Alec Ryder (spoilers)

by jpcerutti1

Original Post

Re: Alec Ryder (spoilers)

★ Pro

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

@PandaTar wrote:

Isn't the transferring of SAM a very ... debilitating thing?

The mechanics aren't particularly clear, and you add to that with the human SAM also being an atypical SAM.

Do you think it even possible to 'abdicate'? Does the transfer of a SAM require a death as some sort of sacrifice to the AI/VI gods?

Sarissa's will transfer without killing her. The human one has been tinkered with past that point so it is iffier. You are also uniquely bonded to it beyond pop's tinkering  - so are an even bigger maybe.

I wonder what I have for onboard memory. Usually a field panel, like me, has some that retains setpoints and parameters if it quits talking to the server. I wonder if that is what is keeping me alive when the network crashes - or if I really can survive without SAM.

The whole point of other twin's remote chip reboot was that SAM had taken over so much his absence was killing you, but post reboot, during and after the meridian battle, you should be independently survivable, although at reduced capability without SAM. If Alec had the same Pre-reboot issues losing SAM would have killed him without someone to do a reboot.

Message 51 of 60 (707 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@fudgietroll wrote:

The whole point of other twin's remote chip reboot was that SAM had taken over so much his absence was killing you, but post reboot, during and after the meridian battle, you should be independently survivable, although at reduced capability without SAM. If Alec had the same Pre-reboot issues losing SAM would have killed him without someone to do a reboot.

I think it was stated that SAM had to take over so much to bring you back to life the first time (which is why SAM had to re-calibrate the connection).

Message 52 of 60 (705 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@jpcerutti1

Do you think the Ryder siblings have the same disease their mother have? We know she developed such disease by meddling with eezo, but who knows how far it could infect or if it was something strictly from her job. Given SAM was speaking privately before Alec died, it could be that he warned Alec about something else, a critical state in his son/daughter got into, and he couldn't afford the risk. Giving their task is supposed to find a cure, it would grant their survival, at the cost of Alec's life only.

Message 53 of 60 (699 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@PandaTar wrote:

@jpcerutti1

Do you think the Ryder siblings have the same disease their mother have? We know she developed such disease by meddling with eezo, but who knows how far it could infect or if it was something strictly from her job. Given SAM was speaking privately before Alec died, it could be that he warned Alec about something else, a critical state in his son/daughter got into, and he couldn't afford the risk. Giving their task is supposed to find a cure, it would grant their survival, at the cost of Alec's life only.

I'm pretty sure that 'incurable, fatal illness' would have been mentioned at some time.

Message 54 of 60 (689 Views)

★★★ Pro

@PandaTar wrote:

@jpcerutti1

Maybe? I would of hoped Lexi would catch that with a workup. I'm still not clear on what is APB and what is need-to-know with SAM's lines. I tried going back and seeing if the choice of addressing (Pathfinder, your name, just a statement) helped (also with subtitles - which are sometimes titled as private) and if there is a set of rules there they don't strictly adhere to them.

Don't know if the selective editing was Bioware intentional/sloppy or SAM intentional. I do NOT trust the hardware in my head. The original scene (post helmet) runs longer than the memory with you pitching over at the end of the memory. Intentionally blurry - but with the facial rendering issues I don't think there's any point in trying to lipread what is said. Until they choose to untangle it, it will remain a mystery wrapped in a conundrum folded into an enigma.

Message 55 of 60 (684 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I don't think SAM ever states that he has a stronger connection with you than he did your father.  In fact, I am pretty certain he states that the connection he has with you is the same as the one he had with Alec.

That being said, Lexi stated that removing the SAM would kill you (which we can now take as simply being severely debilitating) so based on the above, it would be possible that Alec died, not from the atmosphere (or at least not that alone) and instead died because of the SAM transfer either killing him or crippling him so much that in that environment, he couldn't survive for as long as the average person.

This is possibly why SAMs don't usually transfer until a Pathfinder is dead as it is likely dangerous to the host.

Alec's death could have been done better but to me, it is clear they just wanted him to die and do so in a way that required him to save his kid and this was the best way they could think of.  

But (as at least one other person pointed out) it was such a "We just want him dead" type situation that he never matters again.  We don't retrieve his body.  Do a funeral or anything.  It's like they didn't even try hard to make his death matter or make much sense.

People survive worse now and with SAM enhancing him, I feel like Alec could have lasted even longer than well trained people.  This makes Alec surviving that situation using a buddy system quite feasible.

In fact, he has a super AI in his head that would have likely been able to devise a way for both of them to survive the situation now that I think about it.

So, to be fair, I think him dying could have been done better but I concede that I cannot think of a better death that would also allow him to sacrifice himself for his kid and/or his team.  I personally would have abandoned that aspect and just settled for a more believable death.

(interfacing directly with alien tech my chosen method of him needing to transfer SAM and if killing Alec is a must, it could have done that too)

Message 56 of 60 (672 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@PretzleMe wrote:

I don't think SAM ever states that he has a stronger connection with you than he did your father.  In fact, I am pretty certain he states that the connection he has with you is the same as the one he had with Alec.

That being said, Lexi stated that removing the SAM would kill you (which we can now take as simply being severely debilitating) so based on the above, it would be possible that Alec died, not from the atmosphere (or at least not that alone) and instead died because of the SAM transfer either killing him or crippling him so much that in that environment, he couldn't survive for as long as the average person.

This is possibly why SAMs don't usually transfer until a Pathfinder is dead as it is likely dangerous to the host.

Alec's death could have been done better but to me, it is clear they just wanted him to die and do so in a way that required him to save his kid and this was the best way they could think of.  

But (as at least one other person pointed out) it was such a "We just want him dead" type situation that he never matters again.  We don't retrieve his body.  Do a funeral or anything.  It's like they didn't even try hard to make his death matter or make much sense.

People survive worse now and with SAM enhancing him, I feel like Alec could have lasted even longer than well trained people.  This makes Alec surviving that situation using a buddy system quite feasible.

In fact, he has a super AI in his head that would have likely been able to devise a way for both of them to survive the situation now that I think about it.

So, to be fair, I think him dying could have been done better but I concede that I cannot think of a better death that would also allow him to sacrifice himself for his kid and/or his team.  I personally would have abandoned that aspect and just settled for a more believable death.

(interfacing directly with alien tech my chosen method of him needing to transfer SAM and if killing Alec is a must, it could have done that too)

All good thoughts.

I don't know why, especially with the memory, they didn't use some of that last breath to make him a more sympathetic character. To say a line or two of concern, regret, or love for me or my sibling. Is almost as if they want me to be, at best, ambivalent about dad. Wanting me to pick up ma's torch is one thing - the singlemindedness of it, even while he dies, is another.

Everybody speaks so highly of dad; why make him the great Santini?

Message 57 of 60 (667 Views)

★ Pro

@PretzleMe wrote:

People survive worse now and with SAM enhancing him, I feel like Alec could have lasted even longer than well trained people.

Maybe he did (Dun-dun-dun)

Message 58 of 60 (631 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@fudgietroll wrote:

@PretzleMe wrote:

People survive worse now and with SAM enhancing him, I feel like Alec could have lasted even longer than well trained people.

Maybe he did (Dun-dun-dun)

That's right! I bet he did. Nerd

Alec's death had a really steep and short removal from the big picture. He died and that was it...No comments or follow up about his death or his body, or funeral, or whatever else were brought up, except he is dead...end of story. Possible but also doubtful.

Apparently all Ryders had that implant, which only need to be activated and then SAM will integrate. I suspect Alec will have some role to play from the shadows. Maybe he will be a hidden observant and a facilitator between events in Andromeda.

Or it could be Alec's most important goal is to find a cure by stepping away from the Pathfinder role, now that his son picked up that role.

I would even think he will probably attempt a link with the Milky Way. That'd be some wild turn of plots, when later in the story we will find out he was behind many things.    :eahigh_file:

Message 59 of 60 (609 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

That ignores the fact that they have a damaged ark, a mostly nonfunctioning Nexus and thousands of people that need a place to live as soon as possible or you are _ALL_ going to die.

Message 60 of 60 (604 Views)