latest Andromeda news

by VladVonCastein

Original Post

Re: latest Andromeda news

Champion (Retired)

My take on this is that those that say there will be no DLC are forgetting how cheap these are to make. You have all the base figures, weapons and so on. So you only need a storyline a few new characters and worlds. That is basically that. 

So what if you can only sell a million copies at a tenner each that's still a lot of money if development cost is only 2-3 mill. Every accountant in the world would say that is a no brainer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 21 of 83 (748 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@jpkarlsen wrote:

My take on this is that those that say there will be no DLC are forgetting how cheap these are to make. You have all the base figures, weapons and so on. So you only need a storyline a few new characters and worlds. That is basically that. 

So what if you can only sell a million copies at a tenner each that's still a lot of money if development cost is only 2-3 mill. Every accountant in the world would say that is a no brainer.

Yeah, and the source of the rumor is "three guys that are supposedly in the know". Kotaku is just stirring the water is being little better than tabloids at this point.

Message 22 of 83 (738 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@jpkarlsen wrote:

And because many of us are aware of this from the start, speculations about ME:A being abondend started in the first place...
Because it is no big deal to release non-story DLCs and much of the production costs for story DLCs are already in the main game. So what you point out is exactly the reason why we all are suspicious.

There is no reason to be silent about ME:A unless there is a decision to be made for whatever reason. And that decision includes downgrading support, delay in favour of some other project or even abandoning it at all. Hopefully that decision is still pending and will result in full support to strengthen the IP for the future!

But fact is there is no commitment from Bioware or EA for much too long time.

Interpreting this as a good omen is loss of reality.

Hope is the driving force to say otherwise ...

Message 23 of 83 (730 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Phoenixflieger wrote:

@jpkarlsen wrote:

And because many of us are aware of this from the start, speculations about ME:A being abondend started in the first place...
Because it is no big deal to release non-story DLCs and much of the production costs for story DLCs are already in the main game. So what you point out is exactly the reason why we all are suspicious.

There is no reason to be silent about ME:A unless there is a decision to be made for whatever reason. And that decision includes downgrading support, delay in favour of some other project or even abandoning it at all. Hopefully that decision is still pending and will result in full support to strengthen the IP for the future!

But fact is there is no commitment from Bioware or EA for much too long time.

Interpreting this as a good omen is loss of reality.

Hope is the driving force to say otherwise ...

Well, someone over on the unofficial BSN bioware board noted that they probably can't say anything due to SEC and other financial regulations. IOW, it could cost EA/Bioware a crapton of money if someone "slightly official" blabs about this blockbuster DLC that's going to make tons of money.

Message 24 of 83 (725 Views)

★★★ Pro

Looking at how quickly EA/Bioware came out and slammed the fake company for the facebook article hoax, I am just wondering if Kotaku's article is incorrect and kotaku's article is way more widely circulated than that hoax, why is EA/Bioware management not saying anything?  

Message 25 of 83 (693 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@VladVonCastein wrote:

Looking at how quickly EA/Bioware came out and slammed the fake company for the facebook article hoax, I am just wondering if Kotaku's article is incorrect and kotaku's article is way more widely circulated than that hoax, why is EA/Bioware management not saying anything?  

Because he's hiding behind the fig-leaf known as 'reporting'. He isn't saying that he knows the DLC isn't coming out, he's saying that "three guys" told him that and it "fits what he believes".

Totally CYA.

Message 26 of 83 (690 Views)

Hero

@VladVonCastein wrote:

They said on Twitter that there are certain things a public company can't disclose.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 27 of 83 (668 Views)

★ Pro

@VladVonCastein wrote:

Yeah, they probably didn't even want to react to this but this was such a blatant hoax that they had no choice. And even then, they just  put a couple of comments on twitter. Nothing here on the forums or the main website.

EAWare just have a tendency to stay silent for months until they are ready. It's typical really for big companies. Their customer focus tends to lie around their production process. Of course they make mistakes there but when it comes to the more regular interactions with customers (call it aftersales or customer service), they have no customer focus at all. They just see it as a cost centre instead of an investment in long term relations.

It just seems to me that they haven't quite understood that they can create much stronger relations with their customers as well as increase the customer base because of word-of-mouth advertisement. It's worth to invest in that but they don't. Only when they're more or less forced to.

Nobody will be surprised when people say that the products you sell by themselves are no longer enough and you need good customer support to distinguish yourself as a company. Now BioWare has  had the luxury position of having a bit of a monopoly in what they do. There is no direct competition for Mass Effect or Dragon Age for example because any other Sci-Fi or Fantasy RPG doesn't have what they do with story, companions, romance, etc. They made one MMO and it's the only Star Wars MMO on the market which still has those trade mark elements that BW does.

I  mean as much as I hate what they've done to SWTOR in recent years, I don't have an alternative for it.

So, what does this all mean? It means that BioWare can get away with a lot because they do not have to fear people running away to the competition as much and it means that they mostly can choose when to communicate and focus on their needs rather than the customer needs. Because in the end...angry or not, we'll come back to them when the next game or dlc comes out. Of course some will break away and stay away but a lot of people will still end up giving it another go. There still is an appeal in what they offer and nobody else offers this.

I like their games myself but where last year I was increasing spending on BioWare my response to all this has been to stop spending and now find ways of enjoying the BioWare games while spending the bare minimum amount of money on them. I stopped being a fan and became a customer. And this customer will only invest the bare minimum because from my point of view that's what they are investing in their customer relations. So it makes it a more balanced relation.

Message 28 of 83 (655 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

You just totally ignored the information that Bioware and EA _CAN'T_ talk about certain things because they are a publically traded company and it can affect their stock. In your mind, it's because they are uncaring and don't want to, not that they can not.

Message 29 of 83 (634 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@arthurh3535 wrote:

You just totally ignored the information that Bioware and EA _CAN'T_ talk about certain things because they are a publically traded company and it can affect their stock. In your mind, it's because they are uncaring and don't want to, not that they can not.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

But ok, if there really are things they cannot divulge, which is definitely possible, that doesn't mean that they should just not talk at all about anything. They're really just not very involved in their own community as far as I'm concerned.

Message 30 of 83 (626 Views)