Is it true that Bioware is cancelling Mass Effect?

by Gaven_Nex

Original Post

Re: Is it true that Bioware is cancelling Mass Effect?

★ Pro

@Fred_vdp wrote:

They make a lot of money with multiplayer purchases. If that helps finance the single player campaign, I'm all for it.

If...

I'm sure they made enough from their game sales to pay back the investment and then some. Of course they don't mind making more money off it but in the end there is nothing SP coming out anymore, so I don't see how your scenario makes any sense. They effectively closed the door on that and MP is the only part that still gets attention as they indicated.

So all this is going to pay for is the EAware profit margin, nothing more. Mind you, that's fair enough if people are willing to pay for that, but let's not have any illusions about it financing the SP side.

Message 21 of 25 (997 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@EgoMania wrote:

@Fred_vdp wrote:

They make a lot of money with multiplayer purchases. If that helps finance the single player campaign, I'm all for it.

If...

I'm sure they made enough from their game sales to pay back the investment and then some. Of course they don't mind making more money off it but in the end there is nothing SP coming out anymore, so I don't see how your scenario makes any sense.

I meant in general: future games, and not necessarily just Mass Effect. It's easier to justify spending money on developing a single player campaign if they can predict a steady income stream from multiplayer microtransactions, especially if there's some connection between the SP and MP component.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 22 of 25 (981 Views)

★ Pro

@Fred_vdp wrote:

I meant in general: future games, and not necessarily just Mass Effect. It's easier to justify spending money on developing a single player campaign if they can predict a steady income stream from multiplayer microtransactions, especially if there's some connection between the SP and MP component.

Ahh more in general you mean. Well maybe. At the same time we see the new flagship named Anthem shaping up and at this point it'll be interesting to see what sort of micro-transactions will take place there. It's also one of the things that may make me decide not to get involved.

I play SWTOR and I do like the game in spite of its issues. The one thing that has soured me is the micro-transaction system with the so-called cartel packs. These are also highly RNG and overpriced. Just think that one hypercrate that contains 20+ of such cartel packs costs 50-70 dollars/euros and if you want a specific platinum item, you may have to buy 4-5 of those. And new cartel packs come out pretty much monthly...

It gets very expensive. People might say it's all cosmetic stuff but at the same time it probably provides more than 90% of all the cosmetic gear in game. That's a rather unfair balance. You just either fork over a lot of cash or you grind dailies to afford buying these items from the GTN. I'm not opposed to a bit of grind but it's just more satisfying to me to get the reward in game rather than having to collect credits to buy it off another player.

But if I look at how much SP content is made and how few MP maps there are in ME:A for example, I just have to wonder where the balance lies. How much does MP make and does it really come down to MP supporting SP. Also I don't think EA/BW have a situation where they save money up from their previous game and can use it to invest into the next game. EA probably just looks at how successful the franchise has been, looks at the plans for the new game and decides a budget from a more macro point of view. MP is part of the success of the previous games but I do not necessarily believe there's a direct connection between MP paying for the next SP side of a game. I think if SP was not able to turn a profit by itself, they wouldn't put so much resources into it. 

Still, I can't say I know what's going on behind the scenes.

Message 23 of 25 (930 Views)

★★★ Novice

Don't worry Sass the bean counters at EA will dump Anthem as well if any of it is released in Beta format like Andromeda riddled with bugs not fit for purpose. Even now after numerous patches Andromeda has bug issues.  You can only hope your Anthem grand hunt which will no doubt be as boring as old rope after 1 play through meets the greed level EA seeks in profits otherwise to the trash can it will go.

Message 24 of 25 (918 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It will probably survive until EA day, might even make it until Christmas.  I havent played it for months, a friend of mine still plays on PS4 but the group he was a part of have collapsed.  His friends list on PS network is maxed and most of the time only 2 of them still play MEA.  I'm honestly surprised that people think there is a chance of a sequel, EA have reduced it to a toxic brand. 

Message 25 of 25 (806 Views)