Re: What Really Happened? (Spoilers Read at Own Risk)

by FutureSwagForce

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@fudgietroll wrote:

I never played SWTOR so I just have the KOTOR version, which is applicable. Revan was an individual you start out having no real emotional attachment to, then as you go along you find out more about them until WHAM they're back and screwing with the main antagonist's master plan. Alec is similar. We encounter him, couple brief interactions with him, he dies so we live, Daaad, etc., then we begin to find out more about him, including some of his off the books stuff, and he becomes more interesting, and we get a better idea of how he works, which is what got us to questioning his death in the first place. Really, if he comes back, the only way it works is if he pre-planned this and set it up so he could "die" in the first place, although we were probably not supposed to cut it as close as we did.

Well if I remember right you end up being Revan in the KOTOR series. In SWTOR he comes back as a raven lunatic set on vengeance against Vitiate. There are a couple of flash points (SWTOR dungeons), one on the Republic and one on the Empire side. I guess on the Republic side you set him free from his prison and on the Empire side you defeat him but just before he disappears again he does some 2 minute emo speech.

Then he comes back later in the main story line where his personality is split and his dark side is still trying to blindly confront Vitiate who is using him to come back himself. In the end Vitiate escapes and you have to beat Revan after which his two sides are reunited and he dies. So he has two comebacks in SWTOR. Vitiate also has a few and this create called Kephess also comes back a couple of times. All in the same game and there are actually more characters that have surprise returns left and right. 

If you haven't played SWTOR though I get why you may not see the issue, but for me they threw us to death with this gimmick and just wish they'd stop using it multiple times in each story. Look at it this way:

Main Ryder: dies in the story and has to be ressurrected

Twin Ryder: in coma after accident comes back later

Ma Ryder: presumed dead, comes back in stasis pod

Dad Ryder: ?

Do we really need another Ryder that's pulled out of the story and comes back?

To me it's just really getting old and by doing this multiple times in one game, it destroys the actual sense of loss. I want a story to have meaning and that it takes me through emotions. When people die and get up again left and right, the sense of loss is negated. And when that happens the "surprise" return is also lessened because you were sort of expecting it to happen.

Particularly after the Ellen Ryder discovery, the gimmick is used. It's supposed to be a powerful thing but by using it left and right so casually it loses its value.

That alone is reason enough for me to not want Alec to come back and to wonder why BioWare are not able to write stories anymore that don't involve multiple people coming back from the dead. If Alec is supposed to work out like Revan as you described it, they should've left Ellen and the twins alone on that. Then it could've been special.

I mean what are you suggesting? That ME:A2 is planned to be a game where you play Alec or Ellen Ryder?

Message 21 of 35 (887 Views)

★★★ Pro

i guess we're all getting resurrection sickness by now... lol. i haven't gotten into the old republic, nor TES online. even though my friends are telling me i should at least give them a try before writing them off. if i'm going to get into a new mmo, i'm going back to guildwars 2.

Message 22 of 35 (879 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I don't really find this fair, myself.

For player-character Ryder, it's pretty obvious that you only come close to dying and don't actually die. It's to show the seriousness of the situation.

For bro-sis Ryder, there is no sense of 'death' or anything, just that they have been injured and the doctor is being careful in treatment.

Mom Ryder, OTOH, that was actually a little slick, cool and nice as a storyline. And technically, she might not die, she's still literally only minutes/hours from dying from space-cancer/poison while in stasis.

About the only thing I do agree on is that Alex Ryder would be really lame if they brought him back, as your whole journey starts by his death and you filling in for his position.

Message 23 of 35 (872 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@fudgietroll wrote:

@draqonin wrote:

We may or may not have Alec's body somewhere. Whether Alec's body is around, or just listed as stored, cremated, etc. makes a lot of difference. The fact that we don't see Alec after we pass out on Habitat 7, along with Alec's general paranoid over-prepared Alecness, has helped fuel the speculation that he isn't dead, and was just gaming everyone. Of course, if he IS still alive he will probably of his own "faction" rather than Tempest crew, etc.Nerd

The whole thing makes me think of Liam Neeson's Col. Hannibal Smith escaping from prison. "So Satan walks into a bar..."Wink

LOOOL ...."and the bartender asks him: -What's the name of my bar?"    

But yes, he could be still alive, staying in the shadow and working on finding a cure, and who knows what else. In a way, not that you mention it, makes me think of those memory triggers.  ..hmmmm... how did those get  spread all over the places?  That's a cool twist.

That'd be something cool, someone (mysterious) feeding some intel every now and then. :eahigh_file:

Message 24 of 35 (868 Views)

★ Pro

@CasperTheLich wrote:

i guess we're all getting resurrection sickness by now... lol. i haven't gotten into the old republic, nor TES online. even though my friends are telling me i should at least give them a try before writing them off. if i'm going to get into a new mmo, i'm going back to guildwars 2.

Guild Wars 2?? Eek, rather you than me. That children's game is horrendous, but to each their own.

I just wish they hadn't ruined SWTOR as much as they have. I'd still be playing it but the latest expansion and that immoral cash shop really just killed the game for me completely.

To be fair I've been looking around but there's just no MMO out there that really ticks enough boxes for me and perhaps that's just as well.

Message 25 of 35 (859 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@EgoMania wrote:

Although I would agree that it's an unlikely scenario, I will not underestimate BioWare's obscene obsession with raising people back from the dead as a story gimmick.

Ryder already died a couple of times and came back right?

If you've played SWTOR you'll know what I mean when I mention Revan, Valkorion and Kephess. Their multiple ressurrections have become running gags and to me it's just a testament to BioWare's inability to continue good story writing. 

Personally I feel that BioWare is just repeating tricks that were once successful and are not looking too well at the law of diminishing returns. The truth probably is that BioWare was never really good at writing stories but rather at making compelling characters and interactions. DA:I fell flat for me because the companions were not compelling to me. ME:A is better for me because I actually do like a few of the companions and crew.

Anyways. I don't expect Alec to come back because I would not want him to come back as it would cheapen the story. In essence, even though she never truly died, Ellen already got the ressurrection treatment and for Alec to also get it would just be blah. Having said that, I don't put it past BioWare. It's something they could very well do, just because that's what's their story telling has been reduced to. I mean, as much as I have enjoyed playing ME:A, I suspect few people will actually say that the main story was really amazing and inspiring.

The thing is though, Ellen never did die. Alec sent her into cryo hoping that one day scientists could save her and find a cure. His thoughts were probably along the lines of, "Maybe there's an alien species in Andromeda that has or will have the science to help us. He then blocked that fact from his children. You know they would've brought her out of hibernation so they could cope with their own grief of losing Alec, which wouldn't have been fair to anyone.

Message 26 of 35 (849 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Wait...at the beginning of "Planetside", Ryder could repair his/her own helmet faceplate with the omni tool, but at the end he/she couldn't?  Why not? Ryder is not shown even trying to repair it. I found that strange. To the point that Alec "had" to remove his own helmet to place on his child to save their life. It certainly could have been that the faceplate was too far gone and Ryder realized it, but still......something to think about.

Message 27 of 35 (835 Views)

★ Pro

@57dragon wrote:

Wait...at the beginning of "Planetside", Ryder could repair his/her own helmet faceplate with the omni tool, but at the end he/she couldn't?  Why not? Ryder is not shown even trying to repair it. I found that strange. To the point that Alec "had" to remove his own helmet to place on his child to save their life. It certainly could have been that the faceplate was too far gone and Ryder realized it, but still......something to think about.

After the fall it was only a crack. At the end the visor is plain gone.

Message 28 of 35 (827 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Just started my fourth playthrough (yeah, I know...) and the fall created more than a crack, a good sized chunk was missing according to the graphics. Yes, at the end the faceplate was missing from the nose up to the hairline, and it was most probably just the way the scene was written, but something seemed.....off.

Message 29 of 35 (821 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@57dragon wrote:

Just started my fourth playthrough (yeah, I know...) and the fall created more than a crack, a good sized chunk was missing according to the graphics. Yes, at the end the faceplate was missing from the nose up to the hairline, and it was most probably just the way the scene was written, but something seemed.....off.

It seemed quite believable to me with the shattered visor and Alec choosing his daughter rather than himself.

Message 30 of 35 (817 Views)