Origin Suggestions & Requests

by 119_iLL

Original Post

Origin Suggestions & Requests

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello, I appreciate the work EA is doing to make Origin something every PC should have.  However, here are some things I think Origin needs in order to meet the demands of the consumer world.

1. Origin Application
    The Origin application itself is missing many key features that restrict user experience such as...
    * = Very Important

a) *Changelog / Release Notes.  (I would like to know what changed in the Origin updates)
    b) *Turning off Cloud Syncing should always save, and apply the change at its earliest convenience. Instead this error i have encountered numerous times "Were unable to change your setting. The server may temporarily be offline. Try again later"
    c) *
    Some system settings should work locally however it fails to update the settings and says "Were unable to change your setting. The server may temporarily be offline. Try again later"  (eg. Share Hardware Data, Share System Interaction Data) There is no reason this cant be updated locally.
    d)
    Games you do not have installed should be grayed, less saturated or opaque. Hovering them can bring them to 100% opacity.  I like to see my full list of games, but I also prefer to easily see which ones have been installed.
    3)
    *Installation progress should be more detailed. (What's currently installing, which step it's on and a progress %.)

2. Game > View Game Details
    The game details screen should be full of just that, details.   Here are some things it is missing.
    * = Very Important

a) *Installation Size
    b) *Game Description
    c) Game Media (Trailer, Screenshots)
    d) *Link to the game forums / support.
    e) Game News
    f) Changelog / Release Notes

3. Game Playing
    Here are a couple game options that I feel are essential. 
    * = Very Important

a) *Launch game in Windowed Mode
    b) *Ability to play games offline without logging into Origin.  It seems I am able to change my status to offline mode only after I login but if I do not have an internet connection I am not sure how to play the games offline.  (unless I am missing something)  Every time i launch a game, it opens the Origin login screen.

Hope this helps create a better product.  If the community has more input to add, please do not hesitate to reply!
Regards

Message 1 of 5 (991 Views)

Re: Origin Suggestions & Requests

★★★★★ Novice

What i would really like to see is more a store related thing and that is bundles for older games like steam has.

For example there is the Mass Effect trilogy game collection which is a step in the right direction including all 3 of the games. However the DLC content for them is not included. And the pricing for that is ridiculous especially for games that old. There should be at least bundles with the entire DLC content or even better bundles with the games and DLC content alltogether with reasonable pricing.

To be fair i'm not asking for this kind of treatment for the latest games but older games could still shine with the help of this type of practice.

Now this is not an original idea by any means since I've already seen this on steam and i was shocked to see there is nothing like it on origin.

I've chosen the Mass Effect trilogy as an example because it's probably the best example for this. I personally own all the content as being a fan i got it when it came out, but i have lots of friends that would want to get it but consider its not worth it because of the DLC fiasco in pricing.

This would also be a win for EA since it would make these games more accessible to a lot of people and increase the player base especcialy now that Andromeda is around the corner.

The Andromeda announcement is exactly what sparked most of the people in revisiting the old ones. I've seen tons of discussions regarding the DLC cost for this series on gaming forums not to mention lots of REDDIT threads about it and everyone is equally pissed about this.

I apologize if this is not the proper thread to open this discussion but being entitled Suggestions and Requests so here i am.

P.S. It would be nice to have an option in the origin app where people can offer these suggestions instead of searching the forums looking for threads on this.

Message 2 of 5 (897 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Good suggestions!  Another thing they should do is add suggestions to games because there are many older EA games such as Black & White that I would love to play but aren't accessible.

Message 3 of 5 (834 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I moved this thread to Origin Gaming forum. I hope other users also will share feedback and suggestions! Standard smile

Message 4 of 5 (819 Views)

@RepleySnipes  Sadly, B&W series, The Movies game+expansion, Dune series, Middle-Earth series, James Bond series and Harry Potter series are highly unlikely to make a comeback. Those IP's did not belonged to EA and the publishing deal expired or the licensing deal expired and the IP is in someone else's hands.

B&W and The Movies belonged to the now defunct Lionhead. Probably MS sits on them passionately and ignore the fact that they could sell them to the PC crowd, but again, MS never cared about the PC gamers. 

Dune license expired and Herbert estate is not willing to allow anyone to make or sell a Dune videogame.

James Bond is now at Activision, so EA can't sell its old games.

Middle-Earth IP is now at Warner and Warner has the license for everything linked to that, exception being the book publishing. Again, EA can't sell the games, despite Battle for Middle Earth games being some of the best RTS ever made.

Harry Potter IP is also at Warner, with only the book publishing not being in their hands. As some might remember, EA's Harry Potter games contributed a lot in the franchise recognition. Sadly, J.K. Rowling estate decided to not renew the licensing deal with EA, despite the fact that EA made some really nice games in the Harry Potter universe. And instead of having some more mature games, we are stucked with Warner's Lego Harry Potter...Now, really, where is the business sense in that decision?! Just like into handing to Warner the Middle Earth license to make some rather mediocre games or not allowing to sell ort make new games in the Dune universe. And let's be honest: Westwood/EA Dune games used quite well the universe and the games were always fun to play, not even adding the fact that Emperor: Battle for Dune had quite a few of innovations, some still being unused in the RTS genre.

Add to that the sports games rely on yearly license deals, which seen a dramatic increase in costs and you are barred from a LOT of EA's old library. Which is a shame, as we are speaking about games that made gaming history. 

I wish that the IP/license owners to recognize the potential of the sales of the old games and allow EA to at least sell those goldies. But, i really doubt that it will happen.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 5 (788 Views)