Re: Copyright claim issues with Star Wars Battlefront

by EA_Joker

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Copyright claim issues with Star Wars Battlefront

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie
A few days ago, I did a stream of Star Wars Battlefront. One of EA's help pages gives explicit permission to monetize YouTube let's plays of their games. So just so I wouldn't get any copyright claims, I edit the stream's description with not only the excerpt saying I have permission to monetize the video, but with a link to the page itself. I didn't think there would be any problems.

And yet shortly after the stream's footage uploads to YouTube in video form, I get 12 copyright claims due to the game's music. I recently tried disputing all 12 claims, citing the page as my evidence that I was in the right, to no avail. The claims are still there.

What should I do in this situation? The help page very clearly states that I'm able to monetize the game footage, and yet it doesn't seem like that's enough.
Message 1 of 7 (6,142 Views)

Accepted Solution

EA Staff

@RakkuTheEpic6 While we in general have no issues with 'Let's Play' videos/streams featuring our games, please do keep in mind the music/scores used in the games may have different copy rights. In this case Star Wars Battlefront uses a lot of the original scores from the movies. 

I would recommend disputing claims with YouTube, but if you wish to make sure please follow the steps in this article to request and clarify permissions for game footage and scores.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (7,308 Views)

All Replies

EA Staff

@RakkuTheEpic6 While we in general have no issues with 'Let's Play' videos/streams featuring our games, please do keep in mind the music/scores used in the games may have different copy rights. In this case Star Wars Battlefront uses a lot of the original scores from the movies. 

I would recommend disputing claims with YouTube, but if you wish to make sure please follow the steps in this article to request and clarify permissions for game footage and scores.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Message 2 of 7 (7,309 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Ah. In that case, I may just end up removing the music altogether in future streams.
Message 3 of 7 (6,074 Views)

EA Staff

@RakkuTheEpic6 That will probably work Standard smile

Let us know if you have any questions in the future!

Message 4 of 7 (6,069 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

But lots of bigger channel use the in-game music they have no copyright disputes. I just started and I already have one.

Message 5 of 7 (5,858 Views)

EA Community Manager

That indeed might happen to everyone - I would recommend checking out the link in the solution post.

Star Wars is also a special case here regarding the copyright and very strict. The music used within the Star Wars Battlefront game is protected under Copyright. If you stream a live game or post a video on YouTube or other social media with the music playing in the background, you may receive a copyright notice to remove the online content.

Therefore I would recommend just turning the music off before you start recording / streaming.

Message 6 of 7 (5,826 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I never thought of doing that! Thanks!
Message 7 of 7 (4,853 Views)