Re: [REQUEST] Origin Overlay More friendier to other Overlay?

by Straatford87

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[REQUEST] Origin Overlay More friendier to other Overlay?

★ Apprentice

Hey;

Its me again @Straatford87 Tongue out, asking to make Origin Overlay more friendlier to other Overlays. What I mean by that is that right now if I want to have Steam overlay I have to disable Origin overlay, Frown but I don't wanna do it .

Please Origin team make this happen, I wanna be able to show off my screenshots on my steam profile, hell even uplay works perfectly fine with steam, so I believe its on your end to fix this issue; which again helps users(including me) that have Steam Controller to be able to use it with Origin Games.

A friend of mine who was a PS3 player saw a screenshot of Battlefield 3 on my profile and fell in love with gaming on PC and bought a PC and battlefield 3. True Story.

ALSO, AMD users have to disable AMD External Events Utility Services to get Steam Overlay work on Origin Games along with disabling Origin Overlay of course.....so whats up with as well please? 

On no other overlay I have to disable that AMD thing so again its gotta be related to Origin.

Message 1 of 8 (904 Views)

Accepted Solution

EA DICE Team

@miniDarkNOVA

Hi,

I won't say that it won't ever be on the table, but at least in the foreseeable future compatibility issues with third-party overlays such as the Steam Overlay won't be looked at. There are currently still many Origin improvements and updates that we're working on that are higher priority because they impact Origin directly.

Having said that, if you're Origin in-game overlay is crashing while only playing via Origin then feel free to create a new thread on the Origin Support board so we can look at that for you.

Lastly, I tested for you by reverting to pre-beta by clearing the Origin cache. I didn't have any issues afterwards. Perhaps another uninstall and restarting your system? I wouldn't recommend throwing the system out of a windows as a troubleshooting step.. Wink

Cheers,

View in thread

Message 6 of 8 (977 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

@miniDarkNOVA

Hi again :-)

We don't expressly stop other applications from hooking into our games, so not sure why the Steam and Origin overlay won't work with each other.

Could you give me a bit more information about what happens when you try using both; what exactly are you doing? Do you get any error messages? There might be something here, so I will try to chase up more information for you where possible.

Lastly, awesome screenshot!

Message 2 of 8 (891 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hey @Straatford87

Very easy to try this issue for yourself, add any Origin games to Steam as Non-Steam Game, I assume you have accounts for both of the platforms and familiar with both of the applications. Now run that game through steam but make sure Origin is not running in background; you will not have steam overlay working, and origin overlay sometimes works (I have had issues with Battlefield 1 that Origin Overlay crashing? not working even if  I had it run it through only Origin; sorry getting distracted), but steam overlay is a no no.

Now disable Origin overlay and of course quit Origin again and then try that game through steam, and voila you have steam overlay but no Origin overlay of course. IF you have AMD card, you must disable AMD External Event Utility as well.

Note that you must have Origin not running in the background which is another issue?problem?annoying thing? I don't know so even if I get Steam overlay and Quit my Origin game I still have to quit Origin so steam would stop thinking/status change from playing that game to not playing/normal.

Please do note I never said Origin or Origin team is deliberately doing this, it must be a simple conflict between both these applications that leads to this issue.

Many people reported this issue though EA forum or Reddit and etc... 

Example from reddit: This is from Steam Controller reddit wiki page that shows how to get Origin games through steam, since in order to use Steam Controller you must run it through Steam Only.....sigh...another annoying thing with Steam and Steam controller now if only Valve had people like you guys that would actually listen and respond to the community....anyway

If you want more detail please do let me know how you want me to present it either through screenshots/video/teamviewer/origin chat or anything.

Just wanna say, TOM you are an awesome dude.....almost as awesome as Tom Hanks himself...ROFL

Message 3 of 8 (888 Views)

EA DICE Team

@miniDarkNOVA

First, I feel honored for you saying I'm almost as awesome as Tom Hanks. But seriously.. I can't take that honor! Tom Hanks is just too awesome.. Large smile

From your message I understand the following:

1. While playing an Origin game on Steam, the Origin overlay blocks the Steam overlay from working
  2. The Origin overlay sometimes crashes (on Origin, or while you're using it on Steam?)
  3. The Origin overlay doesn't work on Steam in combination with the AMD External Event Utility (does it work in Origin though?)

Please do correct me if I misunderstood any of the above issues.

As I mentioned earlier, Origin and it's overlay don't block any applications from hooking into our games. My question therefore would be if you also have these issues (with Steam) while playing through Origin?

At this point I'm not sure what we can do to make sure our games and the Origin overlay run smooth on other gaming applications, as we solely test our games on Origin. I do want to add that it is known to us that there are some conflicts with certain third-party programs.

Lastly, thanks again for reaching out to us.. :-)

Message 4 of 8 (880 Views)

★ Apprentice

OO=Origin Overlay ; SO= Steam Overlay

1. Yes;

2. Sorta; I have to investigate more on that.

3. Only if you have AMD GPU or CPU and you have installed their driver then you have to disable AMD External Event Utility along with disabling OO in order to get SO with Origin games, this is an extra step that AMD users have to take by disabling that AMD EEU service.

So it goes like this:

OO is OFF + Run Origin game through Steam = YAAY I have SO but no OO of course  :'(  ; you can even get SO on Origin application itself like the store page and games library etc... O.O

OO is ON + Run Origin game through Steam = no SO 

Using Origin Beta does NOT even start the game at all, it will only open Origin and nothing happens, you have to manually start the game through Origin application, which it should not do that since I start the game EXE file and not Origin. Tried it with Battlefield 1 and SW Battlefront. Interestly SO works but OO does not, this was not the case in non beta Origin.

I understand EA/Origin team only trying to make sure that Origin works with Origin games, makes total sense and fair enough, I am only asking if maybe they can go extra 1 step and fix this issue with Steam Overlay. If thats not a possibility then no problem.

Can you please confirm and try and test to see if you can go back to using non beta version of Origin, I am on Beta Origin and tried to come back to non beta/normal Origin and now Origin is stuck on Installation screen and in task manager its using 200mb of my disk.

Sorry if this is getting far away from the actual topic but now I am stuck on Origin installation and can not run it at all.

If its my issue then let me know I will throw away my PC out of the window......1st MoH 2010 and now this.

Sorry English is not my first language.

Message 5 of 8 (875 Views)

EA DICE Team

@miniDarkNOVA

Hi,

I won't say that it won't ever be on the table, but at least in the foreseeable future compatibility issues with third-party overlays such as the Steam Overlay won't be looked at. There are currently still many Origin improvements and updates that we're working on that are higher priority because they impact Origin directly.

Having said that, if you're Origin in-game overlay is crashing while only playing via Origin then feel free to create a new thread on the Origin Support board so we can look at that for you.

Lastly, I tested for you by reverting to pre-beta by clearing the Origin cache. I didn't have any issues afterwards. Perhaps another uninstall and restarting your system? I wouldn't recommend throwing the system out of a windows as a troubleshooting step.. Wink

Cheers,

Message 6 of 8 (978 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Straatford87

Thank you for your honesty.

I did sorta fixed the non beta revert by moving my games folder to another and try to run Origin.

For Origin Overlay crashing I will find out more and will get back to you.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 8 (856 Views)

EA DICE Team

@miniDarkNOVA

Glad that I could answer your questions.

If you've got more, or you need further help.. let me know!

Cheers,

Message 8 of 8 (846 Views)