Dragon Age: Origins - DLC Download failed.

by alsvha

Original Post

Dragon Age: Origins - DLC Download failed.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Bought Digital Deluxe Edition (Europe) via EA Store prior to rename/rebrand/rework to Oirigin.

Bought Awakening via same.

Bought all DLC.

Installed DA: O, Installed Awakening, Installed Patch 1.05.

All DLC lists in download with a download failed, at 0 %. (It's a patching service/server issue, as no download ever initializes),

Only Awakening is listed in installed DLCs.  

If I check the manifest.xml file it points me to:

http://biostore.bioware.com/dao_prc/content/DAO_PRC_STR/DAO_PRC_STR_1.1.dadmp

If I check that file it points me to the download:

http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/p/eagames/bioware/dragonage/content/DAO_PRC_STR/DAO_PRC_STR_1.1...

if trying to download that manually I get a 'page not found in the browser.

None of the 'work arounds' work and must admit that I have little interest in installing those many DLCs manually.

THE ISSUE IS NOT SOLVED.

It's not me that has marked it as solved.

Message 1 of 81 (11,178 Views)

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - DLC Download failed.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I'd like to reitiate from the other thread, that when viewing the DLC download list - all required version numbers are listed in red, as if the required version is not fulfilled.

For example the Memory Band DLC has the required game version 1.0 listed in bright red, despite my game version in configuration says 1.05.

It's possible that the game simply does not 'tell' the right version to the patcher and therefore the patching fails? After all, red numbers like that usually denotes an error version in UI design. 

(Although - if I remember right from when the game went live, you could still download such DLCs, just not activate them - but that's some years ago, so might be mistaken)

Also .................

I tried to download Darkspawn Chronicles manually and install it. Then it showed up in Installed Content *however* it also still was listed in Download Progress as a failed download. 
So clearly the game did not recognize it properly. I uninstalled promptly because I had hoped it might  trigger 'something'.

I also tried to install another patch than 1.05 namely 1.02a - but it did not do anything different when entering the game. Same issues. 

There's something seriously amiss here and it's not just a "DNS flush". My money is still on either the game reporting the wrong version or the patching service/server being different from what the patcher expects. 

Message 2 of 81 (11,107 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Just for the heck of it, then I tried creating a different user/logging in with a different user - and found that all the DLC's was still listed; and of course download failed. Red exclamation mark and all.

But it seems the game does not check whether you're actually connected to the various DLC's any more.

My new users saw every single DLC in the download failed list despite not being connected to any. It used to be that you could only attempt download of DLCs assigned to your account.

So - something wrong there as well. 

Message 3 of 81 (11,103 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hi alsvha,

Thanks for the information, I'll pass it along to the studio to help with their investigation.

Please stay tuned for updates.

Cheers,

Eve

Message 4 of 81 (11,098 Views)

Please check our message here and let us know if that worked. 

Message 5 of 81 (11,049 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

It did not work. All it did was a) not allowing me to run the game due to missing an XML file and then b) reinstall which let me back at the start.
But considering how many times I already reinstalled, I must admit that any suggestion to re-install without the mention of something fixed server sides seems ......... pointless and stalling.

Key features of the issue:
Red exlamation mark on tab.
Red game version number required in every DLC, even those requiring 1.0
Faliled download at zero percent with no attempt at the patching seems to actually take place.

Now here's the kicker, which I already mentioned previously:
The update files seems to point to a dead CDN URL indicating there's an error here - namely the URI http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage/offers

I installed a program to monitor my network traffic, because the updater seemed to fail really fast indicating that it was not a timeout. Also because no download was ever initialized it couldn't be a user rights issue - although I did try to run the DA Updater service under a privliged account and with different account settings.

But what I noticed seems to just further underline my supecision that this has to do with the patch server not being located correctly.

So - this is what I saw in the network traffic.

Traffic from my computer to biostore.bioware.com for *.dadmp files

These calls succeeded plus I could open it in a browser.

However in those dadmp files - if you open them up - you see another URI link to the http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage/offers for the dazip files.

However that URI does NOT open in a browser. Also I can NOT ping the URI plus dnsstuff.com does not seem to have any registration information on this domain.
These things lead me to think that http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage/offers is NOT the right URI to download dazip files from.

Could you please confirm that the URI http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage/offers is correct or whether it's incorrect?

Because if it is not correct - it might very well be your problem - if it is correct, I can eliminate it from my own investigation.

After all - it should be pretty straight forward to verify that URI.

Message 6 of 81 (11,021 Views)

★ Novice
Just installed the game on a new hard drive and having exactly the same issue. It must be file server related. Already have tried a lot of suggestions from this sites and others. Tested on Win 8, 7 and Xp.
Message 7 of 81 (11,012 Views)

★ Novice
Please help us resolve this issue seems a lot of user recently are having the problem.
Message 8 of 81 (11,009 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Some further testing and it seems to me that the issue is very much connected to the URI in the dadmp files points to a wrong location for the dazip files which means the updater service cannot download the dazip files.

Message 9 of 81 (11,000 Views)

Message 10 of 81 (10,940 Views)