Liam..

by Nykara360

Original Post

Liam..

★★ Pro

The poor guy, so many seem to not like him. So what I want to know is who out there does like him and what you like about him..

Haters can stay away please! Just Liam positive here. One thread in which he doesn't end up bashed in.. you can give us that.

The first thing I thought was sweet, was Liam sleeping on the floor in SAM node right at the begining when he barely even knew Ryder. A sign of someone who cares about others no matter what.

Message 1 of 88 (2,244 Views)

Re: Liam..

★★★★ Apprentice

I love Liam! I went to 5 gamestops until I found his funkopop figurine (why do they only have the Sara!?). Now, if only they just had a Vetra....

What I find really enjoyable about him is his enthusiasm. I don't really feel like we've had such an excited and open-minded Mass Effect character (Well, maybe James, but he's a little bit jaded from what happened in Paragon Lost). He really seems to just care about things with a deep passion and I always enjoyed talking to him.

Plus his loyalty mission was a lot fun, it made me think back to the amusement I had when playing Kasumi's loyalty mission in ME2.

Message 2 of 88 (2,192 Views)

★★★ Pro

Everyone will have positive and negative traits, if positives are the only things you wish to hear, I shall oblige.  His positives, well, he's the only one who believes and backs ryder from day 1.  After that you have that little team meeting where the team first met Jaal, Ryder was once again losing control of the crew and Liam backed Ryder once again.  During the little banters in the nomad with PeeBee, she mentioned that he's always taking position close to Ryder, seems like a deliberate attempt to be the one protecting him.  In any organisation, positive idealistic individuals are nice to have around, too much negativity could be cancerous.  Think Bioware intention is to position him as the "Buddy" for Ryder and as the grassroots of the community(which is an extremely important role).  With Ryder as the face of the initiative and a strong grassroots leader, the pair would do well.  (However dont think this has been achieved due to the quality of writing)  

Am a straight dude, never romanced him, so no comments on his romance story, physical attributes, looks etc.

Message 3 of 88 (2,191 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I just knew right away that it was YOU posting this.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/Disappointing-romance-after-the-hype-Liam-deserved-better/...

I remember full well you telling me I couldn't be in that thread either.  You and your confirmation bias threads ;p  Too silly.

I think if you're gonna start threads like this - it should be a discussion open to all - not you saying "no dislikers allowed."  Most of the reasons people dislike him far overshadow reasons to like him - but you are searching for one answer only, and that is the one that matches your own thoughts.

If that's the case - why replicate the exact same thread you made months ago (yeah that one focused purely on romance - but you were still looking for validation to your own opinion on Liam which is no different than now)?  

You already know why people like or don't like him lol

Message 4 of 88 (2,176 Views)

★ Guide

I have one positive thing to say about Liam..

He was better then Cora.

And as far as what we're allowed to say in this thread, you don't get to make that choice. Forums are for discussion and exchange of ideas an opinions. If you just want to hear your own voice, start a blog.

Message 5 of 88 (2,165 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@DarthLlama wrote:

I have one positive thing to say about Liam..

He was better then Cora.

And as far as what we're allowed to say in this thread, you don't get to make that choice. Forums are for discussion and exchange of ideas an opinions. If you just want to hear your own voice, start a blog.

I have a blog actually.
Im also open to constructive criticism  (anyone even here who knows me, knows this). What im tired of is all the airlock him, kill him off, he is boring etc comments that have no context, just sheep following the flock because its cool.  Besides as far as I am aware, positivity is just as welcomed here as any negativity. Plenty of threads to post negatively about him if you wish to do so.. you don't have to taint a positive thread. I asked nicely, I wasn't trying to be rude (the opositr infact).
@lagruej My last one about his romance was different. This isn't about his romance specifically - just the character. The thread about his romance being poorly done (as other romances ig where) was another discussion entirely. This isn't about game mechanics etc.
Im not trying to validate anything. I like Liam, I don't require any validation for liking a character or not liking one. Im also allowed to be curious if anyone else does and what they like about said char.
Message 6 of 88 (2,154 Views)

★ Guide

Fair enough, personally.. I was only neutral on Liam.

I didn't dislike him as much as I dislike Kaiden in the original trilogy, but the character didn't have enough substance to draw me in either.

The only one I just actively hate to talk to is Cora, I found her and her 'hero worship' to be annoying beyond belief.

Liam wasn't bad, I just liked the other characters a little better. Apologies if my reply sounded rude, that wasn't the intent. I believe I misread the tone of your original post.

In the end, ME:A had different things for each of us, for you.. you identified with Liam, that's not a bad thing. It's normal for people to be drawn to different characters in a game like this.

Message 7 of 88 (2,134 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Nykara360you are really nice. Standard smile I like you. And so:  The ONLY nice thing at Liam is NYKARA360! Wink

(I still want to throw him trough the airlock. Never hated a NPC SO mutch like him.)

Sorry: I also think @lagruej is right. Sorry. Raised eyebrow

Message 8 of 88 (2,121 Views)

★★★ Pro

@DarthLlama wrote:

Fair enough, personally.. I was only neutral on Liam.

I didn't dislike him as much as I dislike Kaiden in the original trilogy, but the character didn't have enough substance to draw me in either.

The only one I just actively hate to talk to is Cora, I found her and her 'hero worship' to be annoying beyond belief.

Liam wasn't bad, I just liked the other characters a little better. Apologies if my reply sounded rude, that wasn't the intent. I believe I misread the tone of your original post.

In the end, ME:A had different things for each of us, for you.. you identified with Liam, that's not a bad thing. It's normal for people to be drawn to different characters in a game like this.

LOL I didnt dislike Kaidan until he totally shocked me in ME3 I was sitting here, mouth wide open with disbelief, I thought he was straight!  I was romancing Tali in that playthrough, and he just totally caught me by surprise...  I mean in ME1 we were chatting about how hot Liara was lol...  Thought we were bros!!  Then he springs this on me??!!  I was actually fine with Cortez he tested the waters, I told him I am straight, he backed off, that's fine.  

Message 9 of 88 (2,119 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Nykara360 wrote:

The poor guy, so many seem to not like him. So what I want to know is who out there does like him and what you like about him..

Haters can stay away please! Just Liam positive here. One thread in which he doesn't end up bashed in.. you can give us that.

The first thing I thought was sweet, was Liam sleeping on the floor in SAM node right at the begining when he barely even knew Ryder. A sign of someone who cares about others no matter what.

I like him, he's just useless.

People hate the almost childish way that he is written, which I like.  The "I shot him in the face" etc.. I think that's hilarious and trading insults with jaal.  And his backstory.

But as an Aid in Combat.. he just dies all the time.

Message 10 of 88 (2,109 Views)