Game with pirates?

by k9seals

Original Post

Game with pirates?

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Listened to Hans Zimmers' Organ of Davy Jones this morning and couldn't help but notice the lack of major pirate games lately.

This thread is for you to give ideas or suggestions, and to see if there is any interest at all, in having a video game in which you board ships, fight a variety of crews and if things go right, get the loot. And rum and wenches and a parrot.

What would your ideal pirate game be like?

Single player? Multi player? Both?

Game engine preference?

Studio(s)?

Historic or Fictional setting? Sea beasts? Voodoo magic?

Multiple servers? DLC?

Soundtrack?

Ship customization, crew selection, etc etc.

On all these questions, I seek your advice to see a great game made someday. Escape from Monkey Island and Sid Meier's Pirates are still great, just that we're in the 21st century and nothing that good has been released since then. I think.

Message 1 of 28 (1,440 Views)

Re: Game with pirates?

Community Manager

@k9seals

I saw Hans Zimmer live last year and it was Epic, so +XP for that.

Single player? Multi player? Both? - Both

Game engine preference? - Frostbite

Historic or Fictional setting?- Fictional

Sea beasts? - Definitely, imagine fighting off Sea Serpents and The Kraken!

Voodoo magic? - Meh

Location: a few islands or the whole Atlantic? - A fictional world and be able to circumnavigate the globe

Multiple servers? DLC? - Yep

Soundtrack? - Y

Ship customization, crew selection, etc etc. - Y

Rum, wenches and parrots - Arrr, sure what kind of Pirate game would she be without?

barry.png
Message 2 of 28 (1,424 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Pirate game? Count me in! 

Single player? Multi player? Both? Single player only. This will help developers to concentrate on the story.

Game engine preference? Frostbite of course! 

Studio(s)? DICE!

Historic or Fictional setting? Fictional! Space perhaps? 

Sea beasts? Voodoo magic? Both. Voodoo in space? This does sounds new.

Soundtrack? Hans Zimmer! Who else? 

Ship customization, crew selection, etc etc. More customization, ship and crew please. Your own Pirate fortress/town also would be great!

Archi.png
Message 3 of 28 (1,416 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Since BF and ME are in space then maybe the sea would be a little change. Going fictional offers more diverse quests so I guess it would be like an action RPG. What genre would be appropriate?

Another thing I was wondering about is what challenges and opportunities you could come up with as you roam the seas.

My list:

Environment: Whirlpools, current, coral/reefs, wind and weather obviously. Ship maintenance.

Other ships: city state/kingdom/imperial ships going after you, pvp if multiplayer.

beasties: sea lions, white sharks, giant squids, megalodons, giant octopus, pterosaurs and kraken. Sea dinosaurs might provide some inspiration.

People: crew management, mutineers, cannibals, ladies angry at you for some reason, rum/general supplies,  foreign troops/trade outposts, other leaders, pirates competing for treasure.

Please share your ideas to see what we can come up with.

Message 4 of 28 (1,399 Views)

Community Manager

@k9seals@EA_Archi

I love how even in a fictional world of Pirates the reason a woman is angry is unknown, lol.

barry.png
Message 5 of 28 (1,389 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@k9seals

We are getting closer and closer to a final build Standard smile

Environment: Tropical and Arctic. 

Other ships: Other pirates clans and huge global corporations. 

beasties: Sirens and mermaids. Kraken (of course!) Undead and ghosts. Primitive tribes and HUGE apes! 

People: I would love to see implementation of managing your own Pirate colony (kudo to Uncharted 4) and trading with other ports/states.

Archi.png
Message 6 of 28 (1,381 Views)

★ Apprentice

I like these ideas. Competing huge global corps inspired by the East India Co. Undead and ghosts =YES!  Undead and ghosts in the arctic = YES!!!

I can see how huge apes could be used to protect some kind of treasure, native or not.

The management part would be a way to secure/trade resources/crew members and build/repair a ship.

-Now about the beginning: how would it start?

I could see some guy drifting on a plank of wood who reaches a beach without memory of what happened, but that's kind of what Morrowind did.

-Would you see particular classes in this game?

By specialty like gunner/swordsman/archer/thief.

Maybe some other classes could be less combat oriented like drunkard/heart breaker/trader/biologist/alchemist

-Ship/hand weaponry?

Ship: cannons, flamethrowers, catapults, a motivational officer who throws your crew onto the other ship.

hand: gun, rifle, all kinds of swords. Magic swords? Hammers!

Message 7 of 28 (1,372 Views)

Hi all

Why don't we put in some "oppression of the weak" factors? The big greedy East India Corp. sets out to capture some slaves and gold in the new world. In it's wake, it leaves a trail of ransacked villages. You (the protagonist who was found by your tribe after a ship wreck) are the adopted son of a tribe's chieftain that is killed in a raid on your village. Left for dead, you set out on a journey of revenge. You shall not rest before the East India Corp. is put on it's knees and your tribe mates are freed. On these journeys you come to know who your real parents were (this is where the plot can take a nasty turn). There sure must be a choice between good and evil, lawful and chaotic and these choices must determine the end of the game.

Message 8 of 28 (1,315 Views)

★ Apprentice

Sounds like a mass effect player to me! Your starting point takes the David VS Goliath approach, which offers plenty of room for character/level progression. I'm all for it. The choices you mention should however have direct consequences for where the rest of the game is headed otherwise there's no point. Would you see the possibility of forming a party? Several NPCs (single) or other players (multiplayer) joining your quest would be great, without mentioning the possibility of an on-line economy. While the single player version would allow more focus on the depth of the campaign, the multiplayer version would offer a higher level of re-playability.

Message 9 of 28 (1,229 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

i happen to love sailing/pirate games, though there are so few that are actually good, the only one i can think of lately is sid pirates, though that was a tad too cartoony for my taste.

for me, it has to have solid single-player (don't care about multiplayer but have nothing against it in theory), with open sandbox gameplay either as part of the campaign/s or a separate mode, a solid campaign mode with multiple modes/campaigns including a customized campaign mode (when you basically select objectives and customize the worldstate). a character creator like in TES or Fallout with a male and female protagonist option, accurate depictions of a wide variety of vessels with a high degree of customization, and a wide range of personal weapons, clothing & armor, and finally a world where you can walk around in, even if it's just in port & specific locations, as well as walking around the deck of the ship we're commanding/boarding.

i could actually really go for a good pirate game now... sigh. 

---edit

heavy RPG elements, and character backgrounds that effect the game starting conditions are welcome IMHO.

---edit again

and magic, voodoo, and whatnot all ok in my book, well as long as it can be done without making it look cartoony... seabeasts not so sure bout that, maybe as DLC or a gameplay option that is toggle-able? or on second thought forget i even mentioned DLC

Message 10 of 28 (1,210 Views)