Re: Can't launch Dragon Age Origins on Windows 10

by Muminnek_4862

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't launch Dragon Age Origins on Windows 10

★★★★ Novice

Hi!

I just installed Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago and i'm in the process of restoring all my things. I had no problem restoring my Steam and GOG library from a backup. Even Uplay was nice to me. But last night i tried to restore my Origin library (10 games) and one game gives me trouble. Dragon Age Origins.

When i try to start the game it gives me this error.

We're sorry, an error has occurred

Invalid license. Reason code = Missing DLL : [NxCharacter.dll] Error : 0x7E.

So far this is what i tried to get the game to work on windows 10 :

- Run Origin with admin priv

- Repair the game

- Run the game directly from the exe with admin priv and windows 8 compatibility mode (daorigins.exe)

- Un-install the game and redownload it.

- Re-install graphics drivers

- Tried to run the game with the AV and firewall turned off.

This is a brand new clean install of windows 10 with a brand new install of Origin and like i said i tried to repair, redownload and re-install the game as well as re-install graphic drivers (even though they were a brand new clean install too).

For people who are wondering i turned off the automatic drivers install and update in windows 10 too. I don't use any AV other than Windows Defender and i use the built in Windows Firewall.

What is strange is The NxCharacter.dll is there in the bin_ship directory with the other dll. So it's clearly not missing at all and can't be corrupted either as i tried to run the game with this file from my backup and from a re-download of the game. Also the rights on the file is the same as all the other files. The admin and system has full control of the file.

Is it a problem with Windows 10?

Please note that everything else is working including all my other Origin games restored from my backup (Crysis, Burnout Paradise and Dead Space).

Anyway would be cool if anybody could help me resolve this as i've yet to finish this game.
Message 1 of 22 (56,208 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice

ok there's been an update to Origin tonight as well as an update to nVidia drivers (both the same night) and now the game works. Dunno which update corrected it but now it's working.

View in thread

Message 4 of 22 (63,376 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Just want to add that i tried to un-install all visual c++ redistribuable and re-install them but it didn't work. There's really nothing i can do to make this game work on windows 10.

Message 2 of 22 (56,041 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The problem seems to be with the ActivationUI.exe program inside the Core folder. The version of this file is 4.6.1. The other Origin games i have installed that are working (Dead Space and Crysis) are using the 4.2.4 version of this (DRM?) program. If i try to replace the 4.6.1 version Dragon age Origins is using by the 4.2.4 version Crysis and Dead Space are using the game doesn't launch but the error is different. It says my game is not well configured and i need to re-install which is normal cause i'm not using the correct version of ActivationUI.exe for this game.

So i don't think the problem is with the game at all. The problem seems to be with ActivationUI.exe 4.6.1.

Using a simple google serach i can see i'm not alone to have problem with ActivationUI.exe. Lot of people do under different games. The dll file listed is different but i guess it's the same problem.

Anyway know how to solve this without re-installing windows? Cause i'm certainly not re-installing windows.

Message 3 of 22 (56,032 Views)

★★★★ Novice

ok there's been an update to Origin tonight as well as an update to nVidia drivers (both the same night) and now the game works. Dunno which update corrected it but now it's working.

Message 4 of 22 (63,377 Views)

★★ Novice

I too am actually having this problem, on a laptop that came with Windows 10 pre-installed. I myself installed Origin, and whilst all the other games I own on Origin work fine, I cannot launch Dragon Age Origins no matter what I try (everything mentioned in the OP's post). It seems that the OP's problem was fixed with patches to the Origin client and to the game itself, however at this point I would assume that having only just this month installed both Origin and the game, that any patches should have been included in the files already downloaded. At this point I'm unsure of what, if anything, I can do to fix this.

Message 5 of 22 (53,748 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I would like to know if you already fix the problem. I want to buy the game but I wanna make sure that it will run on my desktop computer with Windows 10.

Message 6 of 22 (52,460 Views)

★ Novice

Hello, I am having the same problem and the only difference is that I am still on windows 8.1 I have not update to windows 10

Message 7 of 22 (49,476 Views)

★ Guide
Message 8 of 22 (49,323 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks for your help, now I can run the game Heart

Message 9 of 22 (48,691 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Works for me too.