Ragequit (disconnect) lockout suggestion

by jcalton

Original Post

Ragequit (disconnect) lockout suggestion

★★★ Apprentice

COMPLAINT:

Approximately 75% of my wins lead to ragequits. I'm not good (or I like playing 10 different decks and having fun) and I lose a lot, it's not like I'm running some overpowered deck that makes people QQ.

It's often at least Turn 8 or 9, so they've already invested a good amount of time, but can't be bothered to:

1) Hit one in-game button, end their turn and watch the loss play out, or

2) Hit two in-game buttons and concede instantly

Just closing the app or a phone takes one button press, the same as #1.

Making that decision is making a decision to grief the opponent. (I'm aware that it's a very minor grief.)

LOCKOUT SUGGESTION:

Please add in an incremental/cumulative lockout timer for each disconnect during each 4 hour (refill) interval.

After each disconnect, the game locks you out for the duration of the timer. (You can mess with your collection, but you can't PvP.)

I suggest that it start at something simple and unobtrusive like 2 minutes. Then for each disconnect during the refill, it doubles.

Or it can increase linearly at +2 minutes, but it MUST increase with each disconnect, and it must be sufficient to discourage ragequitting.

Penalize the ragequitters, not the rest of the community that can graciously spend the extra 1.5 seconds to concede.

Improve the community and improve the game.

"INNOCENT" PLAYERS:
"But wait!" you say. "I've lost connection before, and sometimes I just have to close the app because of a phone call, doorbell, or other real-life event."

Of course, we all do. But when those interruptions happen, your ability to play the game has already been...interrupted.

When those things happen (even discos) you probably won't even notice a 2 minute lockout because by the time you get back (if you even do), the 2 minutes are up, or close enough.

TIMER:

I chose the refill timer because that's already been coded and well-tested.

Other options could be 24 hour (daily) timer or even a weekly timer.
With daily and weekly, the timer increment would have to be smaller, obviously.

I assume the most challenging aspect of this from a design standpoint is finding the sweet spot for the lockout duration.

By all means, structure it so that an "innocent" player doesn't notice it, ever. Err on the ultra-safe side if that's what it takes to make this happen.

Make it 0 seconds for the first 2-3 discos [in 4 hours] and then make it 15 minutes and increment by 15 minutes.
NOBODY should be disconnecting "innocently" more than 2-3 times in 4 hours, or 3-4 times a day.

I use innocent in air quotes because chances are good that thoughtlessness is involved if you constantly have real-life interference during your PvP matches.
Perhaps not, but your opponent certainly didn't do anything to make you disconnect.

Message 1 of 5 (495 Views)

Re: Ragequit (disconnect) lockout suggestion

★★★★★ Novice

Why do you care so much that you would spend X number of minutes writing a long complaint about something that cost you 10 seconds of the time you are already wasting playing an app on your phone?

Message 2 of 5 (469 Views)

★★ Pro

I personally find it very satisfying when someone rage quits.

I don't play to win so much as I play to make others lose.

There is a distinction.

Message 3 of 5 (456 Views)

★ Guide

Uh, yeah... we kinda like it when people rage quit.

Message 4 of 5 (448 Views)

Champion (Retired)
Id rather see something like that go to players that grief by running their timer out every turn (actually, just speed up their time like hearthstone) . There's no reason to punish rage quitters; it registers the disconnect quickly and you get a win, they get a loss. There are so many other things to fix before you go making changes that could push the player base away.

I mean i rage quit. If I'm in a position that me and my opponent know I've lost, but they wanna waste time casting tricks, i leave. You're just being a poor winner, so i won't give you the pleasure.
Message 5 of 5 (378 Views)