Spartacus NOT WORKING. Wow...

by PVZCallCody

Original Post

Re: Spartacus NOT WORKING. Wow...

★★ Pro

Sorry buddy, I tried a few times, but I can't read that gibberish.

My point is; Punish-Shroom does damage after he dies - based on his own death, not from any other mushrooms.

Message 21 of 35 (507 Views)

★★ Novice

yes i know it works like this he gets hit for lethal damage his ability activates because it triggers upon a mushrooms death even himself.

Sportacus and Jester is upon resolution of the trick/damage and there for should not be held in the same standards as punshroom simply because death has higher priority than trick resolution unless the ability requires death to happen to trigger it.

ETB/Trick/Combat>Damage>Death Related ability>Death>ETB/Trick/Combat resolution.

this is how they say it works atleast

Message 22 of 35 (504 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@Coolbond wrote:

yes i know it works like this he gets hit for lethal damage his ability activates because it triggers upon a mushrooms death even himself.

Sportacus and Jester is upon resolution of the trick/damage and there for should not be held in the same standards as punshroom simply because death has higher priority than trick resolution unless the ability requires death to happen to trigger it.

ETB/Trick/Combat>Damage>Death Related ability>Death>ETB/Trick/Combat resolution.

this is how they say it works atleast

Thanks for re-replying(sorry if I sounded rude).

I still don't see the distinction.

"ETB/Trick/Combat>Damage>Death Related ability>Death>ETB/Trick/Combat resolution." - Sorry, I don't know what that means.

"death has higher priority than trick resolution unless the ability requires death to happen to trigger it." - That may be your conclusion, but it is not written anywhere.

"this is how they say it works atleast" - Who says this? Where?

@EA_Andy has confirmed with Popcap that Spartacus' ability doesn't work after he has died. That's fine. It's logical. Yet Punish-Shroom's ability does work after he has died. That is not consistent.

If someone uses a Weed Spray or Chickening and kills all the mushrooms on the board, then 2 damage should be dealt for everything to the left of Punish-Shroom. But adding 2 more damage for Punish-Shroom himself should not happen since he is dead, and according to Popcap/EA, abilities don't trigger after death.

Message 23 of 35 (476 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Why does a Jester do its damage after it's dead?

Why does a Punish Shroom do its damage after it's dead?

Message 24 of 35 (463 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@timborino wrote:

Why does a Jester do its damage after it's dead?

Why does a Punish Shroom do its damage after it's dead?

While I'd like to see consistency, but understand it's working as intended, EA may need to tweak ingame notes to help avoid confusion/disapointment/frustration by players.

BPRD

Message 25 of 35 (454 Views)

★★ Guide

Let me offer up these foods for thoughts...

Explaining the Jester is easy.  His ability is “When hurt: Do 2 damage to the Plant Hero.”  Hurting comes before death, so that’s why he activates even when you do 5+ damage to him at the onset or retaliates twice when Pair of Pears kills him though he initially sat at 1 health.  Destroy him instead though, and no retaliation.  Imp-Throwing Gargantuar works in a similar fashion.

To address the Punish-Room situation, we must first witness Zombot Drone Engineer (aka Zed) whose ability is “Whenever a Science Zombie does damage, that Zombie gets +1(strength).”  Let’s imagine that Ice Pirate*, who belongs to the tribe Science Pirate Zombie, completes his attack and does damage, but also dies to death during the attack.  Does Zed increase Ice Pirates’ strength since Ice Pirate met the prerequisites (i.e. science zombie does damage)?  That answer is No as many who have seen the Science tribe in action can attest.

The Punish-Room has the ability “When a Mushroom is destroyed, do 2 damage to a random Zombie or Zombie Hero.”  I will now presume that Punish-Room uses the same code to trigger his ability as Zed does his.  If it were used exactly the same, then when a Mushroom died Punish-Room’s ability would not activate (i.e. Zed’s ability did not activate when Ice Pirate died, therefore Punish-Room’s ability does not activate when arbitrary Mushroom dies).  As such, I further propose that there is likely a parameter/passed variable that allows the ability to activate post-mortem.  Since this ability is applicable to all those of the tribe Mushroom and Punish-Room is a card-carrying member of said tribe, he is able to activate his own ability, a physically destructive death rattle if you will.

And so, circling back to the original topic, Sportacus does not pass the parameter “ok to use this ability at death” when killed via a trick, but instead uses his ability in the same way as Zed and the discussed-in-a-prior-post Black-Eyed Pea.

Hopefully there're only a few TL;DRs out there. Large smile

*Yes, Ice Pirates are from space, and thus sciencey.

Message 26 of 35 (436 Views)

Champion (Retired)
But here's the thing about an almost dead jester facing team up... and i think sgt strongberry hits... he can be dead and still "take damage" from the extra hits. Doing damage.

Now with bucket bonus track, zombies have two cards that change entire decks. Plants don't really have anything comparable... where's my card that stops zombies from being deadly? Where's my card that stops frenzy or pet buffs? Sportacus is mostly useless (a 1 cost card is enough to kill him workout activating his effect)... def end is very hard to get rid of the turn is played unless you're running a flower deck... and get a lucky draw. Sportacus can be killed by many minions and tricks.

Ive always fought for the side of balance. Ive even said def ends isn't op, i still believe that, but we aren't getting the same love with event cards for sure. With this week's, and def end... zombies are getting cards that shake the plant meta to the core.

I was using CC to counter def end effectively... now with bonus track, that's gone.

Ill adjust, but we're being forced into playing a very few decks that can manage the threats now, zombies are getting far more versatile and strong cards.

In my opinion. I could be wrong, and I'm not saying pants haven't gotten great cards... but the best card we've got to shake then up is brainana... a 6 cost 3/3 that takes away their brains for one turn... what do zombies get for 6? A 6/6+ that can make your spells cost plus 2 every turn.... (i know it's a 6/5, but with the shield, a 6/6 and if you can't kill it outright, it's more)

And i would gladly pay 4 cost for sportacus to match bucket bonus as a 3/5+ that does 2 damage when tricks are played, but it still would not be nearly as strong an effect as bucket has.

Tl:DR i think we all understand sportacus is working properly, it's just underwhelming. For the value zombies are getting for cost, plants aren't keeping up.
Message 27 of 35 (404 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I don't agree it's working properly.     Standard smile

Message 28 of 35 (396 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@timborino is that "i don't agree, it's working properly" or, "i don't agree that it's working properly? "

If it's the former, read through, EA had confirmed it is working as intended. Doesn't make it effective, but it does let us know that it's how they planned it.
Message 29 of 35 (394 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@AphidOfDeath wrote:

Let me offer up these foods for thoughts...

Wow, there's a lot to reply to here, I hope I can keep this simple.

Explaining the Jester is easy.  His ability is “When hurt: Do 2 damage to the Plant Hero.”  Hurting comes before death, so that’s why he activates even when you do 5+ damage to him at the onset or retaliates twice when Pair of Pears kills him though he initially sat at 1 health.  Destroy him instead though, and no retaliation.  Imp-Throwing Gargantuar works in a similar fashion.

Perfect! That's exactly how it works, and I'll get back to that.

To address the Punish-Room situation, we must first witness Zombot Drone Engineer (aka Zed) whose ability is “Whenever a Science Zombie does damage, that Zombie gets +1(strength).”  Let’s imagine that Ice Pirate*, who belongs to the tribe Science Pirate Zombie, completes his attack and does damage, but also dies to death during the attack.  Does Zed increase Ice Pirates’ strength since Ice Pirate met the prerequisites (i.e. science zombie does damage)?  That answer is No as many who have seen the Science tribe in action can attest.

This is where you are wrong. The Drone Engineer actually does power up the other Science Zombies - even though they die. The animation used to show this, but they have since thankfully shortened most of the pointless animations. Long time players will remember before the worldwide release that animations showed everything happening. Turns took forever. But at least, we could see how everything worked.

The Punish-Room has the ability “When a Mushroom is destroyed, do 2 damage to a random Zombie or Zombie Hero.”  I will now presume that Punish-Room uses the same code to trigger his ability as Zed does his.  If it were used exactly the same, then when a Mushroom died Punish-Room’s ability would not activate (i.e. Zed’s ability did not activate when Ice Pirate died, therefore Punish-Room’s ability does not activate when arbitrary Mushroom dies).  As such, I further propose that there is likely a parameter/passed variable that allows the ability to activate post-mortem.  Since this ability is applicable to all those of the tribe Mushroom and Punish-Room is a card-carrying member of said tribe, he is able to activate his own ability, a physically destructive death rattle if you will.

Close. Punish-Shroom works just like everyone else;

<He takes damage >

<He is marked for death if enough damage occured (This happens so plants like Black-Eyed-Pea and Vimpire can't come back to life) >

<He does his ability >

<Then dies >

You can actually see this happening when a Weed Spray or Chickening is played. Every mushroom in front (to the left) of Punish -Shroom triggers the two damage. He then does 2 damage for his own death and then nothing for any mushrooms after him.

And so, circling back to the original topic, Sportacus does not pass the parameter “ok to use this ability at death” when killed via a trick, but instead uses his ability in the same way as Zed and the discussed-in-a-prior-post Black-Eyed Pea.

I think my explanation shows how Sportacus does not work like any other fighter/creature. Which is fine if that's what the developers want. It's just not consistent, and I think it should be noted in game somewhere (on Spartacus' card maybe?).

Hopefully there're only a few TL;DRs out there. Large smile

*Yes, Ice Pirates are from space, and thus sciencey.

If a developer would like to correct any of that, it would be much appreciated.

Message 30 of 35 (387 Views)