Re: Dragon Age & Windows 8

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age & Windows 8

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I have installed Dragon Age Origins on my new windows 8 computer. The game loaded ok. I put an icon on my desktop. It does nothing when I click it. I can go from it to the file location ok. It does not load from there either. another game I have installed loads from the icon on the desktop and also from the file location. (Icewind Dale) However if I put the disk in it will load from the disk, and I can play the game fine. What can I look for?

Thanks, Walt

Message 1 of 4 (10,669 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Expert

Well...The disc is required to start the game, but you should be able to get to the launcher from your desktop shortcut just fine.

I loaded both DAO (UE) and DA2 (SE) from the retail discs on my Win8/64-bit rig when I first built it.  Both ran with no problems.  Then I blew that installation away and did a clean install of  Win8 (Pro).  Re-installed both games from the EA/Origin Store, again with no problems for either one...

Does your shortcut (Target) look like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition\DAOriginsLauncher.exe" ?

With a "Start in" path of:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition" ?

(Adjusting for whatever your particular game path is...)

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (10,738 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

Hi mays660,

I would suggest to either try to run the game as administrator or in compatibility mode.

Also make sure you have the latest patch installed. 

Let us know if that worked.

Eve

Message 2 of 4 (10,623 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Well...The disc is required to start the game, but you should be able to get to the launcher from your desktop shortcut just fine.

I loaded both DAO (UE) and DA2 (SE) from the retail discs on my Win8/64-bit rig when I first built it.  Both ran with no problems.  Then I blew that installation away and did a clean install of  Win8 (Pro).  Re-installed both games from the EA/Origin Store, again with no problems for either one...

Does your shortcut (Target) look like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition\DAOriginsLauncher.exe" ?

With a "Start in" path of:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition" ?

(Adjusting for whatever your particular game path is...)

Message 3 of 4 (10,739 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I do not have the ultimate edition was going to purchase it but win 8 I was not sure of what is the wording on the latest patch

Message 4 of 4 (7,666 Views)