4k gaming

by drasticenigma

Original Post

Accepted Solution

4k gaming

★★ Novice
Hey everyone. Noob question but I was wondering if my pc setup should handle mass effect andromeda on 4k ultra. Ryzen 1800x, ddr4 3200mhz, rog rx480x2 samsung 2tb ssd on windows 10.1 64bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 7 (817 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: 4k gaming

Community Manager

@drasticenigma

I will say yes, with one proviso. Rather than go for two video cards in CF or SLI, spend all of your GPU budget on one, more expensive card. For the price of two RX480s you could get one top tier card. You will be able to play at 4K max settings but as for actual performance, I'm not sure how many frames per second you can expect. CPU, RAM, SSD and OS are all good.

barry.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (918 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@drasticenigma

I will say yes, with one proviso. Rather than go for two video cards in CF or SLI, spend all of your GPU budget on one, more expensive card. For the price of two RX480s you could get one top tier card. You will be able to play at 4K max settings but as for actual performance, I'm not sure how many frames per second you can expect. CPU, RAM, SSD and OS are all good.

barry.png
Message 2 of 7 (919 Views)

★ Pro

I agree with EA Barry that it's better to get one better card since most games won't be optimized for dual video cards.

Personally I am holding off on 4k graphics till at least the next generation video cards though because the current generation like the GTX1080Ti on the Nvidia side can do 4k but not what I would call comfortably.

Just my opinion.

Message 3 of 7 (784 Views)

★ Guide

@EgoMania wrote:

I agree with EA Barry that it's better to get one better card since most games won't be optimized for dual video cards.

Personally I am holding off on 4k graphics till at least the next generation video cards though because the current generation like the GTX1080Ti on the Nvidia side can do 4k but not what I would call comfortably.

Just my opinion.

Same here. 4k is nice, but its not performing well enough as standard yet for it to be "mainstream". A generation or two of new gpu's and it will be more viable for more people. And as said a single powerful card is always the best choice.

Message 4 of 7 (779 Views)

★★★ Pro
My gtx titan x can handle 4k, on high without issue, and ultra with a noticable frame drop, but still very playable... err, most of the time.
Message 5 of 7 (733 Views)

★★ Novice
Awesome thankyou very much. I'll save my sheckles while waiting for new generation gpu.
Message 6 of 7 (716 Views)

★ Guide

I run the game in 4k with about 40-60 FPS with the following rig:

Ryzen 1600X

Msi b350 tomahawk

16GB memory @ 2667

Msi 1070 gaming X @ 1650 clock, @ 2177 memory

Settings are usually at high, apart from motion blur (off), shadows (med), lighting (low), texture (ultra), texture filtering (ultra), SSAO.

I took a lot of input from internet sources about the degree of performance and visual impact. As starters:
https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/60w764/no_spoilers_mass_effect_andromeda_graphics/

It has to be said that 4K VSR/DSR/pure at medium/high settings provides a far better image quality than 1080p Ultra settings.

Message 7 of 7 (679 Views)