The games you played through for countless times, but you still find fantastic!

by DarkBanishing

Original Post

Re: The games you played through for countless times, but you still find fantast

@EA_David, @ivrognard

I only played the first MP. That was years ago (God! Am I really that old?!). Perhaps I'll go shopping on GOG for MP2 and MP 3 (if they sell it). Large smile

Message 41 of 84 (389 Views)

Re: The games you played through for countless times, but you still find fantast

Community Manager

Yep, 16 years since Max Payne 1. I remember playing it on my PS2 at a terrible framerate. Fortunately standards have increased dramatically since then. 

The games aren't on GOG, but they do frequently pop up during the summer/winter sales on, uh, other online storefronts at a discounted price. They're some of the best solo shooters out there, so definitely worth checking out. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 42 of 84 (383 Views)

@DarkBanishing unfortunately GOG doesn't have yet Max Payne, yet. But there are hopes, as the last year 2K Games/Take Two Interactive (the owners and the publishers of Rockstar) added a few games from their old catalogue there. You could probably get it cheap in a sale on gamersgate or steam (i still have my old discs for the first two games, but right now the Max Payne games are available only in digital format)

Max Payne 2 is really a game that plays with your emotions. There is no good and there is no bad. You can understand the villain's motivations, Max's or Mona's. And you can't say about any of them that they are good or bad. I liked that. Max's monologues, the conversations between the characters, the TV shows playing when Max's around, every little thing creates the mood that you encounter in a Raymond Chandler novel or a detective movie with Humphrey Bogart. The noir style and the comic strip way of telling the story contributes plenty to that. You could probably pick up the game for 2-4 euro in a sale and i consider that underpriced for what the game offers. I know that the first game has a wee bit better gameplay, but it definitely doesn't have the story and the mood of the second. Most of the people seem to favor the original game. Me, i would take the second in a heartbeat, as it resonated deeply with me. 

I could a few other underrated games: Binary Domain, SpecOps: The Line or even Sleeping Dogs. All were launched in the same year and all offered underrated greatness. Poor or no marketing, uninspired launch dates, no reviews at launch are just a few factors for the first two to fail in sales. Sleeping Dogs, fortunately, exploded in sales through the word of mouth. Unfortunately, Square managed to send the studio into the ground, so there will be no second game, while Square will line-up their pockets from the sales of this litte gemFrown

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 43 of 84 (380 Views)

After some cleaning in the attick, I found my copies of Doom and Quake again. Lol, those games were/are also quite legendary. Standard smile

Also found CIV and CIV II and Shadow Warrior. I'm getting nostalgic now. Standard smile

Message 44 of 84 (365 Views)

EA DICE Team

@DarkBanishing

I've never beaten the final boss in Quake. I was like eight when playing it so I can blame it on my age, but it haunts me to this day that I haven't finished the game.. Frown

Have you ever played Hexen II? I also really enjoyed that one. Especially the cool book that came with it, full of backstory and artwork.

Message 45 of 84 (361 Views)

Strife, Hexen, Heretic, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Rise of the Triads, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D. Funny, some of those games, actually had a decent reboot (Doom, Shadow Warrior, Wolfenstein and Rise of the Triads). Others weren't that lucky: either they are still in their little dark corner, forgotten, or poorly reimagined for both old gamers and the new ones (we won't talk about that silly elephant that is in the room)

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 46 of 84 (354 Views)

@Straatford87

Never beaten the final Quake Boss? Grab DosBox, install Quake and go for it! Wink

And yes, I played Hexen II. Standard smile

@ivrognard

I played all the games on your list. Party hat

Message 47 of 84 (348 Views)

EA DICE Team

@DarkBanishing

I haven't played Quake since the 90's, would be interesting to find out how it has aged.

I actually purchased Hexen II again recently as it was only a few Euro's. I was impressed by the difficulty, as I expected to just breeze through due to it being an older game. I was wrong..

@ivrognard @EA_David @A7LAS_X1 @Retro-Pathfinder @DarkBanishing

Talking about these old games always gives me "the itch"...  I do have quite a backlog at the moment but I would like to jump into something again soon. Baldur's Gate is the first one that comes to mind..

What's the first game that comes to mind for you if you had to choose an old game right now?

Message 48 of 84 (340 Views)

@Straatford87 no, you won't escape that easily. You can't go wrong with Baldur's Gate.

Me, i feel like installing again Might and Magic VII RPG. For some reason the newer players don't seem to be aware that M&M was a two sided affair: the TBS series and the RPG series. The TBS was intended as an interludes for the RPG series and the events from both were linked.

When New World Computing went down due to 3DO bankrupcy, things changed. The IP fell in the hands of someone that choose to lose the science-fiction aspect of the series (the devils were an alien race at war with the creators of the portals that were on the various M&M worlds that we visited in the RPG series, there were downed space ships, laser weapons and so on, as the series was a high fantasy and science-fiction mix, just like its main competitor: Wizardry).

One under-rated game is the second Icewind Dale game. Don't play it for the gameplay mechanics. They are not that different of BG or even NWN (it's a hybrid that is using both AD&D rules and the 3.5 rules). Play it for the story and the mood. Most people did not pay attention to the story as they were too busy bashing what they've perceived as wrong (the mix of rules in gameplay mechanics). Me?! I've cursed Obsidian for making me the bad guy. You are a mercenary party that was called to solve a problem, a problem that was caused by the very people that hired you. The so-called villains aren't much of the villains you expect and broke my heart every time when i had to eliminate one of them. Like i said: vastly under-rated and as gray as it can be. Black Isle, now Obsidian are good at making the type of games that would challenge your own beliefs and morals. Also notorious for their initial game releases, when most of the bugs are still present, but to their credit they always patched them.

My third recommendation would be Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Former Black Isle developers with another morally grey game. I recommend the GOG version.

Message 49 of 84 (336 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Straatford87

EA_Tom schrieb:
I do have quite a backlog at the moment but I

I know how that feels. Wink

As for the question, you know you should start BG.... you know it.... don't you?... yes you know.... start it now... don't hesitate....  BG it is....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 50 of 84 (328 Views)