Batman Arkham City GOTY how to save?

by Slackbladder2000

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Batman Arkham City GOTY how to save?

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

So, I got this game ages ago but only now started to play it. However GfWL is dead so I can not login and therefore save my progress. How can I do this? Is there a patch or a fix for this, please?

Message 1 of 11 (16,485 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Batman Arkham City GOTY how to save?

Community Manager

@IgandCro Unfortunately that only applies to EA's own games and some select 3rd party games, but not Arkham City. 

I was able to start up another GFWL game, Bulletstorm, and after some "fun"(you still need to force shutdown the game to let updates apply) I was able to start. 

It seems the "shutdown" status of GFWL is exaggerated, and that the service is still up. I did need to jump through some hoops (the link to reset password didn't work, I needed to do that through the MS website), but I was able to get things running. Going  back to the start I'd try a clean reinstall of anything related to gfwl, perhaps the earlier workarounds were part of the current problems. 

Sorry that I haven't been able to more efficiently assist, we have less of a focus on older and 3rd party games. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 10 of 11 (18,479 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey, I've played my old Steam version recently (Arkham knight hype) and other than needing to start a fresh save file, I had no issues with saving. 

Try ignoring any GFWL "no save" messaging then make some progress. 

Check My Documents/WB Games\Batman Arkham City GOTY to see if local saves are being created. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 11 (16,461 Views)

★★ Novice

We bought the game on ORIGIN, not Steam ! Also same problem, can't save my progress in the game. How can you sell a game if it is broken ?

Message 3 of 11 (16,087 Views)

Community Manager

@IgandCro My point was that the GFWl shutdown was long ago, and with my own testing I was able to save without issue, a year and a half after the shutdown. The Steam and Origin versions shouldn't be fundamentally different.

Are saves being created at the location above? You should be able to play on an offline account and everything should work without issue. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 11 (16,078 Views)

★★ Novice
I understand that GFWL had a shutdown but does that mean that Origin can sell an unfinished/broken product ?
Searching internet I found out the same problem was on Steam but they patched/fixed it.
Another problem was that I could not install the game because of relase date check problem. Again faulty product that Origin sells. Changin the date to 2012 somehow managed to activate/start the game. Then switched back to current date.
And no, the game does not save anything, and I can't find any save file where you mentioned because it's empty.
And yes, the game works for you because you have it on steam.
I wouldn't say nothing if the game is broken, aldo that is not correct, but Origin is selling the game today, and when customers buy it, they have problems with installing/activating and eventually no save file.
Try to install Batman AC goty edition from Origin and tell me your experience. Thanks in advance
Message 5 of 11 (16,073 Views)

Community Manager

Unfortunately I don't have access to a copy right now. I'll try to find one, but for now hopefully we can do something to move forward. 

Can you try to "install" GFWL again using the steps in this article: https://help.ea.com/en/article/im-having-trouble-with-my-third-party-game-download-from-origin-on-wi...

Also can you try running the actual game as an Administrator? This could be a simple write permissions issue. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 11 (16,063 Views)

★★ Novice

I installed GFWL and when I try to launch it, it does not want to connect hence that service is no longer available. I also tried already with " run as administrator " on both the game exe and launcher exe. Still same result. I tried to copy xlive files from C:\Windows\SysWOW64 to C:\Windows\System32 and also that did not work.

Message 7 of 11 (16,050 Views)

Community Manager

So I don't misunderstand, are you prevented from creating an offline account at any point? That was the old "workaround" for GFWL. I still haven't been able to get a copy but I've searched for other cases like this. While save issues are legion, I don't see much in the way of Origin-specific ones. 

Back on the issue, it's somewhat odd, but I did see a reference to running GFWL in Windows 7 Compatibility mode if you're on Windows 8. It's kinda a long shot, but it can't hurt to check. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 11 (16,029 Views)

★★ Novice

I have already xbox or microsoft account on games for windows live because I already played this game. But the problem now is that I can't even start the program, tried what you said with compatibility, and changed even date and still can't start the app. When I start it I get " Can't start the program. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the LIVE service. "

Somehow this game uses apperently that software for saving the game. So I wonder how I can bypass this since there is no this app anymore.

I see that you are really trying to help me out and I really appreciate, but I think it will be much easier also for you if you could get your hands on this game on Origin. Batman Arkham City GOTY. Doesn't ORIGIN have that service if you are not happy with the game they will return you money? If they do have it on this game you can try it like that. Standard smile

Message 9 of 11 (16,020 Views)

Community Manager

@IgandCro Unfortunately that only applies to EA's own games and some select 3rd party games, but not Arkham City. 

I was able to start up another GFWL game, Bulletstorm, and after some "fun"(you still need to force shutdown the game to let updates apply) I was able to start. 

It seems the "shutdown" status of GFWL is exaggerated, and that the service is still up. I did need to jump through some hoops (the link to reset password didn't work, I needed to do that through the MS website), but I was able to get things running. Going  back to the start I'd try a clean reinstall of anything related to gfwl, perhaps the earlier workarounds were part of the current problems. 

Sorry that I haven't been able to more efficiently assist, we have less of a focus on older and 3rd party games. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 11 (18,480 Views)