Is there any game you miss playing?

by mathematics654

Original Post

Re: Is there any game you miss playing?

[ Edited ]

@EA_Archi, I stopped after Kamigawa. I didn't like that set either. Wink
If it were possible I would challenge you now. Party hat I also have +1000 hours spent on MTG. Large smile

@Straatford87

I started again two years ago and was amazed of all the things that changed. Newer rules (better), a lot of new abilities (awesome), thousands of new combo's to try out (even more awesome), even total new game formats like commander (was a little skeptikal first, but after trying it out a couple of times, it became my favourite format).

Message 41 of 79 (444 Views)

EA DICE Team

@DarkBanishing @EA_Archi

The last time I played was probably around 2011. I do miss the social experience of face-to-face card games like MTG though. I would love to get into it again soon. And with so many changes, it will probably feel like a whole new game!

Since I consider myself a noob now, any tips on where to start? ;-)

Message 42 of 79 (431 Views)

Yes, @Straatford87

Reading the comprehensive rules (2017) is a must. You'll get to know the new features there. A refresh of basic rules (there's a link in the pdf) can't do harm to. Also, a fat pack of the latest set would be useful too in order to get to know the new cards. If you want to know them right away, the MTG gatherer could come in handy.

Good luck at starting again and welcome back to the MTG family! Large smile

Message 43 of 79 (426 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@DarkBanishing

Thanks a lot! I will try to pick up a starter set / pack next weekend to give it a go.

You've also gotten me really curious about the Commander game type. While I read the updated rules, I would love to hear why you're enjoying that so much.. :-)

In the meantime, that smell when opening a new pack of cards Heart

Message 44 of 79 (418 Views)

@Straatford87, you also like the smell? Large smile

Commander is all about stamina. You may pick 99 cards and one commander (needs to be a legendary creature). Only basic land cards are allowed to be in your deck multiple times (other cards only once). This is what makes the game so interesting: never will you play the same game twice with one commander deck. You really should try it.

Message 45 of 79 (411 Views)

EA DICE Team

@DarkBanishing

That sounds to my liking!

I just got my wife to agree to pick up a set with me next weekend so we can play. I will ask the guy in the shop for some tips on where to start for both of us.

In the meantime, I started playing Magic Duels since it's free to play. Keeps me busy in the meantime! You ever played any of the PC games (outside the 90's one)?

Message 46 of 79 (403 Views)

@Straatford87

No, I'm an old school MTG player. Wink

Playing MTG on PC doesn't feel right for me.

Message 47 of 79 (397 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

I am with you here 100 % @DarkBanishing @Straatford87 MTG should be played face to face. Oh, I miss the excitement so much. Must start to play again. BTW,@DarkBanishing what are your thoughts on the latest set? Amonkhet-or-something is the name. 

Archi.png
Message 48 of 79 (383 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EA_Archi

There are some new good cards and the new "exert" ability rocks in controll decks with lots of "untap target permanent or creature". Large smile

There are also some new "Legendary creature" cards which means new possible commander picks.

Hapatra looks great for my black green commander deck. Standard smile

Message 49 of 79 (376 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@DarkBanishing 

Sounds like fun! Will definitely play again in a week or so. It is a real joy, to see MTG thrives despite all the recent digital TCG boom, with Heartstone and Gwent.

Cheers,

Archi 

Archi.png
Message 50 of 79 (365 Views)