Make the Chomper Great Again

by IIINCORRUPTIBLE

Original Post

Re: Make the Chomper Great Again

★★★ Guide

@pandareno1999 wrote:

People always want what they don't have, even more so if they can't have it.  It's just human nature.

This is true. But, in this case I think there is more to it than that. For starters the Unicorn Chomper is being waved in peoples faces, either by an empty pot or by the various promotion announcements that are now very out of date. (Is it that hard to take them down, or is that too much work?)

Second, it was listed as a "loyalty" reward. So for those of us who purchased GW1, played hundreds of hours, or even reach 313 outside the promotion, it is a slap in the face. As if to say, Sorry, if you didn't do exactly as we asked you are not loyal. Could have easily called it a bonus, but they chose "loyalty".

My other issue is how it belittles people who earned rank 313 out of desire to reach 313. EA listed the promotion and advertised it for a year, putting bait on the hook to get players who otherwise wouldn't care about 313 to reach it. How many stories are there of people begrudgingly reaching 313 and saying how much they hated it. That isn't how you reward people. In fact, it is that frustration that is often cited as the reason the Unicorn Chomper cannot be offered any other way. (It would make a mockery of the work people put in to get it.) Not that everyone even put in the work, I wonder just how many Unicorn Chompers were bought on Ebay. (The process took minutes, they could process 30+ in a day.) Regardless how they got it, players can't even show it off, unless they play Unicorn Chomper all the time. As one person put it, they only play as it until they get bored. But, with 5455 levels to earn and each variant capping at 50, it is no wonder people aren't playing as it. (It will be months before I cap everything and get to a point I can play as variants I like.)

I say again, (from another thread) it should have been a hat like Gnomish Perspective. Legendary ranked, maybe a fun GW1 animation/sound effect, and usable by all variants and classes. That way people could show off their accomplishment every match they play. More importantly, it wouldn't be a playable variant. I can assure everyone here that if it were a cosmetic I wouldn't be upset. Heck, I played the Unicorn Chomper, mastered it, and found it boring. But, I now have an empty diamond lined pot mocking me every time I go into the stat room. For me personally I'm sure the frustration over the Unicorn Chomper will eventually fade. But, I will pray to Crazy Dave that they do not do a promotion for 5455 in GW3. (At least not a variant)

Message 11 of 22 (699 Views)

★ Guide

Gosh gee golly, some folks act like we are going to see protests in the street if the Unicorn Chomper has a secondary way to unlock it through Garden Warfare 2. I say this respectfully, but this is just a video game folks. There is a very small group of people, mostly just on this website, that seem to suggest a secondary way of unlocking the Unicorn is a personal insult to them and that it is the end of the world because they "worked so hard" to get it. I think making it available by getting max level in GW2 is perfectly fine. There is a small group of people that will get irritated by this, but it's just a game and they will get over themselves.

Message 12 of 22 (693 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I also agree with Zidane; the Unicorn Chomper is completely over rated, regardless of the fact that I would mop folks with it. It really just comes down to game completion for some folks... I personally bought the original Garden Warfare (at launch for $30 dollars) on the Xbox 360 over Titanfall, and platinumed the game until the new achievements came out, and I got to about rank 100 then sold my 360... Then I got GW1 on PS4 as downloadable, then later as a hard copy, then platinumed the game (again), so I have it nearly platinumed on 2 consoles and over a rank 100 on the PS4... Never really cared about getting max rank before the release of GW2, but I ended up unlocking every single character in this second game and would like to get the Unicorn. The issue with the character is that it was likely a sales pitch for Garden Warfare 2 players to go back and purchase GW1, and it worked. But if GW3 comes out, wouldn't it be a better sales pitch to simply make the Unicorn Chomper somehow still unlockable so people could have the opportunity to get every character ever known? After all, people have that "collect them all" mentality, and what on earth are we to do if we can't?

Message 13 of 22 (694 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

My daughter play GW1 & 2. I start only on GW2 so never had a chance to own Unicorn. I love Chompers, and master all of them.

But I don't use Unicorn zip ability, I simply use burrow and master it in heart beat via Mistery Portal event.

I'm happy that my path to max rank is open. I don't really care to own it, since for me, it's just another Chomper.

Message 14 of 22 (679 Views)

[ Edited ]

I really wish I was good enough at the game and/or patient enough to grind on super mix events for hours on end to master characters I don't have.  I think I got UC and a couple party characters I don't have to beginner 7 or so.

Message 15 of 22 (672 Views)

★★★ Guide

@pandareno1999 wrote:

I really wish I was good enough at the game and/or patient enough to grind on super mix events for hours on end to master characters I don't have.  I think I got UC and a couple party characters I don't have to beginner 7 or so.

This is an interesting point. Usually when someone gets upset about the chomper people point them to Super Mix Mode. But this still requires that the chomper is part of the mix (which has happened twice now in nearly a year?) It also requires that the player play for awhile to max out the character. I managed to do it last time because I focused exclusively on the Unicorn Chomper and always switched teams to be on the plants side. More importantly the super speed made vanquishes more frequent and by extension, made experience more frequent. It still took several hours of playing on as the Unicorn Chomper. So, while it is possible via Super Mixed Mode it still is nowhere close to ideal. (Especially for players with limited time to play, the same crowd that couldn't jump through EA's hoops in the first place.)

Message 16 of 22 (662 Views)

Well, from what I see the vast majority of complaints about not being able to get UC now come from people who were late to the party vs. people who had the opportunity to get UC before the transfer window ended.

Message 17 of 22 (658 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Pandareeno

Alot of the complaining is coming from the people that already have the character and don't want others to have it, for whatever reason... The reality of the situation is that the Unicorn Chomper was (partly) about loyalty but also about a marketing ploy, which is fine... The USA is a capitalist country and it's absolutely fine to market whatever you want to sell, but now that the second Garden Warfare is near the end of its cycle and a part 3 (or follow up game) may be likely, they should really just have another route to get that character. It's not a big deal. So they should do that, as well as port Plants vs Zombies 2 and Heroes over to the consoles and sell them like they did with the first tower defense game.

So speaking of "loyalty", I've personally platinumed all 3 of the Plants vs Zombies games, meaning the original tower defense game for Xbox 360, and the two Garden Warfare titles. In fact, I have GW1 platinumed on PS4, and like 2 achievements away from being platinumed on 360, so that's actually why I never got max rank because I was playing it on multiple consoles before GW2 came out. More reasons why they should make the Unicorn have a second way of being unlocked. Here are the achievements:

http://thelegendarygaming.wixsite.com/legendarygaming/aandt

I also took the #1 Rank/PS4 World Record for multiplayer vanquishes at launch...

Message 18 of 22 (635 Views)

★ Guide

this is so true, just like a lot of other things in this game are trying to keep you coming back (if anyone knows what is called post it underneath.) also how about some new chompers. that might please the roaring crowds. (might is a theory)

(don't spray)

Message 19 of 22 (597 Views)

★ Guide

@NerdBunker_Sam

Again... Making the Unicorn available through a secondary means will irritate like 10 people, and for like 2 weeks... The only reason I didn't get max rank on GW1 is because I had it on Xbox 360, basically platinumed it until the second set of achievements came out, had to sell my 360, then platinumed it again on the PS4... I was over 100 rank on each console, broke the world record for multiplayer vanquishes (at launch) with the #1 rank on PS4, and why would people want to spend so much time going back and playing the first game after the second came out when the second is so much better. It's not about loyalty because I played the game alot more than most people that have the character...

ALSO: I had the #1 rank until fraudsters took over the leaderboard. I just video taped a test run with my friend and players can actually rise up on the multiplayer vanquish leaderboard by killing live players (that are their friends) in the backyard or a private 1 on 1, and that's probably what several of the top people on the current plant/PS4 leaderboards did. That's just a heads up to the developers that frauds, once again, have taken over a leaderboard. When I took the world record I did it all through legit online public matches... I think I got like 5 or 6 kills in the backyard just goofing off with friends, but I never wanted to spar with people in my yard because I thought it was boring. Its a shame to see fraudsters take over leaderboards.

I know this because Rapkorist and other top 10 players I have seen online CONSTANTLY and the individual named babymario something with like 297 (supposed kills) I have not seen once, and I play all the time on different regions. And when I say not once, I literally mean not a single time. Devs should ban these fakes because I video taped the process with a friend that people can boost this way.

Message 20 of 22 (583 Views)