How to online split screen

by Nailsdog

Original Post

How to online split screen

★★★ Newbie

Please could somebody explain how I can split screen online with my son at home. We can do the regular split screen, but how do we both go online with splitscreen.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 23 (13,160 Views)

Re: How to online split screen

I just loaded up split screen, and it looks pretty simple.  On the ops and multiplayer menus, the online options are now available.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it out later with my daughter.

Message 2 of 23 (13,132 Views)

★ Novice

i'm confused, i'm not seeing anything but local play options still. does both players have to have an active ps plus account?

Message 3 of 23 (13,100 Views)

[ Edited ]

@tim_lex_tim wrote:

i'm confused, i'm not seeing anything but local play options still. does both players have to have an active ps plus account?

I'm not sure, it worked fine for me.  We only have one PS plus account or whatever the heck it's called, so that's probably not your issue.

One issue we ran into is that if you are hosting, one player cannot exit the game or exit split screen without destroying the game session.  Likewise, I assume that it you're not hosting, both players will exit the game if one leaves.

Message 4 of 23 (13,095 Views)

★★ Novice

I can't figure out how to get to online multiplayer split screen.  Where is it?  TIA.

Message 5 of 23 (13,081 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's the same as it ever was, but now the online options are available for ops and multiplayer.

Message 6 of 23 (13,079 Views)

★ Guide

It's possible to play 2 players with only one PS Plus account? Or the two players have to get a Ps Plus account?

(sorry for my english....)

Message 7 of 23 (13,065 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie
Yeah this isn't working for me either, maybe someone can help.

I log in as usual, ready to play some PvZ.
I go to the monitor thing in my backyard to activate split screen.
I log in the other player as the guest to my account which has Xbox live.
I go to play a multiplayer game with my friend while we are in split screen and the option is grayed out.
So we tried going into the multiplayer portal in the middle of the garden and, this is where it gets tricky to describe in text. So let's say the top screen 1 is the main account and bottom screen 2 is the guest.

When 1 enters the portal first, it tells me that it "could not verify that you have the credentials to play online" or something similar to that. Even though I do have Xbox live gold.

When 2 enters the portal first, they are able to enter and float around in space while waiting for the party leader to join. When 1 walks in while 2 is waiting for the game, 1 gets the same message as above, and both 1 and 2 get kicked out of the portal.

The only thing I can think of is, do both players have to have Xbox live gold?? I don't want to buy a month of gold just to try this out and have it fail. I can play rocket league with a guest online just fine.

Am I doing this wrong? Is there a separate way to this besides the one I described?

Online multiplayer split screen (we are wanting to play Turf Takeover in a public online game) IS currently active right??

Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to get a good answer since we were really excited for this update!

Thank you very much in advance.
Message 8 of 23 (12,979 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't know this, but I suspect that both players need to have EA accounts in order to play online split screen, that it cannot be done logging in as "guest."  I'm certain that multiple PS plus or xbox live accounts are not needed.

Message 9 of 23 (12,962 Views)

★ Novice
We figured it out, you can't use local accounts. Each of the players needs to create one of the free playstation accounts, no need for a PS plus subscription. Then it will ask to also set up an ea account when you first log into pvz. You can't initiate the game from the free account though unless you trick it a bit. The fist player with the ps plus account needs to initially start the game.
Message 10 of 23 (12,926 Views)