Ambiance and mood

by arthurh3535

Original Post

Ambiance and mood

★★★★★ Guide

So I heard some complaints about MAE not having the same mood or ambiance feeling you got from the first games with lackluster areas. And I think at least the first part is easy to correct, if you make your music setting in Audio about 10% to 15% higher than any everything else. Which, with the current way things are set up, requires you to lower them all by that 10% to 15% and raise your volume. 

Definitely increased my immersion and feelings when you enter the vaults for the first time.

Message 1 of 15 (622 Views)

Re: Ambiance and mood

★★★★ Pro

Hmm, to me the greatest difference between then and now is that then the OST told the story, and now it doesn't. This difference cannot be fixed with volume alone, sadly. There's also the matter that most of the planets has not a really rich ecosystem, which makes it even more noticeable the lack of ambiance or music on the background. Back then, you would not remain on places for to long to notice much of anything rather than the actual story, the OST playing along with it and the sound effects of shooting, dialogue and some ambiance. But MEA requires you to wander longer in certain environments, so there's a different feel about it, which requires a different solution for immersion. Or so I think.

Message 2 of 15 (618 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Did you actually try making the music level relatively higher than SFX, Dialog and such?

Message 3 of 15 (612 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Back when I was playing yes, tweaked a lot here and there, using and not using headsets, even playing supportive white sounds with it. Why?

Message 4 of 15 (610 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@PandaTar wrote:

Back when I was playing yes, tweaked a lot here and there, using and not using headsets, even playing supportive white sounds with it. Why?

Lowering all the other volume levels except music is a bit counter-intuitive and it made a great deal of difference. Entering the Vault on Eos and the escape of the purge becomes much more gripping.

Message 5 of 15 (604 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello everyone! 

As for, I`ve enjoyed Voeld soundtrack much. Cool ambient track, was really snowy and chilly. Vaults music is good one as well, mysterious and moody. 

Cheers, 

Archi

Archi.png
Message 6 of 15 (583 Views)

★★★ Pro

The issue I have with music/sound/banter/announcements...  Well is that I can hardly hear the music it's too soft, I dont feel like turning down the volume for the other parts in order to make the music louder for fear that I would lose the good banter parts.  The random encounters with people or animals attacking you, those damn announcements from SAM about temperature and sometimes when nearing a quest site Ryder makes some kind of an announcement...  It's really disruptive, interrupting banter especially when they dont repeat.  Can remember during my first playthrough Drack was asking PeeBee her age and I was really interested in that(as in another forum there was a discussion on that and speculation on her age vs liara's) when she wanted to say her line, SAM interrupted me and you cant image how pissed off I was...  It was only on my 2nd or 3rd platthrough that I got the exact same banter again and this time I stopped the nomad and let it finish before I continue on my merry way... 

Message 7 of 15 (569 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Unless you are playing at max volume on your computer/TV, you should be able to lower SFX, Voice, etc and leave your main and music at max in the game, then turn up the volume on your speakers/OS or on your TV.

Message 8 of 15 (567 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

I see your point there @VladVonCastein Happened to me on quite a few occasions. Some really fun Peebee/Cora interactions were rudely interrupted. Patch 1.06 removed those regular SAM notifications. So this should not be such an issue anymore.

Cheers,

Archi  

Archi.png
Message 9 of 15 (553 Views)

★★★ Pro

@EA_Archi wrote:

I see your point there @VladVonCastein Happened to me on quite a few occasions. Some really fun Peebee/Cora interactions were rudely interrupted. Patch 1.06 removed those regular SAM notifications. So this should not be such an issue anymore.

Cheers,

Archi  

I just had a playthrough after 1.07 was out, SAM's email notifications are reduced at the start, however towards the end it came back.  As for travelling in the nomad, SAM still goes on about the temperature.

Message 10 of 15 (549 Views)