Help us improve Answer HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks
Ask. Answer. Be the Hero.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keeper
pepys1955

Lighting in Simcity - a "motion blur"-problem?

If i try to run Simcity on more than minimal lighting the game becomes extremely lagging. My graphics card is within the range of what was recommended (Nvidea Geforce 8400 GS, latest driver, of course ;-), Intel Core i 3 CPU, Windows XP, 3,24 GB RAM). In various forums people describe the same thing, e.g.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/534051/?comment=3754935

Gamers at Simtropolis connect this problem with the particular kind of "motion blur" that you see if you move the camera when "low lighting" or better is chosen. Is there any solution for that problem?

Lookout
raymondeuy

Re: Lighting in Simcity - a "motion blur"-problem?

I am currently playing with an ASUS G73JH with ATI Radeon 5870M.

The game runs at very good FPS (60+, consistent) with everything on HIGH/ULTRA, with antialiasing EXCEPT lighting (Min).

Once LIGHTING is set to anything other than Min, the FPS massively goes down!

I have seen multiple forum posts regarding this problem. It is not a question of undercapable graphics cards. Something in the "lighting" settings is killing the FPS. I am currently using AMD_Catalyst_13.2_Beta7 drivers. If I have the time, I will be experimenting with other ATI drivers to make sure it is not the culprit.

Keeper
obieheef

I have the exact same problem. Hope they will fix that soon because with min lightning it looks terrible.

Keeper
psnzhera

Lot's of people have this problem, as described in my thread. I hope they fix this soon, and they could easily, by implementing more graphic options(like the ability to turn motionblur, blur and depth of field on/off).

I will request a refund if this doesn't get addressed after they fix the servers, and I encourage people that share this problem to do the same.

Keeper
sha123hul

Im also having same problem...

Lookout
supercakefish

I agree I don't care for fancy motion blur or depth of field. I also suspect it is an actual issue with GPU utilisation as my GT 650M is only being 70% used - in such a demanding game as this that shouldn't be the case!

I think its a combination of optimisation bug and the lack of control in customisation options.

At the moment the minimum settings totally dictates performance, the rest don't impact frame rate in the slightest (well hardly anyway). Lighting might as well be the only available graphics settings as its the only one which has a big performance effect it's ridiculous that it should send my fps from 80 down to 15-20 from minimum to low. I want to play at at least medium without motion blur and depth of field :smileysad:
Keeper
dazzlerbart

I have the same problem 

I have a asus laptop with a i7 CPU and a Nividia 610m GPU

And the game runs perfect if I have lightning set to min.

If I chance it to low or normal etc. Then I got massive frame drops and extreme blur.

I hope they can fix this :smileysad:

Lookout
polarchill

I also have a Asus laptop and I am having the same problems as most people. Game runs fine until turn up lighting. It's because of that darn update which instead of server errors it's now in game stuff. FIX YOUR GAME EA AND MAXIS
Keeper
xregalx

I have the excact same issue.

I am on a ATI Radeon 6950, and I got the movement blurry issue.

It is like, when I Alt+tab out of the game, and enter it again, it is very smooth, untill the screen goes black, and then it is blurry movement again.

Tried the latest BETA driver, and that didn't have any effect.

Keeper
SGAShepp

I have the exact issue, There is already a thread on this. Regardless I hope they fix it soon!!