Re: Can we have a possibility to equip weapons to companions?

by mberezovsky

Original Post

Can we have a possibility to equip weapons to companions?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

At difficulty beyond normal (hardcore or whatever in English) i'd like to equip specific weapons to companions like we could do it in ME3. Or may be I can but I can't figure out how?

The problem is at my difficulty they don't seem to deal any damage to enemies by shooting them (it's possibly due to weapons being very bad but can't know for sure). They only dish some damage by skills which is also looks laughful (i stick to Cora and Peebee specifically). And the point is their help is much appreciated at harder difficulty because at normal it doesn't look like you need any help from them at all.

Message 1 of 10 (2,723 Views)

★ Guide

As much as i would love the additional customization of henchemen using my selfmade weapons, wouldnt it lower the difficulty level when the compainions would use weapons that are upgraded to the max possible degree for each stage of your game? Isnt it part of the challenge to be able to survive a fight even with the vanilla guns of your compainions?

Message 2 of 10 (2,707 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Simpson3k In my opinion the difficulty must mean more stronger enemies, advanced AI (like using skill often and more reasonable, dodging the skills and so on, actually treating companions like worth targets), making fights more tactical (like enemies flanking and suppressing) but not really making companions bags of sand. They somehow managed to preserve balance of difficulty and companion value into DAI and MET. Never really had the feeling there's no reason to have the party before.

Message 3 of 10 (2,700 Views)

★ Guide

It wouldn't matter if you could choose their weapons since the companions don't hit what they are shooting at anyway.  Even when they do shoot instead of just stand there waiting for you to kill all the enemies.  I watched Jaal shooting at a target while on Veold and his shots sprayed all around the enemy without connecting.  Very disappointing.

Message 4 of 10 (2,673 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@onemadvagabond That's the matter of weapon accuracy which can be solved by choosing correct weapon i believe. Peebee with pistol actually hits enemies quite well but for next to zero damage. Whereas Cora with shotgun can't land a hit at a distance.

Message 5 of 10 (2,659 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yes at first I missed this, but it was also a head ache trying to keep all there weapons up to date, in previous games.

I am sort of okay with its absence now, but I do really miss being able to make multiple characters, as best i can tell if I make a new character my old on is completely over writen. 

I don't like that. I have always enjoyed being able to make multiple play through s, and test different Ideas, some times I have ran 2 identical characters through, at the same time, and made exact opposite choices, as a way of enjoying the games diversity fully.

It seems sort of cheap that they removed that, I was very upset about that one.

Message 6 of 10 (2,655 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
The lack of customization for companions is one of the biggest disappointments in this game. And not just customization, their AI in combat seems rather lacking as well. A lot of the time they don't bother with taking cover or anything, they just more or less stand out in the open and shot (and miss) and (miss)use their powers. My peebee keep wasting her biotic powers on shielded enemies even though there are plenty of non-shielded ones available. It seems like they compensated for this with the extremely high health and shields that companions get, at least compared to my engineering Ryder.

I would love to be able to choose weapons, or maybe just add mods, for my companions. And it would be awesome with alternative outfits like in ME2...
Message 7 of 10 (2,635 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

What I really do not understand is why do we have the ability to craft tens of weapons and armors which no one will use. In my current game I crafted a Black Widow (now level 5) and now I am triyng N7 Valiant (lvl 5 as well). That is all. I have no need to craft any other weapon. The same goes with armor. I tried Pathfinder at lvl 3 and now have Maverick Deadeye at lvl 5. Again, no need to craft other. If we could give weapons and armor to companions, I would bother to collect resources and to craft them. I really wonder who made this decision not to be able to do it...

Message 8 of 10 (2,620 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Well, what weapon and armour you want to use is kind of dependent on which abilities you use and your playstyle, so there is a need for different weapons and stuff. Then there's also the feel of the gun. I love the predator just because how it handles, even though it might not be the best pistol out there.

But, I agree that a lot of the stuff feel superfluous... and that it would be so much more meaningful to craft different types of gear if you could equip your companions.
Message 9 of 10 (2,612 Views)

★ Pro

I would love to equip my squad with my special elite gear. Also, being able to give them some custom outfits would be fun as well!Wink

Message 10 of 10 (2,554 Views)