Recommend a game to the person above you

by Straatford87

Original Post

Re: Recommend a game to the person above you

Community Manager

@ivrognard It was mentioned in the thread already, but it sounds like Divinity: Original Sin is right up your alley. The sequel isn't far off too. The Banner Saga also comes to mind, and it already has a sequel, with another on the way. I didn't get much time with the games but Divinity was super-fun, and The Banner Saga was beautiful.

For my genre, I love Big, Dumb Action! I love games where you'll be challenged, but if you put in the effort you'll get to see badassery in a way that other media can't provide.

Almost 8 months after launch, I play Titanfall 2 almost daily. and if I need to de-stress I have the big daddy, the original, Doom to help me chill out. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 11 of 38 (1,986 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EA_David  already played Divinity: Original Sin 1 and Banner Saga 1, but i still have to play Banner Saga 2.

If you like to have some fun: Just Cause 3. Mindless fun, really good for short burst gaming sessions. And it does have a fair share of humour. 

P.S.: you might also want to check Saints Row 3/4 and Agents of M.A.Y.H.E.M. (this one will come out in august and i might break my usual no pre-order stance, given the fun i had with the games in the series and the fact that the quality remained the same).

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 12 of 38 (1,983 Views)

EA DICE Team

@EA_Eric @EA_David @ivrognard

I LOVED Divinity: Original Sin. Especially the co-op - it was the most fun I've had with a co-op game in a long, long time. I am also really excited about the sequel that should (hopefully) be out soon.

Have personally not played Banner Saga yet. What did you like so much about it? Standard smile

@ivrognard - as for a recommendation:

I would first like to state that it was hard to come up with something, as I know that you've played quite a lot :D But if you're looking for a cool RPG, then I can definitely recommend Earthlock: Festival of Magic.

(And by word of mouth: Tyranny and Tides of Numenera - have not played myself just yet).

My favorites: RPG, Adventure and Platformer

Message 13 of 38 (1,966 Views)

I own Divinity: Original Sin on GOG, so co-op there is really hard to find. I would still wait to play Tyranny as an expansion is in work and Torment is still patching and from what i've seen inXile wants to add some more content and possibly an expansion. And there is also the coming Bard's Tale, Pillars of Eternity 2 and Wasteland 3. If Fallout 1 and 2 were inspired heavily by the original Wasteland, now Wasteland 1 and 2 are drawing heavily inspiration from Fallout 1 and 2. The circle is completeStandard smile

Banner Saga has a really good storytelling and a system of choices and consequences that works quite well. Gameplay wise, the first game was kind of a letdown (mostly the battles), but otherwise is a very solid game, especially taking in consideration the budgets they had (really, really low - between 500k and 1 million $).

I would also recommend you Shadowrun series. The first one captures pretty well the boardgame, but the storytelling from Dragonfall and Hong Kong sent me, basically, in the books of William Gibson, Walter Jon Williamson, Neil Stephenson and other masters of cyberpunks. It also made me dig for the books and read them. Found out that a friend of mine had the entire collection (he LOVES cyberpunk), so i've raided his personal library. Did not have time to get bored and i was sad when i ran out of books to read. He was missing the new series of novels, but he promised me that once he gets them will send them my way, too. Lost about two months reading them (in english, as they were never translated in my native language and to be honest with the quality of the translations that i've seen since early 2k, i would rather not see them translated). And, yes, they were hardcopies. I love the feeling of turning the page on a book and i am not a big fan of reading books in electronic format. No problems with news, blogs and such, but i prefer my books on paperStandard smile

The same company that made Shadowrun has a Battletech game in development and, needless to say, i am fairly excited. If the first Shadowrun was mostly an adaptation of the board game with basic storytelling, the sequels proved that they can also make a really good story. And all that with a fairly limited budget. As Shadowrun series are completed and bug free, i fully recommend them.

As for an adventure game, Rise of Tomb Raider was quite good. I'd still want to see one like the old ones, where you are solving puzzles and raid tombs for relics and artifacts, but the first game after reboot is quite decent.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 14 of 38 (1,963 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

There are games that I loved and some that I liked.  Under the loved category is the original ME trilogy, Witcher3, diablo, planescape torment, baldurs gate.  

Recently had a lot of time on my hands so started playing and liked the following:

Divinity original sins (Good RPG)

Shadowrun series. (Good RPG)

The fallout series

Banner saga was ok. liked the mechanics but somehow the story's not to my taste.

Tyranny was good

tales of the borderlands was good for a laugh.

Xcom2 for sci-fi turn based games.

I remembered liking Dragon Age1, didnt really like DA2, DA Inquisition was ok to kill a little time but dont have strong feeling about it.

3rd person shooters:

Was dying for a Mass Effect clone whilst waiting for MEA...  

Spec Ops the line (pretty good and dark, didnt like modern military type games though)

The Bureau:  Xcom declassified - This is a game that's in my opinion one of the closes games to the original Mass Effect trilogy, in terms of the combat and being a sci-fi 3rd person cover based shooter.  Story and character development isnt as great as ME but still interesting.

Games I didnt like:

Darksouls3:  Was really excited, rolled out my character, chose carefully which class I wanted to play and realised it didnt matter, I died 20 times trying to reach or fighting the first boss.  Finally got him relatively low and he changed to another form!  Died miserably.  Think I am too old for this game, made me feel real lousy.

Tried FPS again but still didnt like it, not my genre.  

Recently tried out Nier, but also not my genre.

Message 15 of 38 (1,956 Views)

★★★ Pro

@VladVonCastein

might i suggest something in the silent storm series? it's a little dated i suppose, but i still enjoy playing it. silent storm is a squad based tactical strategy game set in WWII with a bit of a twist to it. silent storm sentinels takes place after the previous game and plays out after the war in pre-coldwar europe. and hammer and sickle takes place later still (1949 or there abouts), and involves stopping a plot to start WWIII.

as for what i'm into?

well, a few of my favorites would be... well i was an ad&d 2.0 freak back in the day, also dragon age: origins/awakening, KOTOR 1 & 2, mass effect 1-3, kingdoms of amalur, skyrim, just about anything in the dynasty/samurai warriors series. ace combat 4 through zero (that's actually less backwards then it sounds)... haven't tried 6 yet. just to name a few. 

Message 16 of 38 (1,947 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@CasperTheLich wrote:

@VladVonCastein

might i suggest something in the silent storm series? it's a little dated i suppose, but i still enjoy playing it. silent storm is a squad based tactical strategy game set in WWII with a bit of a twist to it. silent storm sentinels takes place after the previous game and plays out after the war in pre-coldwar europe. and hammer and sickle takes place later still (1949 or there abouts), and involves stopping a plot to start WWIII.

as for what i'm into?

well, a few of my favorites would be... well i was an ad&d 2.0 freak back in the day, also dragon age: origins/awakening, KOTOR 1 & 2, mass effect 1-3, kingdoms of amalur, skyrim, just about anything in the dynasty/samurai warriors series. ace combat 4 through zero (that's actually less backwards then it sounds)... haven't tried 6 yet. just to name a few. 

So going by the OP my preferred gaming is RPGs, with romances. In saying that I don't mind a good dungeon crawling rpg either (like diablo). Im afraid bioware has ruined me for modt rpgs ever since Kotor. No romance no play. However, I also enjoy zombie surival games, single plsyer pref. Have played 7 days to die and state of decay.

I would say maybe fallout 4 for you Casper if you haven't already played it. You don't need to play the others to enjoy it (I never played 3). 

Message 17 of 38 (1,933 Views)

★★★ Pro

@Nykara360

i actually haven't tried fallout, though i can't for the life of me figure out why, as it should be right up my alley. so thanx, i  think i'll give it a try.

Message 18 of 38 (1,936 Views)

★★★ Pro

@CasperTheLich

Fallout is good, even when I dont like FPS as a genre, I played the entire series and liked it.  Also looking at silent storm now, thanks for the recommendation, I like turn based games, it's a little dated and so far not much of a storyline but good for passing time.

@Nykara360

Since you like RPGs, have you tried Divinity original sin?  It's a pretty good isometric rpg, as for romance, well.....  you play both the male and female protagonist and if memory serves me right they are a couple, but that's about it, a few witty conversations, no sex scenes or constant flirts.

Message 19 of 38 (1,925 Views)

★★★ Pro

@VladVonCastein

i still play silent storm from time to time, i have to say i like to make my captain a sniper or scout, as to me that's the most fun. and the "tank" battles are the best.

Message 20 of 38 (1,915 Views)