Do you also think the multiplayer characters suck?

by RedM3rcury

Original Post

Do you also think the multiplayer characters suck?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Having played more ME3 multiplayer hours than I care to count I can honestly say that the current selection of multiplayer characters are quite disappointing. They are all very similar with an ineffective spread of powers. Given the context of ME3, with the galaxy ending and all I can understand that the selection of N7 operatives are wider but there are so many missing class types and weapons. 

I think the fact that there are not as many powers/tech abilities as in ME3 and the very limited weapons also contributes. I say limited weapons as there are very few weapons that are truly effective and uniqe (lots of useless-feeling weapons such as all Assault Rifles) so all these aspects together feels like there are very limited characters that are actually effective in the mix. 

I, for example, can solo bronze with my human vanguard and infiltrator but the other characters feel quite under-powered and as though I just can't connect with them. 

I do hope that this gets better with DLC as I suspect they will be adding additional characters but damn do I miss my N7-shadow with her executioner pistol :/

My opinion...still is fun to play but yeah..

Message 1 of 23 (863 Views)

Re: Do you also think the multiplayer characters suck?

★★★★★ Apprentice

I think the MP sucks in general. I was hoping for something completely different than what we got...something that I felt mattered. BUT nope.

Message 2 of 23 (838 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Pretty much agree.  Multiplayer has a long way to go for sure...

1) BUG FIXES, for the CTDs, losing sound, getting trapped in parts of maps, etc.

2) MORE MAPS! What I miss most from ME3 is the collection of maps.

3) More characters, and with ME3 powers again. I really miss Stasis! :>

Message 3 of 23 (837 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Yeah, I can say it's not appealing in any way.

I'm not a MP player, actually. I played MP back in ME3 because I wanted 100% galactic readiness, you see. But even not playing that much, it was fun for a while. Got bored rather quickly though.

Staring at MEA MP made me frown, actually. The downgrade feels too dense even to comprehend, let alone try it.

Message 4 of 23 (836 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Yup agreed. Especially with the UR characters, in my opinion there are are better characters in the lower tier section. Like the Gladiator, she only exists for priming but the asari adept has annihilation and detonators.

Message 5 of 23 (832 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I could recommend trying a couple ideas:

Human engineer - Get the freezing ray so that it freezes the environment. You can basically freeze doorways, corridors as well as freeze enemies directly. It's fun to combo enemies when they run towards you freezing themselves. And the turret can help in it as well.

Salarian architect - Slightly harder to do well, but you can use the barricade as a weapon. Give the barricade shocking power and you have an easy primer. Just get close to enemies, shock them with barricade and combo with the VI or incinerate. Then just shotgun them 'til they drop from behind the barricade.

Asari Duelist - Her ability to warp through walls and barricades are great. And when you melee with her, instead of just poking enemy with her sword, she warps slightly, making her basically invulnerable for a short moment. And if you have the skill where you get some of the shields back with every hit, she's is incredible strong flanking fast attacker.

Asari Sentinel - Fully boosted backlash is fun. You can also use her to protect friendlies behind the cover for example. She can even bounce back Ascendent's attack at him.

There many more, but those are the ones I can think of the top of my head this fast that are a bit more uncommonly seen in use. But I understand what you mean. I think one reason for it could be the number of snipers in missions. So many likes to use Vanguisher and infiltrators because it is too easy and I think because of that, many characters feels useless. 

Message 6 of 23 (825 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Tuinbonen While Asari Adept is good for running around and comboing, I personally see Krogan Gladiator more as a crowd control. She can use the annihilation to make unarmored and unshielded enemies to hit the floor and pull to get enemies close for the easy kill. I suppose she's not as fast at killing though because of that

Message 7 of 23 (824 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

<rant>

The way that MP ties into single player doesn't make sense to me either. With ME3 it added to Galactic Readiness but was also a bit of a squandered opportunity as it didn't really matter when you are basically presented with options on how to end the game lol.

If we had Apex help out in single player by, for example, adding a strategic portion to defending your outposts from attacks by building turrets and having your Apex commandos help out, that would motivate people more into leveling to 20 and submitting the character to 'field duty'

Just feel there are so many missed opportunities here as well, outposts could be responsible for mining instead of the player and the focus could be on extending the outpost's reach/capabilities and defenses.

But I digress, MP has many issues..boring enemies, boring characters and boring maps. The DLC's should focus on this but I am not expecting any miracles. Compared to the enemies in ME3 (Cereberus, Reaper and Geth) the MEA enemies don't really have tactics. Cereberus felt like a proper team/squad that tactfully attacks and flanks where the Outcasts sorta does this. The Kett are basically only difficult because they are mostly overpowered due to insanely high shields and almost no power bar for Overload being effective on shields...they don't employ much tactics and pretty much only move forward. The Remnant are a joke..never before have I seen a more ridiculous looking enemy and the fact that they participate in 'Kidnap Missions' is even more funny. 

MP is buggy yeah but also gets very boring very quickly. I could play ME3 for hours and not get bored.

</rant>

Message 8 of 23 (806 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

It really gets old when people bash on a game because it is not the exact game that came before it.

The game is fun and fresh. Classes are reasonably balanced and serve different functions, and it runs really well on my rig. I clear golds with 20k+ with maybe 18k+ on an unleveled character. Solo bronze with 35-40k+. There are plenty of weapons and characters to choose from. There are 7 known maps with variable conditions, 3 enemy factions and 5 or so known objective types. Even if a few of them are only available intermittently there is more than meets the eye. This game has a respectable amount of content and room for growth. Just as ME3 evolved so will Andromeda.

Message 9 of 23 (794 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I was an avid player of ME multi and it was another reason why I was so very hyped about the upcoming Andromeda... yet, up until now I put just a few hours in Andromeda multiplayer (focusing on single player), exactly 'cause it's quite a disappointment. 

Maybe it's just a feeling, but it's kinda "dull" compared to the variety of powers/classes introduced little by little in the previous multi, and all those different settings. Ok, there's still variety in Andromeda's multi as well, but there's nothing that feels so new to be "woah" like it was in the old one. 

Well, maybe I'll change my mind, but for now it's just a bad copy of the previous multiplayer.

Message 10 of 23 (790 Views)