Simcity: Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not run. Please see the README for details. [2001]

by jrealdeal

Original Post

Simcity: Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not run. Please see the README for details. [2001]

★★★ Newbie

Hi I just bought SimCity waiting to play and I get this error message(Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not run. Please see the README for details. [2001]). I'm not sure how to look up the card on my computer but I didn't realize that it was on-line. Can someone help please! 

Als, where is the README?

Message 1 of 35 (15,947 Views)

Re: Simcity: Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not run. Please see the README for details. [2001]

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert
Get All the Details on the Hardware Inside Your PC

Simcity 2013 Requirements 

Operating Systems:
SimCity will run on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. 
CPU:
Intel C2D E4400, 2 GHz, or AMD X2 4000
Video Card: 
Geforce 7800 GT or Radeon HD 2600 XT with 512 MB VRAM
***NOTE: each of the above-mentioned must also have Shader 3.0 or better support, and it is essential to the game’s performance and stability that the latest possible drivers for your video card are installed at all times (see my note#). 
2 GBs RAM
Direct3D Dx9
Needed space on HDD 10 GB
Optical Drive:
DVD-ROM drive required.

Internet Connection:
Players will need an Internet connection of at least 256 kbps download and 64kbps upload or faster.

Here's that Note# :

The equivalent to those minimums they named for playable results today: Geforce GT 640 and Radeon HD 6570.

Since cards' names are practically meaningless without a score sheet, the Geforce 205, 210, 215, 305, 310, 315, 430, 510, 515, 520, 610, 615, and 620 are all below the Geforce 640.  The GT 630 is a fence-sitter, not recommended (to be fully complete, all of the Geforce 6n00s, any 7600 - downward, 8500 -downward, 9400-downward, are below minimum).  The Radeon X1550, HD 2400, HD 3450, HD 3470, HD 4350, HD 4550, and HD 5450 are all below the 6570.  The HD 6450 may be a fence sitter, however, I don't believe it is actually quite that good.  The HP card that Hewlett Packard sells as an HD "7450" is just a 6450 over again.  I suspect that the Radeon X1s that predated the HD 2600 will work (X1900, X1950, specifically).  

There are some people who are so technophobic, they can hardly use PCs for anything.  If you are among those, you should never attempt to use any PC to play games.  

Message 2 of 35 (15,813 Views)

Re: Simcity: Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not run. Please see the README for details. [2001]

★★★ Newbie

I have no idea what that all means? Can I just send you mine and you tell me if it works or not?

Message 3 of 35 (15,806 Views)

Message 4 of 35 (15,797 Views)

★★★ Guide

Well stop thinking of this

I had the same problem

Just search for SimCity Recovery in the windows search and open it , my SimCity wirks now Wink

Message 5 of 35 (15,786 Views)

Re: Simcity: Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not run.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

That "solution" is only valid when the filtering mechanism has made an error.   [Edited by EA_Mai: disrespectful comment removed]

Message 6 of 35 (15,782 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)
go to:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Simcity\SimCityData\Config
(or where ever your simcity file is located)
T:\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityData\Config

ConfigManager.txt
Open that file in notepad.

#############################################################################
# Configuration rules and options for SimCity
#
# This script both defines what the various game options
# do, and sets defaults for them based on the video
# card, sound card, CPU, and other factors.
#
# It also sets some properties determining what the
# hardware will support.
#

# Constants
#

set Off 0
set On  1

set Min    0
set Low    1
set Medium 2
set High   3
set Ultra  4

set ModernFail -1
set ProbablyFail -2
set DefinitelyFail -3

# Shader paths -- must match with Material/config.mtl
seti shaderPathMin         0 # Not well supported
seti shaderPathLow         1
seti shaderPathRecommended 2
seti shaderPathMax         3

The number for the text in bold "set DefinitelyFail -3" to 2.

SAVE THAT FILE!!!

set DefinitelyFail 2

That should get you able to launch the game.  From there it may be nearly unplayable or it may work alright.

Need more info (DXdiag) if you need more help after you get it launched.

Message 7 of 35 (15,775 Views)

Re: Simcity: Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not run.

★★★ Newbie

The README file is most likely in this location

C:\Program Files\Origin Games\SimCity\Support\readme

Message 8 of 35 (15,233 Views)

★★ Novice

doesn't work help

@WootCandy wrote:
go to:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Simcity\SimCityData\Config
(or where ever your simcity file is located)
T:\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityData\Config

ConfigManager.txt
Open that file in notepad.

# Configuration rules and options for SimCity
#
# This script both defines what the various game options
# do, and sets defaults for them based on the video
# card, sound card, CPU, and other factors.
#
# It also sets some properties determining what the
# hardware will support.
#

# Constants
#

set Off 0
set On  1

set Min    0
set Low    1
set Medium 2
set High   3
set Ultra  4

set ModernFail -1
set ProbablyFail -2
set DefinitelyFail -3

# Shader paths -- must match with Material/config.mtl
seti shaderPathMin         0 # Not well supported
seti shaderPathLow         1
seti shaderPathRecommended 2
seti shaderPathMax         3

The number for the text in bold "set DefinitelyFail -3" to 2.

SAVE THAT FILE!!!

set DefinitelyFail 2

That should get you able to launch the game.  From there it may be nearly unplayable or it may work alright.

Need more info (DXdiag) if you need more help after you get it launched.

Message 9 of 35 (14,912 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have nvidia Geforce 8500 GT( which is better than the required graphics card) but the graphics are horrible and the speed is awesome and fast. when i go to settings, my lighting is minimal and i change it to high or medium but the game speed is super slow and shaky but the graphics are okay

Message 10 of 35 (14,806 Views)