Re: all star for n00bs

by abc1426918355

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I really like the All Star Character. He isn't the greatest at a distance but the player is made for more brute force and support tactics. I usually start firing and keep going towards my target. The best is to surprise a group from behind with an imp bomb then start spraying. Be careful with how you spray. Don't just randomly start shooting all over the place. Keep your spread of shots in a small area. Continue to get closer to the target if you can. If a chomper sees you before you see it you better get to high ground quickly. Try to jump up on a car or some place the chomper can't burrow to. Use your shields wisely. If you turn a corner and a flower or corn is there drop a shield down to sponge up some of their shots. Fire at around the shield at the Enemy. Keep your shots in spurts so you don't over heat. I hope these tips help. 

Message 11 of 20 (320 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@FishingAddict24 wrote:

I really like the All Star Character. He isn't the greatest at a distance but the player is made for more brute force and support tactics. I usually start firing and keep going towards my target. The best is to surprise a group from behind with an imp bomb then start spraying. Be careful with how you spray. Don't just randomly start shooting all over the place. Keep your spread of shots in a small area. Continue to get closer to the target if you can. If a chomper sees you before you see it you better get to high ground quickly. Try to jump up on a car or some place the chomper can't burrow to. Use your shields wisely. If you turn a corner and a flower or corn is there drop a shield down to sponge up some of their shots. Fire at around the shield at the Enemy. Keep your shots in spurts so you don't over heat. I hope these tips help. 

my thing with playing as him, is that when you hose down a plant you have to cool your gun 2-3 times before he dies otherwise he kills you with 8-24% health

chompers are my mortal enemy as any zombie really doesn't matter if your in the air or in mid charge or even ontop of a car he will shoot out from under the ground and kill you mid rocket jump

Message 12 of 20 (310 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Which All-Star are you playing with? The Motox, Golf Star will kill any plant before overheating. Those are the two I mainly play with. Chompers do suck. There's nothing worse than sitting at the garden by yourself after a killing spree only to get chomped. It's really demoralizing and has happened to me many times. Chompers really are the most annoying characters in the game. I use them when someone is being annoying with a long range weapon. Chomping someone for me is almost the equivalent of taking someone's tags in Battlefield. The bad thing is I hardly ever survive much more than a few seconds after chomping someone.  That's the main reason I don't use them. To be fair they kind of have to be one-hit wonders because they are so vulnerable while swallowing. Their kill animations are really slow to. If you attack someone from behind it takes about 3-5 seconds to go from seeing the tongue stick then the mouth snap shut and another couple seconds to chew. 

Message 13 of 20 (304 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@FishingAddict24 wrote:

Which All-Star are you playing with? The Motox, Golf Star will kill any plant before overheating. Those are the two I mainly play with. Chompers do suck. There's nothing worse than sitting at the garden by yourself after a killing spree only to get chomped. It's really demoralizing and has happened to me many times. Chompers really are the most annoying characters in the game. I use them when someone is being annoying with a long range weapon. Chomping someone for me is almost the equivalent of taking someone's tags in Battlefield. The bad thing is I hardly ever survive much more than a few seconds after chomping someone.  That's the main reason I don't use them. To be fair they kind of have to be one-hit wonders because they are so vulnerable while swallowing. Their kill animations are really slow to. If you attack someone from behind it takes about 3-5 seconds to go from seeing the tongue stick then the mouth snap shut and another couple seconds to chew. 

I mostly use stock and rugby

my complaint with chompers is that it seems like their hitbox is way too big, like if a all star so much as revs his gun ontop of sand bags the game will count his foot moving allowing you to eat him on the sand bag

Message 14 of 20 (296 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

There is no real way to impart skill and technique with a specific class or their variant. You can just give pointers and skill tips, but most of the time the player will improve on their own and in their own way... However....

The All-Star has a unique playstyle that every other class actually imitates (By hanging back, which is All-Stars job). The All-Star, with moderation, can fire at a near constant rate. Or constant enough to be superbly annoying to anyone not aware of the all-stars position. Firing in bursts will enable you to manage recoil and with timing your bursts (say half a second of not firing), you'll be able to maintain your overheat.

So long as you score at least 1 hit on an enemy (Might take more), you will get that sweet sweet Suppression Assist. If you hit them more than once, maybe do like 20 or so damage, you're gonna get suppression assist (Sometimes 2 on one vanquish!!) and the normal assist, levying out about 70-90 XP when fully multiplied.

So long as you're supporting a fire fight that's going on (Where your buddies are laying down the hurt), tagging the enemies is really all you have to do. But there's more to All-Star than just hanging back providing the covering fire that your team needs to be able to advance up unnoticed (That's right, you're supposed to be seen and shot at). Evasion is what sets good and great All-Stars apart.

If you -KNOW-, like through intution, strange psychic sense, that awesome gut feeling you get or simply just by observing the players you're aiming at, THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE SHOT AT, lay down a Target Dummy, and start firing from another location. Once they notice your second location, you can repeat the process and move between your two spots. (Finding good places near cover is most preferable to staying in plain view as the longer you remain there, the more the enemy is gonna be forced to leave their defensive position to come track you down)

This is when it gets good, because you become less of a defensive All-Star and have to bone up to be an Offensive All-Star. When they try to get in your face, you're gonna be dishing out extremely large amounts of damage mid to point blank range. Couple this with a high SEVENTY (That's Seven - Oh people) damage tackle, a dummy shield you can put in front of you to block direct hits (Don't rely on this against peashooters who can still smack you for 10 with splash) and an Imp Punt whose short range can make short work of close range targets... you've got a build that almost ensures staying power from defensible positions.

I have seen incredible Offensive All-Stars who can surge onto a point and pull off some form of incredible miraculous one-man army thing that results in 3 vanquishes and a taken Turf Takeover point... I can't do this. I admit it. I have a Sharpshooters gift and I have to play All-Star defensively with loads of suppression fire. While the hanging back and suppressing fire tactic works well for me, you'll need to find the niche where you're good at. You might be one of those players who can be an All-Star that successfully plays Offensively in a roaming group, ensuring the group you're palling around with doesn't get taken by surprise. Or being able to tackle things off of your Scientist. :o

As for Chompers, they'll always be a problem. I suggest using your tackle to GET THE HECK OUTTA THERE >_< I have actually dropped a tackle dummy and timed an imp punt against it. It's difficult to do but if you can get the punt to activate just before the chomper jumps out of burrow to eat you, he's gonna get exploded so long as the imp hits the dummy. Sadly however... some Chompers have 175 health (Most that aren't Hot Rod, Swamp Thing and... I can't remember the other). These can soak an entire Imp Punt. Confused Play carefully!

Message 15 of 20 (291 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@abc1426918355 I agree, Chompers are my lone enemy.  I've been on the first part of Moon Base Z, seen the Chomper burrow, jetted with my Foot Solider Rocket jump (+ vertical gravity boost due to map) and still got chomped probably so far up in the air that it probably amazed the surrounding players is they where watching.  The Chomper is borderline overpowered as it is let alone not being able to escape a chomp by even a 45 degree angled rocket jump..and I had a second or two on him as well so it wasn't like I jumped right when he was under me.  At that moment I realized a few EA developers must really love the Chomper in order for him to have such abilities.

If I were you I'd stick with the Tennis Star for now with all the upgrades you can get within a reasonable amount of time.  Tennis Star is faster than the other All Stars and can shoot and run (at the same time) the fastest.  You can also prime him as he runs the fastest.  Motox is great but keep in mind with the Golf Star you have to be more precise with your aim as he's an exact shooter.  I can terrorize plants from far away with Tennis guy but damage out put is low, at least I get hits and let them know they're not alone.  Also, watch for groups of plants, then sprint tackle + imp punt them.  For one on one plant (like peashooter)...drop a dummy shield and run around it occasionally getting shots in at the same time.  Typical plant players will freak out too if you can get up close and blast them...they are not used to such a big zombie rolling up on them.  This is how I win most one on one matches...I inflict some initial shots then I drop dummy shield because it draws their attention for a brief moment, I creep around turning as I do if I need to, I'll give out a few more shots and get close to finish...repeat as necessary.  Maybe it's just me but for the All Star I find up close shooting is easier.

@FishingAddict24 I hardly use Chompers for similar reasons.  I get to the point where if I'm in a game as a zombie with more than 3 Chompers then I exit to find another game.  Even though I am pretty effective with Engineer Roadie Z...I don't feel like being an engineer all of the time which is what it takes to not go mad in a game with 3 or more Chompers. 

I've written about Chompers many times on this forum and I've pretty much stopped because I don't want to *, and lately they haven't been too bad on Xbox One, but if you get too many of them in a game it's just not fun.  The good thing is that the younger Xmas players are getting to know other characters so it's not so much Chomper city out there.

Message 16 of 20 (290 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

but wasn't he just nerfed? seem to recall tennis got a movement nerf in the last patch

Message 17 of 20 (282 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I try to stay on thread topic as much as possible but with all the Chomper talk I have a story to add.

Just this morning I was in a MIxed Mode lobby because I had a lot of Quests which required being in a lot of different types of game modes and that's a good way to get a little credit on everything but it just so happened that when we were squared off against the Plants there were at least 4 players who chose Chompers regardless of game mode.

At first I was playing my preferred All-Star, the Rugby Star, and I was doing well enough to be one of the top performers on the Zombie team but when I realized that the opposite team featured several dedicated Chomper players who were quickly decimating both me and my Zombie teammates I switched off to my favorite Engineer, the Roadie-Z as a counter measure. I can usually handle a Chomper or two with my Rugby Star but not when a quarter of the Plant team is pure Chomper and eventually you just get sick of being swallowed.

I find that the Roadie-Z is my perfect foil for a game laden with Chompers, not only because of the Sonic grenades but because of the nature of his Ear-Radicator primary weapon.

Much like the Scientist the Ear-Radicator has a very broad, but short damage spread and it can fire constantly until Overheat. It makes it perfect for Chompers eager to rush in close for a Bite or Spray attack and even if you are Gooped if you are generally facing their direction you have a good chance of vanquishing them before they can circle you for a Chomp. When combined with a Jackhammer ride a Biting Chomper can hardly even approach you without being damaged and knocked back by the Jackhammers effect.

While I still got Chomped the instances of that went down drastically as long as I kept an eye on my flanks and rear and watched out for Spikeweeds and eventually the dedicated Chomper players either switched characters or quit the lobby as Roadie-Z broke their Vanquish streaks and generally ended their complete dominance of the lobby.

I've said a bunch of times that I don't think that the Chomper is overpowered; it's just the skilled dedicated players which make them seem that way which is why it's important to be able to change up your character selection if you think you can counter, or at least reduce, the efforts of a very good player of any character on the opposite team by doing so and help out your own team.

Message 18 of 20 (279 Views)

★ Guide

realitysquared introduced me to Roadie Z. Before he did I never really liked the Roadie, but even without a damage upgrade, his extra health and speed coupled with a jackhammer or a well placed sonic grenade has landed me some very fine vanquishes. I've actually found myself going to Roadie Z to get nemesis vanquishes. I know this is about All-Stars but Roadie Z is a lot better than he seems at first glance.

Message 19 of 20 (275 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

the other day I had to win 3-4 vanquish games I happened to join a colloziem game where the entire plant team went chompers we got wrkt by 4-5 chompers teaming us the whole game we eventually all went engis to try n counter them

in my opinion chomper is over-powered, if they fail to borrow kill you they just have to spam rb until they get devour on you

n if they are too lazy to eat you just walk aimlessly until goop freeze comes off cool down

Message 20 of 20 (269 Views)