow ok troll. All I wanted was someone that may have had experience with this issue. The error is obviously software related and not related to hardware. I named the other games and the fact that I can run them at their highest settings for as long as I want to show that it was not hardware related. All of these games came out (with the exception of WoW) withing a year or two of each other and they are what I play. The reason I told you what my power supply was and when I got it was because you quickly assumed all of this was because of my power supply's age.

I have found numerous other posts about other games referring to editing the registry and changing the TdrDelay value to 8 in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers key. I was simply looking for an easier solution. Maybe even running it in "Windows XP Mode" or something, I just don't know how to add that in the Origin launcher.

I am sorry you have had such issues with Rosewill hardware. I never have.

Keep on Trolling Trollboy

I'll look for solutions elsewhere.

Message 5 of 5 (1,335 Views)