You'll never take me alive?

by Final_Zidane

Original Post

You'll never take me alive?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Admittedly I have spent probably far too many hours on the event. (Really want to cap all of the legendary characters.) But, I have noticed something strange I hadn't seen before. People have been jumping off cliffs to their death rather than be vanquished. At first I thought it was just a few people making a mistake in super speed. But, it has happened dozens of times, some of which over cliffs that are out of the way. People ran right for them and leaped off as I was dealing damage. Is being vanquished that bad? I always thought vanquish streaks end regardless of how the player respawns. It just seems like a very strange practice to me, and somewhat annoying given how many vanquishes I lost over it. Was hoping someone else had some insight on this bizarre practice. (This is on PS4, I'm not sure if this happens in other GW2 communities.)

Message 1 of 10 (784 Views)

Re: You'll never take me alive?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I see it too on PS4 but not that frequent. If they know they don't stand a chance, few prefer suicide then "respawn" rather giving up their live by being vanquished. Somehow they feel better that way. It's against natural instinct but it's just a game, they can do whatever they want.

Message 2 of 10 (767 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I did that once, I was about to die so I hopped into the lava instead without much thought lol.

It doesn't make any sense going out of your way to do it multiple times. Maybe someone was trying to never be defeated by another player for a youtube video, or a kid player?

Message 3 of 10 (757 Views)

@MellodyDoll wrote:

IMaybe someone was trying to never be defeated by another player for a youtube video

I find this scenario unlikely - who's going to show off their panic suicides in a video?  Standard smile

Message 4 of 10 (746 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I've seen it but not often on PC. It used to be a lot worse but it's been very rare in my experience for some time. It seems that they don't want to give the other player credit for vanquishing them, at least as far as I can tell.

Message 5 of 10 (723 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I just see one and record it here. I'm in zMech, killed so many plants and chompers, then I suddenly see HotRod Chomper sprint to me (probably after eat zombies). I was in low health so caution to get goop but instead he simply suicide straight into the hole without a fight. I don't even shoot him once. Looks I just force him to suicide simply by staring at him. I was laughing so hard...RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fGrcAByYCE

Message 6 of 10 (718 Views)

★★ Guide
In the last mix mode ( on moon base z) I fell into the hole once and one of my buddies did twice with his hot rod chomper. It happens. Lol.

In team vanquish I spent a good minute chasing a sunflower around the outskirts of coliseum before he decided to jump off the edge of the map. I could have been salty but just laughed.

I've been guilty of doing this move myself. Whenever I'm playing with a certain friend of mine ,we always play against each other in multiplayer and if my health is low, it's amusing as heck to deny him the kill by jumping off map or into lava.
Message 7 of 10 (681 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I didn't play too much of this event as I just wasn't feeling it this time around because of the higher time investment required for a mediocre Rainbow Star payout but I find in any SuperMix with Speed Boosting on a larger map it's actually almost crazy easy to fall into craters or off cliffs or into the lava while speeding alone it you aren't paying attention.

I've seen a few, obviously accidental, suicide deaths and a lesser amount of what appeared to be deliberate suicides. Generally speaking though over the last year and a half I've notice a handful of spoilsports who would rather jump off a cliff, respawn or just outright quit rather than give the opposing team a vanquish. I can only imagine that for these few their K/D ratio is vitally important to them and their Ego more easily accepts a bail out than an actual Vanquish by an opponent.

Message 8 of 10 (675 Views)

★ Guide

Okay... that sequence of pictures involving that Hot Rod Chomper? That CHOMPER???? HILARIOUS. He could just turn around and go behind something. HE COULD JUST BURROW AND GET OUT OF THERE. No. You politely screenshotted (Without stopping him) his FULL INTENT to go IN FRONT OF THE MECH and jump to his doom. I... Oh man!!! I can't comprehend it but it's so funny.... xD

Message 9 of 10 (635 Views)

Yeah, it's great.  I wish the player could see your pics so they would know they only had to bite you twice to win.

Message 10 of 10 (596 Views)