best laptop for mass effect andromeda

by megean23

Original Post

Re: best laptop for mass effect andromeda

★ Guide

@Vellu78 wrote:

@megean23 wrote:

so looking at new laptops and they are expensive so would you guys recommend getting a desktop or either a ps4/xbox one

PS4 (Pro) is the easy way (for this game anyway), as it is what it is and can run the game for sure.

Gaming desktop will be considerably cheaper than a gaming laptop (similarly performing).

True and true.

A PS4 Pro (don't go for the standard version anymore) is about 300 - 400€/$ - or whatever equivalent in your currency (I guess).

A desktop PC is surely about 600 - 700 €/$ for a decent playexperience. And a laptop ... I have no clue. whenever I look at one that I find decent I end up 2000€/$ +

--------------------------- From a similiar post a view weeks ago about a budget gaming PC:

Tough nut to crack ...

• CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor - $174.99
  • Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard - $84.99
  • Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory - $102.88
  • Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive - $69.99
  • Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card - $204.99
  • Case: Thermaltake - Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case - $33.95
  • Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $29.99
  • Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit - $89.89

That is $800.00 altogether for self-assembly, without screen, keyboard, mouse etc. You may need additional parts, tools maybe.
I selected the parts via online pc builder pages that compare prices available, so please understand this just as a guideline. 

You can upgrade CPU (Ryzen 1800X), memory (+16Gb), GPU (Vega, 1080ti), storage in the future easily once you are willing to invest extra money.

Theoretical saving up to $200 with a end price of $600 by evaluating the following:

1. If you have an OS you can save this money of course (saves $90).
  2. You could reduce memory to 8Gb if you really have to (for saving $50).
  3. Maybe cheaper B350 mainboard, but maybe with lesser potential to OC or upgrade (saving $30).
  4. I wouldn't recommend any smaller CPU. Also an SSD is more expensive with less capacity. The selected SSHD (or hybrid) is fast. But you could use a common HDD (saves $20).
  5. Graphic card ... well, this is the crucial part. A 6 or 8gb card is not required. Not for Andromeda or other games currently. 1080p is fine. There are some cheaper alternatives like MSI or Sapphire RX 470 4Gb or a MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4Gb (saves $60).
Message 11 of 16 (771 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Be careful.  PS4 Pro has some serious build quality issues.  you can google specifics but http://www.mweb.co.za/games/view/tabid/4210/Article/27482/PS4-Pro-known-issues-and-how-to-fix-them.a...

Message 12 of 16 (754 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I think console gaming is fine if you don't know much about PC hardware and don't mind low framerates too much. If you want a custom PC you will need to invest some time in learning to understand what the components all do. I personally like http://www.logicalincrements.com.

If you go for a PC, a desktop is much cheaper than a laptop.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 13 of 16 (736 Views)

Champion (Retired)

If you are going to build a pc then research everything.  Ryzen processors are new and have issues with Windows 10.  I'd avoid Windows 10 completely unless you get Enterprise LTSB which doesnt have all the rubbish you get with Windows 10 Home etc.  Or you can buy Windows 7 Pro online for about $5.  Work out what GPU you want, check what CPU is going to work best with it.  Then pick a motherboard, that determines what memory you need, and bear in my mind you will want an onboard SSD slot.  Get a good case and PSU and reliable drives, if you end up upgrading later those are the things you will keep Standard smile

Message 14 of 16 (730 Views)

I would reccomend also getting a top of the line power supply(PSU), don't skimp at all, splurge one it, and get one about 50-75% stronger than what you think you need.....it will pay you back in the long run, when you don't have strange issues due to low power, your system doesn't smoke itself due to a low quality one dying in a spectacular way, and you will not have to upgrade for a long while.  People often just buy the cheapest they can that meets their minimum needs and then wonder why they have the above issues, when just putting a few more dollars into a quality one, saves them a whole bunch of trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 16 (716 Views)

Community Manager

I/we appreciate the replies here, good advice.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 16 of 16 (706 Views)