Re: Trials of Gnomus - Discussion thread

by realitysquared

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello. I've been playing Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 for quite some time now. I've usually been able to play through and put up with the difficulty rate, but there are seriously times where I feel the difficulty/challenges are getting terribly out of hand. Namely, this "Trials of Gnomus" part. 

I just spent the last couple hours trying to pass through the "Trial of Hot Doom" with no luck. Perhaps over 50 to 60 tries at it. The previous "Trial of Shooty-Shoot" was not much better either. I also view tips and walkthroughs, yet it does not offer much guidance. There should be no need for the difficulty to be this escalated. This game has sadly become more frustrating than fun. There's no progression in the game for me anymore due to these ongoing barriers. 

Please consider altering the difficulty, or doing away with some of these challenges altogether. Thank you.

Message 161 of 162 (414 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Amity-Owl

The Trial of Hot Doom is probably the most difficult of the Trials.

You'll need to use a character which has a controllable jump and you need to be very comfortable with that characters jumping characteristics.

For me, I used Rose with a Speed Upgrade because of her elegant and someone slow and floating leap; for other people the Imp with his double-jump and ability to hover momentarily worked. Whichever character you use be certain that you can maneuver them during their jump easily and be certain that you can see the cascading pattern on the stones.

The pattern of hot spots coming at you is different for each section but the individual patterns repeat. It's a little overwhelming at first but once you settle into working it out you'll start to see it. Your task for each section is to figure out the timing and placement of each jump across to the next safe area and for some sections like the first one you can pick a lane and just jump straight down it timing your jumps, but for others you may have to change lanes with each jump.

Watching someone else play through online bear in mind that the video you're watching is probably the result of countless failed runs before the successful one that they decided to show to the world so don't get discouraged if it looks easy in the video because by that point whomever made the video has had a ton of practice- it took me 90 minutes personally and by the end I could practically do most of the run with my eyes closed.

What you'll need to do at first is ignore the timer; the extra stress will only freak you out and make it more frustrating than it already is so ignore the time limit and concentrate only on figuring out the timing and pattern of your jumps for the first section, then the second section and so on. Until you know the safe jump timing and pattern of landings there's no reason to sweat over the timer.

Once you've made it through to each new safe area concentrate first on figuring out how to make it through the next pattern and getting better at the pattern you just figured out. Watching an online walk-through might help you figure out where to put each landing but you'll have to be the one to actually do it so take it slow- even if it means figuring out that next one safe step to the ext safe area.

If you get frustrated take a break and come back when you aren't felling stressed out about it.

Eventually you'll figure out the timing and jump pattern one step at a time and you'll get better and faster at the entire thing with the constant repetition and when you can make it to the end of the danger area then you can start worrying about that timer and working on finishing faster. 

Message 162 of 162 (405 Views)