Re: For an Insanity first play, is Havarl or Voeld a better route?

by Savage_Gnomes

Original Post

For an Insanity first play, is Havarl or Voeld a better route?

★★★ Novice

I recently started ME: A, and was doing a kind of casual run, playing on Normal up to the point where Voeld's vault was clear and much of Eos was open. But at level 17 started to feel like I was getting a bit overpowered during encounters, so decided to up the challenge and restart on Insanity for a first run.  Made it through the early levels (with a bit of swearing), but the difficulty has been a great motivator to really push the crafting side. So, I'm now level 11 and I have just reached a point where I can either go back and start taking on Voeld side quests and clear the monolith vault, or I can go to Havarl.

Since this is on Insanity, I'm trying to reach a decent level before taking on anything serious in the way of bosses (and TBH I'm enjoying the exploration and side quests much more than I expected). For anyone who has played, which route is more manageable?

A) Follow my original path, clearing Voeld enough to open Eos, then go back there and run side quests before moving on to Havarl?

(OR)

B) Go to Havarl, complete the vault and side quests, then follow my original path on Voeld?

(OR)

C) Some other suggested route I haven't thought of?

I'm familiar with the starting areas on Voeld, as well as having gone through the vault once. I read up a bit on Havarl and it's my understanding that this is a smaller, simpler area to complete, but that you have to take on one of those double turret mechs (Destroyer?). I don't remember crossing paths with one of those when I did the Voeld vault, but I suppose I might have missed it.

Just trying to decide which is the path of least resistance on Insanity, if there is one.  If it matters, I'm running as an Infiltrator (Cloak, Overload, Energy Drain), but I also have the Sentinel profile with points in Pull and Throw, if the situation requires it. My main weapon is the Black Widow.

Any tips or suggestions?

Message 1 of 4 (6,485 Views)

★ Guide

My personal preference is to do Havarl first. The biggest reason for this is I make extensive use of the "Fusion Mod of Adrenaline" (Increase cooldowns by 100%. Reset all cooldowns on kill) that I can obtain after completing Havarl's story quest. (After doing the main quest, activating the vault, etc, you can find a console in a small cave that activates the pillars with horizontal gravity wells to take you to the door with the fusion mod)

As for difficulty, Havarl is easier.

There are destroyers on both Havarl and Voeld. Both of them are able to be easily avoided though, especially with cloak.

Message 2 of 4 (6,469 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Havarl does not have temperature hazards so is easier to explore plus it is smaller.

It also has some nice loot if you can find it. 

All in all a nice place to get some leveling of your Ryder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 4 (6,465 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks very much for your feedback.  I'll give Havarl a shot, and since I haven't visited there in my first partial run, at least I'll have some gameplay variety.  I've read about how brutal some of the bosses can be on Insanity, so I'm not sure if I'll have the patience for that, but I would at least like to try them after leveling a decent amount.

Message 4 of 4 (6,446 Views)