What is with all of the hate? Also, any upcoming DLC?

by SayWhatTrishaa

Original Post

What is with all of the hate? Also, any upcoming DLC?

★★★ Novice

The past month I've been avoiding all reviews and YouTube videos of ME:A to ensure I wouldn't be subjected to any spoilers. Since I'm in my second play through, my curiously got the better of me and I decided to see what "mainstream" youtubers and blogs had to say about the game. All I see is negativity on how it wasn't the best game. I'll admit, I think ME:A could have some improvements to dialogue, remnant puzzles could be less tedious, and maybe some better likeable characters (only characters I really love is Peebee, Lexi, Drack, and sometimes Jaal) but I really love ME:A. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I guess what I'm looking for is insight to see if I'm the only one who truly loves the game and accepts all of its faults? Maybe I'm too diehard of a Mass Effect fan, but I digress. 

In addition to that question, is there any word on a single player DLC? Maybe I'm too eager but I'm hoping for one soon! 

All opinions are valued and I appreciate any insight. 

Message 1 of 45 (945 Views)

Re: What is with all of the hate? Also, any upcoming DLC?

★★★★ Pro

Around here? Peruse some threads, you'll find out that you are not the only one with that approach. Refining details, it’s really strange asking: am I the only one this or that? You'll ever find someone that will share your view, but uniqueness comes from details, and then, you'll most likely be the only one at something specific once in a while.

On the Net, there's 'Hate' and there's Criticism. Many people usually claim they are mega fans of this, fans of that. Being very attached and fan of something can work both ways: will make you love everything about it, or it’ll make you want very hard something to be as good as you expected to, tough love, raising children, similar concepts. I think we shouldn't admonish anything these days, even ‘hate’, if it has a common source. If many critics, even those we classify as 'hate', state similar things, it might be a point to look upon, there are patterns embedded in the writing, and they shouldn’t be ignored as mainstream either.

Language and education, of course, will always appeal more when you are criticizing something, and there are some people who are civil, but education alone means they have more rights or that they have points that have more value than the ones who rage? They all could be stating the same thing in the end. Some people need many f-words to prove a point or they fail to express themselves. If you look past it, you might find content, sometimes they are logical and valid. Others love the sound of their own voices, of course, can’t deny that.

I am one who would currently classify this game 5 of 10. I had fun in my first playthrough, endured most of the bugs, because they generally didn’t disrupt my gaming experience; just once in Kedara I had to replay 5h due a vault bug. After the hype, because I was infected by it, had passed, I sat back and started to replay and rethink aspects of the game. Right now, there’s nothing, nothing really, in the whole game that stands out to me. Nothing that makes me genuinely say: Wow. Nothing.

I was engulfed by a surge of ideas and things regarding improvements, basically most of the things that really bothered me in the game design, specially mechanics. I really cannot say that there is anything that I completely approve. I had concluded visuals were pleasant, I was ok with them. Face animations themselves was a small issue to me, but I missed much more body language, which overwhelmed the necessity of better facial expressions. The writing lacked depth, so I was ever thinking something would evolve, then nothing came. Then it was difficult sympathizing or sinking into the game.

I won’t really rephrase everything I said. They are spread on other threads, but I tried to structure them all with the best of my abilities.
However, you’ll surely find people who love the game as it is. The main issue being bugs and that’s that. You’ll grasp the ‘only one that feels this and that’ from anyone willing to post here. Now, if it’ll really give the insight you expect, I cannot be sure. What I mostly wanted to point out, is that communication and the way we express ourselves may not be the same, but a same thing being expressed in many ways by many different people cannot be ignored, specially when you work for a great public with so many cultural and political differences.

I’ll apologize in advance if I sounded too harsh. And welcome to the boards. I noticed it’s your first post.

Message 2 of 45 (923 Views)

★★★ Novice
That was a very deep response and you may have taken my title too literally but I do appreciate the answer. Honestly, I made this post mostly to see if anyone else's views aligned with my own and to get genuine opinions, which you definitely have delivered. For that, I thank you.

I agree with a lot of your viewpoints, especially when you say that nothing wowed you. To an extent, I've had the same experience, but I think Andromeda had laid decent groundwork, and can grow and maybe even recover with some decent dlc or plan for a kickass part two. I would say I love the game but also the theory of what it can become.

I don't think you were harsh at all, but I think your perception of the question was taken differently from what it was meant to be, I basically wanted to create openminded overall opinion thread from people in the community. I've been looking into some threads but I guess I'll have to look deeper.
Message 3 of 45 (911 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Usual misunderstandings, of course. ^_^

You are now referring to potential. I think it has a lot of it. I think the most impressive thing about the game is the sheer volume of potential it has. And that's either good and bad. Potential is something we acknowledge and appraise. It gives us expectations ... and then, you know what happens when we get things wrong, right? 

I hope it succeed, of course.

There's a bunch of repeated threads all over. Forum is a big messy, imho, but you can sort of find specific points here and there. I just didn't elaborated because I didn't think I should prolong my post. I thought a holistic comment would suffice. 

Join some threads. They are mostly buried by others, but they are almost all new anyway.

Message 4 of 45 (902 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I've never played a game through four times (NG+++) and I still haven't unlocked all the craftables, dang it. I enjoyed the story for the most part (barring some silly faux pas moments). I really like the fraternal twins (though I wouldn't have minded identical twins, either).

Message 5 of 45 (902 Views)

★★ Pro

I have to say, I totally had a few woah / wow moments.

The first time I went into a vault. I was like omg this place is awesome and huge, I feel so tiny.

Again a simliar feeling of awesome after climbing to the top of the tower on Havarrl - it looked great up there. I took a bunch of screenshots.

The massive field of Kett devices. Rather loud Kett devices.

There was also giggle moments - running around a strange alien structure turning everything on and hoping it didn’t kill me - I had a very real sense of the newness of the galaxy to the characters there. Everything felt unknown and that was cool.

Hab 7 felt very fleshed out but some of the later story quests not so much, they felt more rushed. Althiugh I really did wanna save BroRyder from that nasty Archon, didn't like hearing him getting hurt.

Would have liked more of the nexus to open up to us as playing, it felt small and lackluster compaired to the citadel in me1 when it could have been / should have been almost as big.

Things Ioved. Things that could have been done better. Things that didn't really work for me at all. Like all the games really. Totally needs bug fixes and lots of those. Over all I enjoyed it, maybe even more than any single of the trilogy games but not more than the trilogy as a whole, need more time to develop that kind of connection to the game and chars.

Different things appeal to different people I guess.

Message 6 of 45 (897 Views)

★★★ Pro

Think there are lots of threads that will answer your question and I have also posted on some of them, so I will keep this short.  I played 4 playthroughs and according to origin's little clock, I played 521 hours, so I like the game.  But in all honesty, I dont like it as much as I liked the original trilogy.  My opinion of why there's so much "hate" for MEA is simply benchmarking and expectations.  The hardcore fans of Mass Effect will have some expectation, if this expectation is not met, there will be negativity.  There will be less negativity if this product is marketed without the mass effect branding tagged to it.  Then again, without the ME name backing this game, think sales would have fallen considerably.

Message 7 of 45 (888 Views)

★ Pro

@VladVonCastein wrote:

My opinion of why there's so much "hate" for MEA is simply benchmarking and expectations.  The hardcore fans of Mass Effect will have some expectation, if this expectation is not met, there will be negativity.  There will be less negativity if this product is marketed without the mass effect branding tagged to it.  

Yup, tends to happen with trip-A titles a lot. If all the hype is not met, game is suddenly worst-game-evah. 

Agreed, perhaps not game of the year material, but defnitely very enjoyable. Bugs and glitches aside, some are already fixed and more to be fixed...we haven't even seen the "proper" version yet.

Message 8 of 45 (858 Views)

★★★ Pro

@Vellu78 wrote:

Yup, tends to happen with trip-A titles a lot. If all the hype is not met, game is suddenly worst-game-evah. 

Agreed, perhaps not game of the year material, but defnitely very enjoyable. Bugs and glitches aside, some are already fixed and more to be fixed...we haven't even seen the "proper" version yet.

LOL the problem I have with MEA(and this is coming from a guy that played 4 times and liked the game in general) is that my issues will never be fixed in this game.  That's because it's not a bug that I am disappointed over, true that bugs are annoying but I will gladly live with double the bugs if I get what I want from the game.  I just posted my comments on a diff thread, let me cut and paste it here as well.  

All in all, I like this game, a lot more than some other games, but I love the ME trilogy and am personally disappointed that MEA, in my opinion, is not better than the trilogy for the items that I appreciate most.  Combat is great, but character development, story line, NPCs, flavour & banter just isnt in the same league.  Eg visit the nexus vs visit the citadel, in the nexus you have the same people saying the same thing over and over again.  In the Citadel some very interesting and moving stories are told.  Eg the PTSD Asari telling her story which was eventually linked back to how Joker's sister died.  The turian husband needing to go to war and eventually telling his asari wife to go to sanctuary.  I was sitting here screaming NOOOOO!!!!  Liara's conversation with her dad was one of the best conversations in the game(best thing is that it changes if you are renegade and not romantically involve with Liara)!!  For me anyway,  MEA lost its Mass Effect soul, the thing that made the franchise special.

Message 9 of 45 (849 Views)

★ Pro

@VladVonCastein wrote:
 In the Citadel some very interesting and moving stories are told.  Eg the PTSD Asari telling her story which was eventually linked back to how Joker's sister died.  The turian husband needing to go to war and eventually telling his asari wife to go to sanctuary.  I was sitting here screaming NOOOOO!!!!  Liara's conversation with her dad was one of the best conversations in the game(best thing is that it changes if you are renegade and not romantically involve with Liara)!!  For me anyway,  MEA lost its Mass Effect soul, the thing that made the franchise special.

True, those things are missing and also cannot be (reasonably) patched in.

Perhaps in the sequels when we are hopefully given more character backstories and in general "get to know" everyone a little better.

Message 10 of 45 (844 Views)