Re: Dragon Age Origins toolset unable to connect to database?

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

Dragon Age Origins toolset unable to connect to database?

★★★ Newbie

First of all, I am so so so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area, it's just that I've been trying to get my DAO toolset working for the past three hours and I and super stressed.

For background, I am running Windows 8, 64 bit.

The problem I get is that I've downloaded the toolset, run the installer, but when I try to run the toolset (even as an administrator) it says that it cannot connect to the database.

I've checked the Bioware wiki here:

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Unable_to_connect_to_the_database

And I'm having a few issues with it. Firstly, where it says:

"As a potential source of more information to diagnose the problem with, you could always look for connection errors in both

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG

and

C:\Program Files\Dragon Age\tools\toolssql\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG"
I've checked both pathways, but I don't have an MSSGL10.SQetc. folder, nor do I have a toolssq folder.

Following that, I looked at the flowchart on the same page and answered 'no' to the first question (I did check). The second question, 'Did MSSQL Express install?' is where I'm getting stuck, as I followed the links to download SQL Express 2005, but after downloading and running the installer, it says it's not compatible with my laptop.

I'll also point out that I've tried to configure the toolset to go to one of the Microsoft SQL Server/Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition, but neither of them work.

Please help, I'm just about at the end of my tether with this!
Message 1 of 5 (6,062 Views)

It would be nice if EA would answer this * question. It has been posted for almost 3 years now.

Message 2 of 5 (5,163 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@deb33edb6f41e3252fc1a8df29588b34 wrote:

It would be nice if EA would answer this * question. It has been posted for almost 3 years now.

The AHQ is for player-to-player  self-help and game-play discussions.  No one from EA (except the Community Managers who make sure we're behaving)  visits here, much less anyone from the game development studios (BioWare, in this case.) 

Besides, the DA Toolset was never an officially supported application anyway.  Neither EA nor BioWare is under any obligation to respond to anything about it. No reply in three years is a pretty good indicator that no one reading this has anything worthwhile to contribute.

That said, all the assistance you'll find about this is from other players, and mostly just by googling "Dragon Age Toolset". 

[EDIT: I have been successful in installing and using the Toolset across multiple computers, but I know what to do to adapt things when the "expected" and the "actually installed" version or location of SQL Server aren't the same.  Not everyone can do that, and what needs to be done is so specific to the environment that I can't provide a step-by-step that I'd have any confidence would work for anyone else.]

Message 3 of 5 (5,145 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
Message 4 of 5 (1,914 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with Dragon Age: Origins, please make a new topic about your problems and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 5 of 5 (1,617 Views)