Does Evolution and other powers mitigate the need for Environments?

by JedTheRealFish

Original Post

Does Evolution and other powers mitigate the need for Environments?

★ Guide

I was playing the decks with up to eight environments, but now that seems unnecessary. 

Message 1 of 12 (875 Views)

Re: Does Evolution and other powers mitigate the need for Environments?

Champion (Retired)

I don't think any deck should ever have more than 4 environments. Some decks are even best played with 0-1 environments, however I don't see why the new effects would mitigate them. If at all, they would make them stronger.

Environments that do damage like Spikeweed Sector and Hot Lava are even more necessary for dealing with Untrickable Plants and Zombies, which are immune to trick removal.

Environments that have an effect when something is played on them, like Medulla Nebula and Mushroom Grotto, are able to be triggered again by using the Evolution effect (There is even at least one strategy deck based around this synergy)

As for Dino Roar, Planet of the Grapes really synergises well.

Message 2 of 12 (865 Views)

★★ Pro
Damn straight it does. Beta Carottena or Citron with Tricarrottops added in with the admiral/mirrornut/sportacus and planet of the grapes adds up fast

Also, what good is your evolution fossilhead if you cant give him another 2/2 and frenzy in area 22? Unless you aren't playing beastly, then going viral works too

And speaking to the statement that no deck should have more than four environments...on whose authority is that?

I have plenty of decks with six or more, and my huge gigantus neutron imp deck had more than four by a long shot.
Some decks need them and lots thrive with none at all, but I always like at least a couple especially as a zombie, to counter
Message 3 of 12 (853 Views)

★ Guide

I think that for most decks outside of very fast decks, it's a good idea to pack some environments. They give you board advantage and can kill things that are untrickable. In some scenarios they make the difference between wins and losses. Definitely would recommend 3-4 environments per deck

Message 4 of 12 (846 Views)

★★ Pro
in a few decks of mine the environment are crucial to the deck. Impfinity, a lot of the time I run four of each superrare. One gives me overshoot 3 and the other is deadly/strike through, and Doctor Spacetime usually don't have a free lane to work in, and these help.
As on the plant side with a few decks having a set only, it's not like four enviro cards are going to throw your flow off in your deck, and it might save a game or three
Message 5 of 12 (827 Views)

★★★ Guide

@jakeman102201 wrote:

I think that for most decks outside of very fast decks, it's a good idea to pack some environments. They give you board advantage and can kill things that are untrickable. In some scenarios they make the difference between wins and losses. Definitely would recommend 3-4 environments per deck

I'd agree, especially for Zombie players.  With some of the plant environments, Zombies need to be able to cancel them quick, or it's game-over.

Message 6 of 12 (757 Views)

★ Guide

I don’t like environments that much because it’s always very luck dependent unless you hav more than 4 of them which I play just in one deck. I think you are dependent to play tthem even if I would like to play without them in some decks but then I have lost if a sting environment is played. 

Message 7 of 12 (734 Views)

★★ Pro
I carry minimum of four in all decks, and some decks as many as a dozen...and I have seen plenty of games that were won and lost all of one environment played and the other side had no counter to play

From the flytraplanet or the spikeweeds, even blackhole with a armwrestler that got frenzy that controlled the game
Message 8 of 12 (724 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I only dropped in to say that I despise environments. I basically only run them to drop on my opponents environments. There’s far too many times where drawing a guy or trick would put me back in a game and I’ve drawn an environment. They are my least favorite addition to the game. Frown

Message 9 of 12 (683 Views)

★★ Pro
And I imagine plenty of times that drawing an environment would help you or save your game
Message 10 of 12 (675 Views)