j28red

Re: FIFA14 FUT HANDICAP DISGUSTING

@dortyhorrse

yeah right and dont blame me for the rivers either

thanks for your valid input - very helpful in the discussion :manwink:

Keeper
gazmsmith

@j28red - do you know how a handicap system works? You don't handicap the less skilled player you handicap the good one - in theory creating a fair game. So no, you weren't probably being handicapped, it was the 'world beaters' being handicapped thus giving you an advantage.
And it was you who said that you struggle to use all the trigger buttons when defending as it's too much to think about. You're hardly convincing me that you're any good.
Our issue is not being beaten by the better player, I enjoy tough games and where someone beats me through skill, it pushes me to get better. What I can't stand is where I lose games where I don't have any control over the situation - time and time again.
And like I said in my last post, more possession and shots doesn't guarantee a win and I'm sure Jose understands that too, but if his players started acting like idiots for no reason and causing the team to lose, I think he would have a problem.
Oh, and I don't play FUT, I just play online seasons. So I really don't know about that. I believe the handicap/momentum/scripting is built into the whole game.
Protector
j28red

@gazmsmith

How on earth would the game know you are a "less skilled player" than your opponent? You could simply not play for the first 5 mins would the game suddenly say Ah this lads no good lets handicap his opponent quick ... then when you start playing does it say Oh No this lads tricked us quick handicap him - the game can barely manage a to bring on a sub without crashing do you really think it could handle all that!

... its not Skynet the system is not self-aware .. the Terminator won't bust in while you are playing the gold cup with his Uzi :smileyvery-happy:

If you read the thread most posts state that there "84 rated" team is being Hanicapped when playing against poor Gold or Silver teams - nothing to do with skill of the human player. What they are saying is "i have bought the best team so i should win every game"  - On the 1st page of this thread 8 out of 10 posts are saying this - read them!!

not really bothered to be honest just get fed up when i beat players and i get PM's saying "scripted" or "handicaped" no you lost - deal with it :smileysurprised:

Keeper
gazmsmith

[ Edited ]
The skill level of each player is determined from their previous games. FIFA keeps a profile of each player, how many shots per game, goals conceded, goals scored, possession and many more. From these statistics you could build up a skill level. Very similar to Battlefield which also keeps a load of stats from your games and it also gives you a skill level - not sure if you're familiar with it? So let's say, FIFA uses that skill level, two players connect to a game, takes the two skill levels and determines which player will be handicapped. Let's say for example you get a 5% stat reduction across the field. That's one way you could do it on this earth. And thanks for reassuring me that Arnold isn't going to pop in with his gun.
Protector
j28red

@gazsmith

does it not just match you with a player your level (the thing that opens the shop gifts?) with roughly the same team star rating?

Thought it did as if i have a good game i often "friend" the player and they are almost always the same level as me.

could be wrong ... and look out it might not be Arnie it could be the melting one from T2 .........arrrgggghhh :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

hey ho its only a game ...

Keeper
Armstrong

All the people above are not idiots ea... there skilful players that take time to come onto forums and highlight problems....we're not ranting kids!!!! I'm a die hard gamer and iv bought every fifa ....if pro ev gets there **bleep** together......fifa finished!!!!!!

Keeper
gazmsmith

Seasons it will match you with a similar division and star level. Often in div 1 I play div 2 players. And I'm not saying that's the handicap method they use. Tbh using the word handicap might not be right, like scripting implies that the winner is already predetermined, which I don't think it is. I just feel that there is a system in place that effects the ability of the players - something is doing something! I don't know. I just wanted to see if other people are expierencing similar problems which seams to be the case. I don't like the game when it pretty much hands me the game - that also takes away any joy of winning. The other day my oppositions goalkeeper had a nightmare in goal, twice he fumbled into his own net, so I score two own goals to keep it all square. Eventually I lose the game lol.
And you're right it is just a game, my wife tells me that every time arsenal lose lol
And can I pick the girl in the last terminator please :smileywink:

Lookout
Big_Bad_Mushroom

There have been some good ideas here, I particularly like the idea about compiling stats from previous games then doing some type of across the board stat cut to the player with the highest ability rating. This would also include team rating of course, thus a silver team against a gold team, the gold team player would get a stat reduction across the board.

In this scenario, If you had a record of consistent wins and used a rare gold team with a rating of 84, and then you played a person who had a lower win rating and also had a 77 ranked team, then you would get a large across the board stat reduction to balance the supposed effort. But if they guy with the 77 rated team was actually just as good as you, but just lost more often because of the team he used, or because he was just in a higher division, then chances are he would have a pretty good advantage over you with the across the board stat reduction you would suffer.  

NOTE: relative to the recent conversation was about how teams are matched: In regular season they are matched by star level, division, some degree of control settings, and internet connectviity, in FUT seasons, teams are not matched by anything other than speed of connection, and attempt to match by closest player level (at least in fifa 13 they did the player level, they might not anymore). So basically there is not a pre-game balance. This would make sense for EA to then do a post match balance in the way of stat cuts, in order to encourage players new to FIFA to still play, have fun, and spend money. 

I have tested the theory out quite a few times and this is what I found: If you switch to a silver rated team during a win streak, and you come against a high rated gold team, it doesn't work well, you just end up with a lower rated team and lose, but if you switch to a silver rated team after losing streak, then get matched against a gold player, you will notice the other teams players showing subtle degrees of bad luck, such as missed passes, Falcao missing 3 headers in a row, Vidic, an 87 rated defender, having trouble stopping a 73 rated striker, etc. 

On the other side, I have played against 89 rated teams wth an 83 rated team after having a non stop win streak for 2 divisions, and had my ass handed to me. I can then come across a few 87-89 rated teams with my 83 rated team after having lost a few matches in a row, and find them to be a good match. Personally I'd prefer to come across an 89 rated team when I'm on a losing streak, than a 75 rated team when I'm on a winning streak. 

Keeper
gazmsmith

[ Edited ]
You could also introduce a momentum theory here too. Let's say you are on a fine run of form and go 10 games unbeaten, therefore your players are high of confidence which would actually mitigate some of the handicap. And also the same if you're losing a few games, players are down miss more shots and make more mistakes and so your handicap is slightly worse. Which, if FIFA was actually using this method, I wouldn't mind my players missing stupid shots or passes, I'd adjust in my tactics, use subsituions and so on. I actually like the idea, it's adds another dimension to the game.
Lookout
Big_Bad_Mushroom

Yea, I didn't want to go into that in the last message, seemed to complicated all at once, but it seems there is a momentum issue at work very similar to what you describe (at least in FUT). I have noticed that win streaks are hard to break, but once they get broken it seems like the team loses a little something until a few more consistent wins. 

I guess all of this together makes for something that wouldn't exactly be called a handicap as much as algorithmic scripting which some may learn to take advantage of.