Is it true that Bioware is cancelling Mass Effect?

by Gaven_Nex

Original Post

Is it true that Bioware is cancelling Mass Effect?

[ Edited ]
★★ Newbie

http://epicstream.com/news/Bioware-Puts-An-End-To-Mass-Effect-Franchise

Please only Bioware and EA representatives answers. I want a reliable source.

I want to know if there's any truth to this!

Moved cause yeah, not Anthem related...MCSS

Message 1 of 25 (2,801 Views)

Re: Is it true that Bioware is cancelling Mass Effect?

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I understand you want Bioware and EA answers, but this is a forum. Discussion is inedible even from non-entities like myself. As for answers.

but you already have it. 

https://www.masseffect.com/news/mass-effect-andromeda-update-from-the-studio

There is no future game support planned. BUT there is still story through other media. Do not lose hope. There is a big difference between not planning development and abandonment. They will warp up the story and it will be mothballed. Yet, the intellectual property still exists, so it could be rebooted, restarted, remastered, or even just plan sold. 

I doubt a Bioware or EA person is going to answer any other way then direct you to the prepared response or confirmation with humble regards and understanding. 

Lastly, you may want to move this post to the Mass effect forum. This is the Anthem Game. 

Hope that helps

Sass

Message 2 of 25 (2,763 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

EA is responsible for killing my favorite franchise.

Message 3 of 25 (2,702 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

The wording states no further patches for single player or in game story content. It does not state no DLC will be made or that the franchise has been "killed".

Its simply EA/Bioware saying the SP content it shipped with is done. It also states MP will continue to be supported, and have content added.

Anything else is people reading in to it and making stuff up because they do not read properly.

Message 4 of 25 (2,662 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, the patching is done.

Yes, multiplayer content will continue for a time (I'd guess 3-6 months).

No, there won't be any DLC content (this has been officially confirmed), whether by design or as a result of sales levels.

The Mass Effect franchise is likely to return at 'some point' but how and when remains to be seen, it will probably be some years.

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 25 (2,651 Views)

★★★ Guide

I think EA, being the impatient idiots as they are, got impatient, told them to rush it out the door, hence the bugs, glitches, unfinished feelings of the game in general and then EA wonders why the game failed to meet expectations.......idiots.

What i would do is give the Studio what we want, the funding for it and tell them to get it done and ask for an update every 2 years until its done....how hard is that? i mean seriously?

I may have my own impatience problems, but even i know, the longer you work on a project, majority of the time, the better the product is when it is completed and these guys are meant to be better at this than i am.......i guess anyone can be a game publisher?

Message 6 of 25 (2,609 Views)

Hero

@JamieK81 wrote:

I think EA, being the impatient idiots as they are, got impatient, told them to rush it out the door, hence the bugs, glitches, unfinished feelings of the game in general and then EA wonders why the game failed to meet expectations.......idiots.

EA was willing to delay the game by five months. I wonder who ultimately decided against it.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 25 (2,595 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I think EA wasn't expecting it's Original Mass Effect player base to hate on MEA as hard as they did, along with how unpolished they made MEA compared to the original trilogy by making it the game more open world. While yes this could be a terrible move by the corporation we still have hope that the hype and love of the Mass effect Movie could revitalize the Mass Effect Project.

Message 8 of 25 (2,413 Views)

Hero

@mico10052 wrote:

While yes this could be a terrible move by the corporation we still have hope that the hype and love of the Mass effect Movie could revitalize the Mass Effect Project.

The movie has been in development hell for years and I think they were expecting Mass Effect Andromeda to be such a success that the movie's production would get back on track. The Mass Effect series is not currently in the best position, so it seems to risky to finance a big budget movie now.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 9 of 25 (2,403 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I dont think EA are in that good a position, let alone the Mass Effect Franchise.  Star Wars Battlefront series definitely makes money, but people dont like the pay to win aspect of it, and thats a competitive market.  Anthem is delayed and that might be down to them wanting to get it right, or feeling that the stink about MEA is going to hit sales.  There seems to be a magic 93%, in that if a game goes out of favour it loses 93% of its players.  I think MEA has hit that, or is close to it.  Those are the players that look for good games and have the money to invest in them.  Destiny 2, with the preorder and season pass is around $200 and people are queuing up for it.  I personally dont like it, having checked out some youtube on it, but a lot of people do and one of the main sites that rubbished MEA's facial animations is fawning over it.  Chances of a MEA movie are low, game to movie adaptations are historically bad performers at the box office. 

Message 10 of 25 (2,346 Views)