Re: Potted Powerhouse Buff

by GargantuarFeast

Original Post

Potted Powerhouse Buff

★ Guide

A rework on its ability -

Instead of gaining one attack and one defense,

It should be gaining two attack and no defense instead.

Then, we can use it for OTK with grass knuckles. 

Message 1 of 8 (608 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It seems that this suggested buff is a counter to the power of teleport/valkyrie, right? I don't think changing another unrelated card is the right solution though.  

First, let's consider the thought of buffing cards, should it be done? I don't think so.  In any card game there will be some good cards and some bad cards.  It doesn't matter how much you buff the worst cards, the only thing that changes is that the worst cards are no longer the worst and now the second worst cards are now the new worst cards.  Buffing just doesn't work in the long term.  If nothing else it results in what's known as "power creep" where every card just gets more and more powerful until the game doesn't even resemble it's original form. 

When there is a problematic card or combo of cards in a game there are typically three ways that they are dealt with, depending on the game.

1.  Ban one or more of the overpowered cards (Magic does this)

2.  Nerf the problematic card(s) (Hearthstone does this)

3.  Print counters to this combo in a future set (L5R used to do this, a long time ago)

Note that none of these commonly used solutions involves buffing cards.  

Now, let's consider the buff you suggested for a moment.  Is Potted Powerhouse a weak card as it currently stands? I don't think so, I use it in at least one of my decks to very good effect.  Next, would this proposed buff counter Port/Valk? No, it just gives plants a OTK like zombies have.  One of the largest problems here is that Powerhouse and Bonus attacks are both in the same Plant Class (Mega-Grow).  This gives 4 heroes access to the OTK.  Port/Valk are two different classes and therefore only one hero has access to both.  I think your suggested buff would only serve to deform the metagame much worse than Port/Valk currently does.  

Message 2 of 8 (591 Views)

★★ Guide

tbh. I think oneof the best ways to nerf-buff valkprof would be a buff on Brainana or making a simliar denying card in the future. As it is right now brainana doesnt make the cut because its simply more expensive than the combo.

Message 3 of 8 (579 Views)

★ Guide

Not really, I think OTK is pretty cool and I want a plant version of it.

Message 4 of 8 (570 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Fast games and "OTK" are generally preferred by those that have trouble making dependable decks.

Valkyrie should definitely be nerfed.

Message 5 of 8 (561 Views)

★ Guide

@wonoz wrote:

tbh. I think oneof the best ways to nerf-buff valkprof would be a buff on Brainana or making a simliar denying card in the future. As it is right now brainana doesnt make the cut because its simply more expensive than the combo.

While I don't think Brainana should be buffed specifically in relation to this topic, I definitely think it should get a buff of some sort. 6 sun for a 3/3 amphibious that's only good if the zombie has an expensive trick in store isn't good enough.

Message 6 of 8 (545 Views)

★ Guide

If you want to nerf valkprof, all that is needed is an attack cap on teleport. Also, it would nerf the tricksters too. A free bonus attack is good enough for tricksters, teleport just makes it even worse.

Message 7 of 8 (542 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

And an attack cap on teleport will not destroy valkprof as professor brainstorm can play it dry and then use lurch for lunch to destroy the plant blocking it.

Message 8 of 8 (541 Views)