Could the Benefactor Be a Shadowbroker?

by PretzleMe

Original Post

Re: Could the Benefactor Be a Shadowbroker?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Vellu78 wrote:

SAM (the Ryder modified one, not the other pathfinders) was/is on the Ark Hyperion, not the Nexus. At that time (Garsons murder) Hyperion had not even arrived at Heleus yet. But QEC comms could negate that.

But the other bits don't fit for SAM. For example, prior knowledge (years, if not decades) of impending doom before Initiative or SAM itself was even a thing.

Actually, while SAM originated as one entity (it had been only one entity under development of Alec, i.e. when Alec had been contacted by Benefactor for the first time), there are multiple SAMs in Andromeda. Every Ark has one, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that there is no instance of SAM on Nexus. Plus there is this QEC thing that is clearly mentioned in MEA lore, which means that all those SAMs *can* be actually connected. But they need not to be as long as they have common agenda and modus operandi. Not to mention that smart mastermind could have simply put secret agents in all the relevant places with clear instructions how to act and at what triggers.

Andromeda Initiative was founded in 2176, and took off in 2185. I am unsure when exactly Alec started to work on SAM, but he was attache on Citadel in 2160s, and it is clear that he started his AI research at that time (because, well, he was discharged from Alliance because of the very fact). It then took him many years to develop final version of SAM. ME1 starts in 2183, and ME3 in 2186. There is really no reason why SAM should be oblivious of all the "prior knowledge" IF it actually went rogue.

At the same time, I do not really think that SAM is Benefactor. My suggestion was more in terms of a joke than actual "accusation".

Message 21 of 60 (749 Views)

★★★ Pro

@Kondaru wrote:

@Vellu78 wrote:

SAM (the Ryder modified one, not the other pathfinders) was/is on the Ark Hyperion, not the Nexus. At that time (Garsons murder) Hyperion had not even arrived at Heleus yet. But QEC comms could negate that.

But the other bits don't fit for SAM. For example, prior knowledge (years, if not decades) of impending doom before Initiative or SAM itself was even a thing.

Actually, while SAM originated as one entity (it had been only one entity under development of Alec, i.e. when Alec had been contacted by Benefactor for the first time), there are multiple SAMs in Andromeda. Every Ark has one, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that there is no instance of SAM on Nexus. Plus there is this QEC thing that is clearly mentioned in MEA lore, which means that all those SAMs *can* be actually connected. But they need not to be as long as they have common agenda and modus operandi. Not to mention that smart mastermind could have simply put secret agents in all the relevant places with clear instructions how to act and at what triggers.

Andromeda Initiative was founded in 2176, and took off in 2185. I am unsure when exactly Alec started to work on SAM, but he was attache on Citadel in 2160s, and it is clear that he started his AI research at that time (because, well, he was discharged from Alliance because of the very fact). It then took him many years to develop final version of SAM. ME1 starts in 2183, and ME3 in 2186. There is really no reason why SAM should be oblivious of all the "prior knowledge" IF it actually went rogue.

At the same time, I do not really think that SAM is Benefactor. My suggestion was more in terms of a joke than actual "accusation".

I thought we were starting to reach out toward the implausible too.

New theory: The Kett - because everything else is starting to taste like chicken to them.

Message 22 of 60 (741 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Hmm, whoever or whatever is behind the creation of the Andromeda Initiative (which I keep accidentally calling the Avenger Initiative (don'r judge me!!)) what would be their motivations you think?

I would almost have to think they would have had to care about all the species because if not, why include/involve them.  That's probably the only thread I can't see working for the Shadowbroker and definitely not for Cerberus (as at least one other person pointed out) so hmm.

Oddly enough, a rogue reaper would fit that considering the odd thing was that reapers did what they did (at least in their eyes and or their creators) for the preservation of life... I think.  It's been awhile.  But one could come to a different conclusion as the most effective way to accomplish that task.  Again, someone else mentioned reapers as a possibility.  Just got me thinking.

The Benefactor could even be someone indoctrinated by said Reaper?  I don't know.  Still think the Reaper thing would be way off.

But, if whoever didn't bring all these races out here because they care about the continuation of all species, what would be their motivation?

Message 23 of 60 (722 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Hey Vlad, where did you get that image or see that datapad rather?  I am pretty sure I missed it.  That's pretty damned cool.

Message 24 of 60 (725 Views)

★★★ Pro
@PretzleMe
IIRC, the data pad is in the exaltation facility you raid with the resistance to rescue the moshae (or however you spell that title).
Message 25 of 60 (720 Views)

★★★ Pro

@PretzleMe

I missed it all 3 of my playthroughs...  On my 4th, I was at the Kett Base where you rescued the moshae, think it was the first area after entering the building.  There are 3 areas to go to, one on the left the other the right and the one to progress the mission is straight ahead.  The datapad is on one of the wings, either left or right.  Think Ryder would ask Jaal if he wishes to "Toss" the place and Jaal's responded saying "Whatever that means it doesnt sound violent enough".  Taking it at face value seems like the Benefactor sent Hztch(whoever that is, Angarian?) to the Kett to learn from them...  Seems really dodgy.

Message 26 of 60 (714 Views)

★★★ Pro

As for theories of SAM being the benefactor, unless there's a time machine created(that's a whole lot of new theories can spawn forth if that's the case, hehehehe, could be shepard!! heck it could be reaper shepard sharing indoctrination with the kett and they made it a religion hehehe) it cant logically be SAM.  The reason Alec Ryder went on his ride(pun intended) to Andromeda was because he needed to fix SAM up to save his wife.  That's when the Benefactor met him(via the vid call thing) and agreed to fund SAM and wanted him to use it for the initiative.  So SAM cant be the benefactor cause he's not made yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlyJNi-00k

Message 27 of 60 (713 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

That's incorrect - Benefactor contacted Alec when SAM was already in development for a long time. It was exactly because Alec already used all the money Ryders had on the R&D. So by that time SAM could have easily been sentient and connected to millions of other systems universe-wide. And actually SAM would be *very* interested in sponsoring Alec by then...

Message 28 of 60 (701 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@PretzleMe wrote:

I actually hope it isn't an AI.  It obviously could be one but I am AI/advanced machined out.  And whoever it is, if they're bad, I hope we actually get to lay hands on that person and bust them up rather than give them a computer virus or over loading them.

Riiiiight, and that is why abbreviation for Andromeda Initiative is... AI?   ;-D

Message 29 of 60 (695 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@PretzleMe wrote:

But, if whoever didn't bring all these races out here because they care about the continuation of all species, what would be their motivation?

1. Good of their heart (because sometimes it does exist)
  2. Enslavement
  3. Experimentation: good science
  4. Experimentation: battle grounds (Predator)
  5. Experimentation: social tinkering
  6. Experimentation: weapon testing (bioweapon)
  7. Self preservation
  8. Isolate and weaken Milky Way
  9. Rewrite MW history on Andromeda on their own terms
  10. Win a bet
Message 30 of 60 (689 Views)