What is with all of the hate? Also, any upcoming DLC?

by SayWhatTrishaa

Original Post

Re: What is with all of the hate? Also, any upcoming DLC?

★★★ Pro

@Vellu78 wrote:

True, those things are missing and also cannot be (reasonably) patched in.

Perhaps in the sequels when we are hopefully given more character backstories and in general "get to know" everyone a little better.

One can only hope my friend...  my fear for this series is brain drain... am afraid that Bioware lost some good talents and the current crew cant bring up the standard of the game to surpass previous heights.  Seen this happen in way too many companies.  

Message 11 of 45 (714 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

In honesty I think they might have been able to avoid a lot of hate (but not all, it is after all the web) if they would have sold the game as a Mass Effect spin off and not as I think most of us understood it, a sequel, as a spin off people would not have had any reasonable basis for complaints about the differences between ME as we know it and ME:A, as this would be a game of its own but rooted in the Mass Effect universe Wink

Also, like I wrote somewhere else, this is the Ryder story and not the Shepard story and it actually still leaves room for an ME4, so don't think of that ship as sailed Standard smile

Message 12 of 45 (700 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I think many things intended for trilogy, should stay so, and also, some things that go to trilogy, sometimes are intended to stand solo.

Imho, ME trilogy should be put to rest. Although something like a sequel or prequel could add to it, it also could be a complete disaster and I'm one that doesn't trust anymore in Bioware for such feat. It's like overcooking something that's already delicious or trying to add spice. You can simply make a mess of simple things.

Message 13 of 45 (688 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

There is no such thing as too die hard of a Mass Effect fan. Take all reviews with a grain of salt. Negativity draws more attention than a good review and gets more reactions. 

Message 14 of 45 (679 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I don't think it's really "hate" per sey,  but mostly criticism. People expected the "aspect" of ME:A to be at least as good as previous ME games, or maybe a little more.

ME:A is a really cool game, has plenty of story and content to play through, open world which is fabulous, side missions, really cool puzzles (i Love puzzles). All of these give length to the game, which is most welcomed. I think everyone likes a game playthrough to last longer than 3-4 days Standard smile

The problem with ME:A, is that it had/ has some bugs/ tech/ performance issues, but Mostly is about the looks, mood, appearance, choices, options and emotion. The worlds are excellent, really nice landscape, scenery, fauna, flora etc, BUT that's not all it takes to satisfy player game experience..... especially with a ME game.

Being "spoiled" and captivated by previous ME games, with its looks, dialogue animation/acting and body language, expression, camera angles (dolly, tracking, crane, zooms), fabulous voice acting, etc, it was like being part of a movie, immersive.

But when it comes to ME:A, there is a noticeable lack in all that. Even cloth simulation looks odd (Jaal, Cardinal)...lol Plus, many people expected ME:A to have more customisation options. It's 2017, fans expect at least the same experience for ME:A as it was in previous ME games.

And yes, i also am craving for the next ME:A already Standard smile

Message 15 of 45 (658 Views)

★★★ Pro

i think the issue isn't that it's bad... as it isn't. it's actually ok. however, for several reasons i've already said to completion twice, elsewhere. ok, just isn't good enough in this case.

Message 16 of 45 (641 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I personally like ME:A. Yes, it has its flaws and things to improve, but as a game I like it.

I feel that these days games try to be bigger and better than the previous one of the series and it has gotten to the point where game developers find it hard to keep up with the expectations. As ME:A is the fourth game, it had the most to prove and while I think visually it beat trilogy easily, it got many bugs and problems which brought the negative attention. Storywise obviously you shouldn't compare ME3 and ME:A. Other is the third part of a huge continuing story with much to thank previous parts, while ME:A starts a new story.

Also, they had a new team with Mass Effect and new engine Frostbite to learn as well, so I understand it was a large task to do for them. I just hope that they have built a solid foundation for ME:A2 and can concentrate more on the story instead of the visuals and resources this time. But I fear they try to do even bigger and better game, in which case it could very well fail badly. They can't get unlimited budget and time, but then if they don't aim for bigger and better, does the next game gain enough attention to sell well? ...one of the problems of AAA games I quess Frown

Message 17 of 45 (627 Views)

★ Pro

There has been a lot of hate on the interwebs but I do tend to take that with a big grain of salt.

Some of the criticism, when constructive, was valid though. BW have already fixed some of the issues in the patch and I am looking forward to the other things the said they'd be doing like improving animations and more options in the character creator to mention a couple.

However, overall I am on my third playthrough and I am enjoying it.

The game does have a certain dryness to it that makes it a bit harder to get into the atmosphere and I think there lie the biggest issues in comparing Andromeda to the Shepard Chapters. The original trilogy excelled in atmosphere and pulling you into it. It was engaging and it was, well, epic.

I think that on my first playthrough I rated the game 7/10.

But then I played it again.

And now again.

So here's the weird thing. Somehow, I don't feel as connected to the game as with the previous installments...but I do keep playing it every day pretty much.

Personally I think that when the next patch improves some more things I will up my rating to a full 8/10.

I can't sell myself playing a game constantly and stay with a 7/10, but the single player experience is full and I do like the concept of the remnant behind it and making those planets viable for settlement. I guess where ME1-3 were about epic foes that were near impossible to fight in a political environment that refused to support you, you could feel the urgency of the fight.

Andromeda doesn't have that urgency for me, because it's more about exploring and building...but I actually do enjoy that, just in a different way. So yeah, I suspect I will end up rating this game 8/10. I just hope we will be able to track multiple quests in the future and I'm not sure what I think of the point that they said that this game is the full Ryder story and that a sequel will then get a new protagonist. It's something that made DA:I especially less interesting to me and made me less attached to the franchise as a whole.

Time will tell on that but I do think that this game is better than a lot of people give it credit for, but it is very different from the previous games. It's both clearly Mass Effect but also not Mass Effect as we knew it.

Message 18 of 45 (611 Views)

★★★ Novice

Egomania... pretty much spot on and articulated exactly what is in my mind. I think comparing it to ME trilogy is setting it up for failure. Which I think everyone has a right to do since the title has ME on it, but I think BW is trying to lay the ground work and have a decent foundation for further installments for the Andromeda chapter. (or at least that's what I hope)  My favorite part of ME:A is they included a lot of sarcastic/humor dialogue options and IMO, through the exploration and having a light hearted tone makes ME:A really refreshing.  

I haven't played MP all that much, so I can't give the game an overall rating, but for single player I think i'd be the same level as you with a close 7-8/10. 

It truly makes me happy that someone else shares the same view that I have, so thank you for sharing your thoughts. 

it's sad that people aren't giving ME:A enough credit. I just hope that Bioware doesn't give up with the series due to all the negativity. 

Message 19 of 45 (590 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Neeki81 wrote:

They can't get unlimited budget and time, but then if they don't aim for bigger and better, does the next game gain enough attention to sell well? ...one of the problems of AAA games I quess Frown

That's an excellent point!

And that's exactly what everyone expects: next game "Better/ More". There were 3 ME before which gotten better and better, the 4th was kinda of a partial fall-back. ME:A "More?" yes we got more content so it's there,  "Better" ??? Well....  it could've had some more attention on that Standard smile   That's why all the "storms" were crushing the forums all over, and i don't think its hate but rather disappointment. 

But yes indeed, is the product good enough to pull customers for the next piece? Well ME succeeded on that, and ME:A got it's fair sales just because of the quality previous ME games. Overall, I will still buy the next Andromeda Standard smile ...already can't wait

Message 20 of 45 (571 Views)